Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-07-2017, 08:32 AM   #1

Hawk 250 Pannier Racks

Got a happy new tool (toy...same thing) for the shop last night. A pipe bender!

Not bad for $150 off fleabay, but it is exactly what I needed for building one of the most ambitious farkles for our Hawks...pannier racks.

I took inspiration from for the idea, where to mount and how. Mine will be more complex and made out of 1/2" carbon steel tubing. We bent the pannier supports last night and I'm really happy with how the tool performs. We may have to move it to have the space for the more complex bends to come.

At first I wanted to make just simple loops connected by welded stringers to a top rack, much like a lot of designs I've seen. But talking with E about the design and some appropriate and *ahem* inappropriate sketches of bat-winged dicks later (dont ask) we had a more finalized design. There will be a top rack that connects down low at the passenger pegs, then the pannier supports welded to that rack and supported with stringers to each other and the top rack. I don't have a super clear picture of our sketches for this description but I will post more pictures as we make progress. This design is nice in that you still get the pannier supports as well as a place for a passenger if needed, rather than a giant rack over the seat, reducing the usefulness of the bike and making maintenance more complicated.

More to come, stay tuned!

Old 04-08-2017, 12:33 AM   #2

Def keeping tabs on this! Been trying to figure out some ideas to fit a small rack on my Interceptor.
'80 Honda XL185S
'76 Yamaha DT250C dual sport
Baja Wilderness Trail 250
'07 Honda Shadow 750 Areo Trike
'01 Harley Davidson Softail Deuce
Polaris Magnum 425 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyj812 View Post
You can't pin this one on me, my wife is still mad at me. I don't need your wife mad at me too. LOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LZ View Post
Disclaimer: The above post by 2LZ is in no way the view of this site, other members or Bruce's llama. It is the opinion of 2LZ and 2LZ alone. ;-)

Old 04-08-2017, 11:51 AM   #3

I really enjoyed that video! Thanks for posting it.

I'd love to hear more about your bender; does it come with an assortment of dies? Do you have an eBay link for it? I like your idea of using steel tubing that is stronger than EMT. I've also heard stories of Cycleracks (what the video rack was inspired by) cracking, so I'd add a third mounting point to the frame, behind the seat. I'm looking forward to following your progress.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 04-08-2017, 12:20 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
I really enjoyed that video! Thanks for posting it.

I'd love to hear more about your bender; does it come with an assortment of dies? Do you have an eBay link for it? I like your idea of using steel tubing that is stronger than EMT. I've also heard stories of Cycleracks (what the video rack was inspired by) cracking, so I'd add a third mounting point to the frame, behind the seat. I'm looking forward to following your progress.
I like the rack design in the post. I can kind of figure out how to do something like that with the Interceptor. There are 4 points i could very easily use for mounting. The original muffler mounts on the rear sets and the rear signal light mounts as they bolt to the frame.
'80 Honda XL185S
'76 Yamaha DT250C dual sport
Baja Wilderness Trail 250
'07 Honda Shadow 750 Areo Trike
'01 Harley Davidson Softail Deuce
Polaris Magnum 425 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyj812 View Post
You can't pin this one on me, my wife is still mad at me. I don't need your wife mad at me too. LOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LZ View Post
Disclaimer: The above post by 2LZ is in no way the view of this site, other members or Bruce's llama. It is the opinion of 2LZ and 2LZ alone. ;-)

Old 04-10-2017, 11:46 AM   #5

Found the link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Manual-pipe-...gAAOSwPhdVNaPR

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 04-11-2017, 09:48 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
Thats the one! Comes with a lot of different dies and its pretty beefy, though Acme screw nut that moves the arm roller in is made of some glass-fiber reinforced plastic. I hope it holds up. Still a hell of a lot cheaper than other similar benders.

Old 04-25-2017, 06:12 AM   #7

Progress so far:

Got the main part of one of them bent after the trial run. I could not find more of the tubing that I started with, so I found some 1/2" with .135 wall, a bit smaller diameter but I feel with the thickness it will still be sturdy. I get the feeling things are going to bend on tip overs and I just hope we can bring them back in and move on.

I was pleased with how well the final part of the bend went to reach the passenger peg bolt.

The next step will be to cut some lengths to go across the back to create the rear rack (narrow part). Some small, sturdy angle brackets will be welded to these cross bars and line up with the four holes on the rear rack. The wider part of the rack will support the panniers with a couple of hoops that will drop down directly from the wide part of the rack. They will also be supported by tubing across the back fender and a runner to the angled portion that goes to the passenger peg.

I feel good about the design. I feel like it may not be as useable as I thought if we have to carry a passenger but it will serve its purpose and I don't feel like its bad for a somewhat first time. I've made a similar towing rig before but not with bends, just cut and welded lengths of tubing.

Old 04-25-2017, 09:22 AM   #8

That's xxxl. You can carry livestock with that one I actual purchased conduit but opted for my smaller plate type guards instead (and I didn't have a tube bender)
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 04-25-2017, 12:27 PM   #9

That's coming along nicely. I'm looking forward to the finished product.

Old 04-26-2017, 07:45 AM   #10

Sometimes you're the car, sometimes you're the deer staring at the pretty lights.

We are rapidly approaching crunch time for our adventure and there is still much to finish on the bikes. And I still have to fix our little Mazda pickup's brakes. Which were designed by a madman.

Understanding this and being the expedient and amazing woman that I love, Elizabeth designed and built some quickie pannier racks that would just bolt on and require no welding! This is important, since I do not currently own a welder and had some vague notion to borrow the use of a friend's but no actual plan

I like that it is simple and elegant and with the bag straps not resting on the racks, all they do is keep the bags from swinging inward. We might add a rear brace to help but that would not take long with a drill and a few bolts. Good enough for our trip! I still would like to create the racks we originally had in mind, but when you are running out of time, what does the trick trumps grandiose plans!

She even improved the design when she formed the second set! I might go get more tubing and duplicate this one, it looks sharp!

I am a lucky lucky boy.

Old 04-26-2017, 11:36 AM   #11

As I often say, finished is better than perfect.

Have you considered the purchase of a MIG welder?

Old 04-26-2017, 02:56 PM   #12

I had a production level duty cycle TIG but it was about 500 lbs and I wouldn't have had the right hookup at my new place anyway. I want a MIG, that might end up happening before too long!

Old 04-26-2017, 08:53 PM   #13

Is that emt conduit ? Looks right from what we can see. Any chance of pic without the bag to see where else it's attached.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 04-27-2017, 12:45 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by emptyschmitz View Post
I had a production level duty cycle TIG but it was about 500 lbs and I wouldn't have had the right hookup at my new place anyway. I want a MIG, that might end up happening before too long!
I've had a little experience with the Eastwood 135, and it's a decent little welder for the price. It doesn't have enough power to use 0.030" effectively; it's a strange sensation to feel the wire pushing your hand away from the work. If you use 0.025", it's a versatile little welder up to about 3/16" or so. The feature that sets it apart from other entry-level welders is the infinite voltage control, much like a Miller.

Of course, if you can part with the cash, a Miller will make you very happy.

Old 04-27-2017, 02:53 PM   #15

A real chinese welder!

Hi all, not to get your thread sideways, but I just bought this bitchin welder from Sears, although you can get it from Home Depot, Amazon, EBAY etc... i paid only $282 including shipping! It doesn't come with the Argon regulator, but I bought one on EBAY FOR $11. It is a Drisco 150. At 240 volts it welds at 150 amps and at 120 volts it welds at 120 amps.
It will do ARC, MIG and Flux welding! It is 240/120 volt capable and it sure works well. The wire feed works well and can weld .25, .30 and .35 flux or MIG wire. Here are some photos:Name:  20170427_121312.jpg
Views: 1563
Size:  92.4 KB

Name:  20170427_121355.jpg
Views: 1589
Size:  88.0 KB

Name:  20170427_121446.jpg
Views: 1549
Size:  90.3 KB

Name:  20170427_121601.jpg
Views: 1558
Size:  90.5 KB

Name:  20170427_121821.jpg
Views: 1559
Size:  93.5 KB

I have used a big_old Lincoln before, But I am just learning the MIG and Flux stuff.