Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2017, 12:23 PM   #16

take a pair of pliers and jump the two large terminals on your starter solenoid... thatw ill tell you if you have a bad or weak solenoid...should turn over nice and fast when you jump those, if it doesnt i would look for a bad crimp on one of the wires between the battery and starter... should be almost no resistance in those wires, if you have a multi meter to check the resistance it will help greatly to track down.... .

Old 11-21-2017, 09:11 AM   #17

You shouldn't be having to kickstart it that many times ever with the Hawk. While it's apart you really really should check the valves clearance and also put a good spark plug in the bike, not their cheap one that came with it.

Old 11-21-2017, 06:12 PM   #18

to kick start my hawk put it at half chock and takes 4-5 kicks most days.
13' long chopper in progress
2009 johnny pag bar hog
2004 hd electra glide ultra classic shriner edition
1997 harley davidson 1200 sportster
1972 harley davidson amf sx250

Old 01-25-2018, 08:45 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fame28 View Post
You shouldn't be having to kickstart it that many times ever with the Hawk. While it's apart you really really should check the valves clearance and also put a good spark plug in the bike, not their cheap one that came with it.

I did replace the spark plug a long time ago and i adjusted the valves too. The HAWK has just always been like that for some reason. I had read on here that some other guys have had that same issue with their hawk as well and never bothered using the kick start unless they had too. Like I said before, FROM a dead, freezing cold, start I have started it in ONE kick but then one time I had it running, stopped to get gas and i then sat at the gas station kicking the bike for 5 minutes because it wouldnt go... When the cold start of the day only took 3-5 kicks a few minutes before.

Old 01-26-2018, 09:05 PM   #20

seems like the choke is on or partially on. with it warm and half choke it wont kick start no matter how many times you kick it. (if jetted right)
13' long chopper in progress
2009 johnny pag bar hog
2004 hd electra glide ultra classic shriner edition
1997 harley davidson 1200 sportster
1972 harley davidson amf sx250

Old 01-27-2018, 04:09 AM   #21

Just my 2 cents. Hot or "warm" kick starting my Hawk I can usually get it in around 2 kicks on average. I have good luck with just slightly cracking the throttle before kicking it over, no choke or half choke depending on the air temp and how long it sat.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 01-27-2018, 08:06 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadan View Post
Just my 2 cents. Hot or "warm" kick starting my Hawk I can usually get it in around 2 kicks on average. I have good luck with just slightly cracking the throttle before kicking it over, no choke or half choke depending on the air temp and how long it sat.
same here... i dont have a hawk, but very similar engine in my roketa... half the time, (i.e. air temps of 50+F) i dont even use the choke on a cold start.... crack the throttle about 1/8 turn and kick.... usually takes on the 3rd kick...