Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Everything Else
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-2018, 09:03 PM   #1

Tractor Mania!

Figured i might as well lump the tractors into their own thread for now as it will be easy enough to keep it organized for them.

First one is a 1992 John Deere SX95 RER (Rear Engine Rider). It has a 12.5 Hp Kawasaki engine with electric start and a 38" twin blade deck. What it needs mostly is a carb clean and the belts reinstalled for the deck. Other then that a battery and a few odds and ends like a new ignition switch to be properly functional.

This pic is from last fall just after i got it. It was snowing the day it was delivered.

Here it is with today's purchase..

Which brings us to this rig. An older Allis Chalmers 405 RER. This one has a 5 Hp Briggs and Stratton on it. All the wiring has been disconnected so it is pretty much as simple as a push lawn mower. It mostly needs a proper kill switch, new belts off of the engine for the deck and drivetrain and some sort of steering wheel. Will more then likely will order a steering wheel off of wish or something and make my own adapter to mount it. This will allow me to mount it a bit higher to clear my knees.

Like i mentioned in the what did you buy thread i may end up with a few more JD projects in the near future.

I am seriously considering the idea of building a small snow blade for the Allis for winter use. Kinda have it figured out in my head to mount it off of the front pivot for the deck and have a support arm go back to the chassis to stop it from pole vaulting the machine while in use. Figure it could be a fun way to clear snow during winter. However this idea may not happen if i get one of the bigger JDs i can put a proper blade or blower on.
'80 Honda XL185S
'76 Yamaha DT250C dual sport
Baja Wilderness Trail 250
'07 Honda Shadow 750 Areo Trike
'01 Harley Davidson Softail Deuce
Polaris Magnum 425 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyj812 View Post
You can't pin this one on me, my wife is still mad at me. I don't need your wife mad at me too. LOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LZ View Post
Disclaimer: The above post by 2LZ is in no way the view of this site, other members or Bruce's llama. It is the opinion of 2LZ and 2LZ alone. ;-)

Old 06-01-2018, 09:41 AM   #2

Fun little fact is that the Allis Chalmers is a twin machine to a machine built by Simplicity around the same time called the Wonderboy. What is unique about both is they came with either a steering wheel or a steering loop much like one would find on a bumper car which is more or less like using handle bars like this one is fitted now. One thought i have already kicked around is actually just getting another steering stem from a bike and fitting some BMX handlebars to it to gain that same knee clearance. Meaning i could set up the steering without fabbing anything really.. I can easily turn the front wheels lock to lock with the current bar on it. I am just concerned about the flimsy metal that the clamp on there now is made from. I will need to replace the fuel tank on it as there is a leak at the seam plus the fuel fill cap points straight up towards the engine shroud. I have noticed there are tanks for these engines with an angled fuel cap which is what this most likely had on its original engine. The machine itself is from around the mid to late 70's while the current engine was swapped onto it in the early 90s when the engine was brand new. The friend i bought the mower from has another 5 Hp briggs that i may grab from him as a backup for this unit. What is ironic is that these engines are the so called "Flathead" 5 hp that seem to be popular in both karting and mini bikes. Due to which there is a lot of aftermarket support for it in terms of performance upgrades. So i may actually play with this a bit to get a bit more out of one of them. See if i can't gain a bit more usable power out of the little guy.
'80 Honda XL185S
Polaris Magnum 425 4x4

Quote:
You can't pin this one on me, my wife is still mad at me. I don't need your wife mad at me too. LOL
Quote:
Disclaimer: The above post by 2LZ is in no way the view of this site, other members or Bruce's llama. It is the opinion of 2LZ and 2LZ alone. ;-)

Old 06-01-2018, 12:02 PM   #3

So cool! I love little tractors. I once converted an old Cadet 85 RER for towing Jr. dragsters about 11 years ago. It was an ideal foundation, with an 8.5hp motor and electric start. I geared it up considerably for more speed, but not as much as I should have.
I love the idea about pushing snow with one of your tractors. I agree that the pivot point should be under the axle.
I'll be following along!

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 06-01-2018, 03:55 PM   #4

I dig RERs.

Old 06-01-2018, 07:10 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
So cool! I love little tractors. I once converted an old Cadet 85 RER for towing Jr. dragsters about 11 years ago. It was an ideal foundation, with an 8.5hp motor and electric start. I geared it up considerably for more speed, but not as much as I should have.
I love the idea about pushing snow with one of your tractors. I agree that the pivot point should be under the axle.
I'll be following along!

It should be an interesting project. I may have a lead on a few extra engines for it as well including an 8hp briggs that may just end up on there for awhile while overhauling the current 5 hp. The 8 would then probably end up in a mini bike or something...time will tell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben2go View Post
I dig RERs.

They are def an interesting layout for sure...guess they figured out that it is more ideal for certain applications considering how the current Zero turn mowers are laid out lol
'80 Honda XL185S
Polaris Magnum 425 4x4

Quote:
Quote:

Old 06-01-2018, 09:12 PM   #6

My little Murray was one of the first to have that tight turn feature, or at least it was one that first started advertising it in the late 80s or early 90s when they dressed them up and changed the color from a darker metallic red to black.

Old 06-01-2018, 11:16 PM   #7

Looked at this unit when i looked at the truck again today. Can probably snag it for free.

Lawnboy of unknown year with an 8 hp briggs.

'80 Honda XL185S
Polaris Magnum 425 4x4

Quote:
Quote:

Old 06-02-2018, 12:48 PM   #8

I have an axle and three speed (with reverse) from an old Cadet 75; are they of any use to you?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 06-02-2018, 01:59 PM   #9

Quote:
I have an axle and three speed (with reverse) from an old Cadet 75; are they of any use to you?

Are we talking front axle and 3 speed transaxle here? Possibly!
'80 Honda XL185S
Polaris Magnum 425 4x4

Quote:
Quote:

Old 06-02-2018, 02:11 PM   #10

Oh before i forget this may soon be become part of the collection. It is at the same location where the Allis was and where my van and camper are at. Not sure what year it is yet but it is a John Deere 66 RER with an 8 hp motor.

'80 Honda XL185S
Polaris Magnum 425 4x4

Quote:
Quote:

Old 06-03-2018, 12:38 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkrider View Post
Are we talking front axle and 3 speed transaxle here? Possibly!
No, it's a divorced transmission that has a vertical belt input and a horizontal sprocket output. The output connects to the rear axle with a chain. You can connect the transmission to any vertical shaft walk-behind mower engine, if you wish. The transmission pinion gear is a little worn, but I think it still has life in it.
It could make a good go-kart setup, particularly with a centrifugal clutch on the output shaft of the motor, rather than a belt and pulley clutch setup like most RER tractors have.

Old 06-04-2018, 11:59 AM   #12

Quote:
No, it's a divorced transmission that has a vertical belt input and a horizontal sprocket output. The output connects to the rear axle with a chain. You can connect the transmission to any vertical shaft walk-behind mower engine, if you wish. The transmission pinion gear is a little worn, but I think it still has life in it.
It could make a good go-kart setup, particularly with a centrifugal clutch on the output shaft of the motor, rather than a belt and pulley clutch setup like most RER tractors have.

Def have my interest as it could very easily be used as part of a bar stool racer too...hmmm

And here are some more pics of the Allis and the JD i currently have..

'80 Honda XL185S
Polaris Magnum 425 4x4

Quote:
Quote:

Old 06-04-2018, 05:31 PM   #13

Quote:

I have/had one of those but I never found the right shift lever. It came from an old rear engine Murray if I remember right.

Old 06-05-2018, 10:29 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben2go View Post
I have/had one of those but I never found the right shift lever. It came from an old rear engine Murray if I remember right.
Mine is from a Cadet 75.

Old 06-05-2018, 07:34 PM   #15

Don't own one, but I'd love to tinker with some lawn tractors. I like those mini hot rods they build on lawn tractor drive trains.