Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-02-2017, 02:24 PM   #541

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHawk16 View Post
Got a chain breaker. I'm good to go. Ordered that chain but it was the last one on Amazon. Need to find another one.
We (as a group) have had great results with Uni-Bear chain. It is pre-stretched, and each pin is peened four ways. It is a long life chain and it is heavy duty. It's on e-bay and Amazon. from time to time....ARH

Old 04-04-2017, 05:07 PM   #542

Ariel Owners Guide

On running in (also called breaking in). There are people who don't believe in running in an engine, transmission, or brakes. But I do. And so, for those who agree, let me quote Ariels little book. "Proper running in of the new engine is of the utmost importance, as misuse during the first few hundred miles will (today we can say may) lead to poor results, and unnecessary expense. Definite running-in speeds cannot be given, as the safe limit of speed absolutely depends on road conditions, etc. Keep the engine turning over easily on small throttle openings, letting it rev, rather than pull slowly on large throttle openings. All motor cycles leaving Selly Oak are in first class condition, but we have to leave the running-in to you. What your engine ultimately becomes depends on YOUR care during the first 500-1000 miles (on a Hawk the 500 mile mark means the engine is broken in). Give yourself lasting satisfaction by using restraint until the piston and cylinder have become seasoned by constant heating and cooling and have acquired first class bearing surfaces and well-fitting rings. During the first few hundred miles running, check all nuts, bolts, screws and spoke nipples, etc, for tightness as parts will bed down during the running-in period thus causing slack bolts, etc. An upper cylinder lubricant (such as Marvel Mystery Oil) added to the fuel will assist valve lubrication and may be used throughout the life of the engine.
It is advisable to change the oil at the 200 mile mark and at 500 miles (for the Hawk) in order to remove any traces of metallic particles and foreign matter which may be liberated during the running-in process"...ARH

Last edited by Ariel Red Hunter; 04-04-2017 at 05:10 PM. Reason: remove excess verbiage

Old 04-05-2017, 11:15 AM   #543

Oil Changes

In my post of yesterday, I mentioned oil changes at 200 and 500 miles. That was what the Ariel works recommended. But they were shipping out their bikes with the best lubricating oils of the day. They also ran in Red Hunter engines for four hours each on the bench, running a fan to absorb some of the horsepower. But the Hawk comes with anti-rust oil in the crank case and transmission, not high quality lubricating oil. So, it is up to YOU to change out the oil before riding the machine very much. I do think that running the engine for a few moments in order to thin out the oil before dumping it is a good idea...ARH

Old 04-06-2017, 12:58 PM   #544

Dear Ariel Red Hunter, just want to thank you for sharing with us the wealth of your knowledge and experience. I catch myself a number of times returning to your comments thinking "What ARH says about this and that?" Finally I've collected almost all of your comments from this thread into one single file (slightly rearranged). It could be downloaded from here -

http://www.mediafire.com/file/l4udsz...pr+5+20127.doc

I named it "ARH Wisdom book". This file will be updated on a regular basis as well.

Thank you for being with us.

Old 04-07-2017, 02:04 PM   #545

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_hawk250 View Post
Dear Ariel Red Hunter, just want to thank you for sharing with us the wealth of your knowledge and experience. I catch myself a number of times returning to your comments thinking "What ARH says about this and that?" Finally I've collected almost all of your comments from this thread into one single file (slightly rearranged). It could be downloaded from here -

http://www.mediafire.com/file/l4udsz...pr+5+20127.doc

I named it "ARH Wisdom book". This file will be updated on a regular basis as well.

Thank you for being with us.
My goodness, did you actually read all the way through Joe Craig's quotes on the fine tuning of singles? That should be an education all by itself. Never mind the description and link to a video about Rudge 250's laying a whole new world of hurt on Ducati OHC 250, and C-15 BSA's. You read all of that stuff?...ARH

Old 04-07-2017, 02:30 PM   #546

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariel Red Hunter View Post
My goodness, did you actually read all the way through Joe Craig's quotes on the fine tuning of singles? That should be an education all by itself. Never mind the description and link to a video about Rudge 250's laying a whole new world of hurt on Ducati OHC 250, and C-15 BSA's. You read all of that stuff?...ARH
ARH, you should start negotiating your royalty fees LOL. I read through some last night.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 04-07-2017, 02:35 PM   #547

Now I need a favor.

The favor is: I need one of you computer genius's to find a way to add an avatar to my signature page. The avatar I want is the art-deco stylised horses head that was the Ariel signature (emblem). Can one of you do this for me? And then I would like to bore you with the bike I've really wanted, but could never get. The triangular framed Cotton with a 350 or 500 J.A.P. engine, and a Burman foot shift transmission. Cotton was a very small motorcycle manufacturer who were famous for this frame. Did well at the TT in the twenties, which is why the two t's in the name are capitalized. Any way, those "80 Bore" J.A.Ps are fascinating to me. James A Prestwich was who the engines were named for, not the island of Japan, by the way. You can google up "CoTTon Motor Cycles" to see what one looked like. Most of the type I'm talking about were made before WW 2. These engines were famous for pulling power, and never since has so little oil circulated to so few parts, and stayed together. And stayed together with enthusiasm I might add. Stock they were 80 mph motor cycles, but, like all overhead J.A.P.'s, could be tuned to well over 90, and some reached 100-110. On one of the strangest oiling systems ever. I will recite the technique of oiling, maybe tomorrow....ARH

Old 04-07-2017, 05:29 PM   #548

Quote:
The favor is: I need one of you computer genius's to find a way to add an avatar to my signature page. The avatar I want is the art-deco stylised horses head that was the Ariel signature (emblem). Can one of you do this for me? And then I would like to bore you with the bike I've really wanted, but could never get. The triangular framed Cotton with a 350 or 500 J.A.P. engine, and a Burman foot shift transmission. Cotton was a very small motorcycle manufacturer who were famous for this frame. Did well at the TT in the twenties, which is why the two t's in the name are capitalized. Any way, those "80 Bore" J.A.Ps are fascinating to me. James A Prestwich was who the engines were named for, not the island of Japan, by the way. You can google up "CoTTon Motor Cycles" to see what one looked like. Most of the type I'm talking about were made before WW 2. These engines were famous for pulling power, and never since has so little oil circulated to so few parts, and stayed together. And stayed together with enthusiasm I might add. Stock they were 80 mph motor cycles, but, like all overhead J.A.P.'s, could be tuned to well over 90, and some reached 100-110. On one of the strangest oiling systems ever. I will recite the technique of oiling, maybe tomorrow....ARH
If you have the image I can resize it or what ever to get it as your avatar
Do you have an image?
Is my avatar what you wanted?

Old 04-07-2017, 06:36 PM   #549

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat67 View Post
If you have the image I can resize it or what ever to get it as your avatar
Do you have an image?
Is my avatar what you wanted?
That's actually the North American Ariel Owners Club badge, but since I'm a member, it will do fine. Thank you. Now how do we get it on my page?

Old 04-07-2017, 06:43 PM   #550

Quote:
That's actually the North American Ariel Owners Club badge, but since I'm a member, it will do fine. Thank you. Now how do we get it on my page?
PM sent

Old 04-07-2017, 06:49 PM   #551

Quote:
PM sent
Rather attractive in an old fashioned machine age style, don't you think?

Old 04-07-2017, 06:52 PM   #552

Quote:
Rather attractive in an old fashioned machine age style, don't you think?
I liked it but it is special to you so I removed it from my profile and avatar

Old 04-07-2017, 07:50 PM   #553

Quote:
I liked it but it is special to you so I removed it from my profile and avatar
You shouldn't have done that. Having two Ariel lovers on here is better than only one. Although the horse is only used for the red hunter, because, in England they wear red and ride a type of horse called a hunter, when they are out annoying the foxes....ARH

Old 04-07-2017, 08:00 PM   #554

Quote:
You shouldn't have done that. Having two Ariel lovers on here is better than only one. Although the horse is only used for the red hunter, because, in England they wear red and ride a type of horse called a hunter, when they are out annoying the foxes....ARH
Let me know if you need any help getting them set up in you user profile

Old 04-08-2017, 03:16 AM   #555

Quote:
We (as a group) have had great results with Uni-Bear chain. It is pre-stretched, and each pin is peened four ways. It is a long life chain and it is heavy duty. It's on e-bay and Amazon. from time to time....ARH
Thanks for the heads up! That's the exact chain I grabbed off ebay due to your suggestion.

I'm a new Hawk owner (just left TX on a brown truck), but have been lurking a few weeks. I also have the mikuni knockoff and jets coming, and will be performing surgery on the header pipe and air box right off the bat.