Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-17-2016, 10:28 AM   #1

Who's ready?

Only ~3 weeks away. I can hardly wait.

Got my spares, tools, and gear sorted. Did a dry run packing everything on the bike. My commutes in the mornings on the RX3 and KLR have been frosty so I'm ready for some warm sunny weather and some fish tacos!

http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_29...gs-closes-i-70

Hope they get this mess cleaned up quickly. They should have two way traffic (one lane each way) open by Thursday but not fully repaired for a month! I'm sure the construction delays will be substantial. It will add a couple hours to the drive to CSC for anybody driving West on I-70.

I still may opt for the Southern route depending on weather that will also add a couple hours to the trip.

Still hoping to bring back a TT250. Fingers crossed.

Rojo

Old 02-22-2016, 04:14 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rojo_grande View Post
Only ~3 weeks away. I can hardly wait.

Got my spares, tools, and gear sorted. Did a dry run packing everything on the bike. My commutes in the mornings on the RX3 and KLR have been frosty so I'm ready for some warm sunny weather and some fish tacos!

http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_29...gs-closes-i-70

Hope they get this mess cleaned up quickly. They should have two way traffic (one lane each way) open by Thursday but not fully repaired for a month! I'm sure the construction delays will be substantial. It will add a couple hours to the drive to CSC for anybody driving West on I-70.

I still may opt for the Southern route depending on weather that will also add a couple hours to the trip.

Still hoping to bring back a TT250. Fingers crossed.

Rojo
We will most likely see huge swings in the weather while we are Baja. In the mornings before we cross into BCS (Baja California Sur, the lower half of the Baja peninsula) it will be cold. Once we cross into BCS we'll be approaching the Tropic of Cancer, and it will be most likely be hot and humid. It's likely we'll encounter rain, too (in 25 years of riding Baja, I've only had one ride where we had no rain...that was on the last CSC ride). You'll want to have rain gear. The only real weather challenge is the morning fog that sometimes occurs due to the marine layer. When that happens, we'll just wait it out. I've seen it so thick I couldn't see the road below me.

Old 02-22-2016, 08:01 PM   #3

Joe,
What do you So Cal folks consider cold?

I'm used to the big temp. swings here in Colorado. My commutes in the mornings have been in the 20's and the ride home in the mid 50's.

Did a trip on the KLR last year in June. Was in the 50's when I left Parker, in the upper 70's when I got past Pueblo, and in the 30's with raining/snowing going over Cordova pass in the Spanish Peaks. All this within ~250 miles but ~4000+ ft elevation change.

I have rain gear and few sets of gloves on the pack list. Jacket with a removable liner as well.

Rojo

Old 02-22-2016, 09:35 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rojo_grande View Post
Joe,
What do you So Cal folks consider cold?

I'm used to the big temp. swings here in Colorado. My commutes in the mornings have been in the 20's and the ride home in the mid 50's.

Did a trip on the KLR last year in June. Was in the 50's when I left Parker, in the upper 70's when I got past Pueblo, and in the 30's with raining/snowing going over Cordova pass in the Spanish Peaks. All this within ~250 miles but ~4000+ ft elevation change.

I have rain gear and few sets of gloves on the pack list. Jacket with a removable liner as well.

Rojo
I have become something of a wuss since moving to So Cal. To me, if my visor fogs, it's cold.

We won't encounter any freezing conditions in Baja, but we might experience low 50s or so in the early morning. That's a maybe. To this So Cal boy, that's cold.

Old 02-22-2016, 09:46 PM   #5

I'm not too concerned about the temps, unless there is snow I plan on riding from the western slope of CO and planning on below freezing temps when I leave CO and Flagstaff the following morning. I just finished installing heated grips and a plug in for my heated vest. Once in SoCal I'm sure it will pretty mild compared to what I've ridden through leaving CO. Thought this is a record El NiƱo year (in theory) and there could be a giant storm crossing the sour western US. In that case I'll be hauling the bike out on the back of the 4Runner. I won't really know the return weather when I leave so riding home might be intresting. But hey that's what it's an adventure...