Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-11-2023, 10:15 AM   #1

Xpro Hawk 125 DB-K015 opinions?

Does anyone here have any knowledge or experience with the Xpro Hawk 125 model DB-K015? It appears to be a dual sport bike, it has lights and plate holder for road use, but still has the dirt bike suspension and tires. Does it have the same 125cc engine that is in all the other Chinese dirt bikes? Is it a decent enough bike for someone who is learning? My wife wants to learn to ride, first learning off road to build her skills and confidence before going on the street. I was thinking that if she could use the same bike for both, it would really help her out. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	47B89796-2D1D-4631-9F79-916416264466.jpeg
Views:	84
Size:	193.8 KB
ID:	28776  

Old 03-11-2023, 11:39 AM   #2

The engine is a durable and broadly used Zongshen ZS154FMI-2 123.7cc OHC 4-speed. That is a good place to start. You can google that engine model number and find out how many pit bikes and even quads like the Pentora use this engine. Tons of parts available and it is wired for CDI ignition. There are probably over a million units out there still running all over the world. It is a very useful powerplant.

The 125 Hawk frame, swingarm, components and controls are surprisingly upgraded. Here is what I notice:

Cast alloy bear claw folding footpegs
Folding gearshift lever
Upside Down front forks
Fully accessible engine, Head (valves) and carb for easy maintenance
Kill switch
The switches on the handlebar look identical to mine (TemplarX)
Turn signals are just like mine-led with push button cancel
Same control panel/dash/display I have with bar led type rpm, gear indicator, kph/mph switchable speedo
Swingarm is not the cheap box style with a plate on the end for axel adjustment/chain tension/adjust (look at the axel slot!)

It's not a bad package for $900. It's DOT and EPA approved so you should be able to insure and plate it. I have not personally assembled or ridden this model, It is a little small for me. I would guess that it is very similar in build quality and component quality to most Chinese bikes. A similar Honda or Yamaha will cost you more than 3x as much and isn't street legal. Those bikes will probably last longer if abused (ridden off road hard), but it's hard to say how much longer, and what might fail. Fork seals, swingarm bearings, those sort of things... but these are serviceable items, and if ridden moderately with some hard riding, they should be fairly durable. Those look like KKE front forks, which are not the cheaper forks. There are even shims available for preload stiffening.

It is hard to imagine finding a really better deal, particularly at this price point. I would however, advise that you do not buy it preassembled. You need to go over every parts and install/assemble it right. Use loctite on things like caliper mounting, kickstand, etc. Also, wiring and cable routing is very important to make sure cables last longer and move freely with suspension and do not obscure the speedo/dash. You can lube the cables with silicon spray, for instance. The people that do these assmblies can be in a real hurry, cross-thread bolts (they use power drivers to start threads, not by hand). It's only $1000, but bad assembly can result in future headaches!

Old 03-11-2023, 12:05 PM   #3

Since she is learning to ride, make sure to impress on her that knobbies are not gonna have the grip on the street that they will have in the dirt.
1969 Honda CT90--The Tomahto
Cheesy is the WDK (workplace drama king). Now retired. Nope, back in the saddle.
Climate: The Movie https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A24fWmNA6lM
How our government really works https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjadCd0VRBw
Question all authority.....think for yourself

Old 03-11-2023, 12:13 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
The engine is a durable and broadly used Zongshen ZS154FMI-2 123.7cc OHC 4-speed. That is a good place to start. You can google that engine model number and find out how many pit bikes and even quads like the Pentora use this engine. Tons of parts available and it is wired for CDI ignition. There are probably over a million units out there still running all over the world. It is a very useful powerplant.

The 125 Hawk frame, swingarm, components and controls are surprisingly upgraded. Here is what I notice:

Cast alloy bear claw folding footpegs
Folding gearshift lever
Upside Down front forks
Fully accessible engine, Head (valves) and carb for easy maintenance
Kill switch
The switches on the handlebar look identical to mine (TemplarX)
Turn signals are just like mine-led with push button cancel
Same control panel/dash/display I have with bar led type rpm, gear indicator, kph/mph switchable speedo
Swingarm is not the cheap box style with a plate on the end for axel adjustment/chain tension/adjust (look at the axel slot!)

It's not a bad package for $900. It's DOT and EPA approved so you should be able to insure and plate it. I have not personally assembled or ridden this model, It is a little small for me. I would guess that it is very similar in build quality and component quality to most Chinese bikes. A similar Honda or Yamaha will cost you more than 3x as much and isn't street legal. Those bikes will probably last longer if abused (ridden off road hard), but it's hard to say how much longer, and what might fail. Fork seals, swingarm bearings, those sort of things... but these are serviceable items, and if ridden moderately with some hard riding, they should be fairly durable. Those look like KKE front forks, which are not the cheaper forks. There are even shims available for preload stiffening.

It is hard to imagine finding a really better deal, particularly at this price point. I would however, advise that you do not buy it preassembled. You need to go over every parts and install/assemble it right. Use loctite on things like caliper mounting, kickstand, etc. Also, wiring and cable routing is very important to make sure cables last longer and move freely with suspension and do not obscure the speedo/dash. You can lube the cables with silicon spray, for instance. The people that do these assmblies can be in a real hurry, cross-thread bolts (they use power drivers to start threads, not by hand). It's only $1000, but bad assembly can result in future headaches!
Thanks a lot! That really helps with the decision making. I was planning on doing the assembly myself. I hear a lot of people change out the carb right away. Is this a bike where you need to change the sprockets right away as well? I’ve read that a lot of these Chinese bikes are geared so ridiculously low that first gear is not even usable, to the point that you should just start out in second gear.

Old 03-11-2023, 12:30 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadGuy View Post
Thanks a lot! That really helps with the decision making. I was planning on doing the assembly myself. I hear a lot of people change out the carb right away. Is this a bike where you need to change the sprockets right away as well? I’ve read that a lot of these Chinese bikes are geared so ridiculously low that first gear is not even usable, to the point that you should just start out in second gear.
I wouldn't waste a penny on either the chain/sprockets or the carb initially. Well, maybe rejet the carb if needed, and keep the chain cleaned, lubed and properly tensioned. There will be plenty of time in the future for replacing parts, but the bike will run OK as it comes. Take advantage of the real bargain that this bike is straight out of the box. It will probably be OK for now.

The main reason for sprocket change is to get to taller gearing for the road. You probably don't need that, and if it wears out quickly, THEN buy a chain. If it starts and runs OK, I wouldn't even even bother with the rejetting right away. Focus on changing the oil, and getting the controls set where they are most comfortable, handlebar position (front to back), cable adjusted so clutch is engaging at the right point during pull, etc.

Old 03-11-2023, 12:40 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TominMO View Post
Since she is learning to ride, make sure to impress on her that knobbies are not gonna have the grip on the street that they will have in the dirt.
Once she is ready for the street, it will get better street/dirt hybrid tires.

Old 03-11-2023, 12:46 PM   #7

Quote:
I wouldn't waste a penny on either the chain/sprockets or the carb initially. Well, maybe rejet the carb if needed, and keep the chain cleaned, lubed and properly tensioned. There will be plenty of time in the future for replacing parts, but the bike will run OK as it comes. Take advantage of the real bargain that this bike is straight out of the box. It will probably be OK for now.

The main reason for sprocket change is to get to taller gearing for the road. You probably don't need that, and if it wears out quickly, THEN buy a chain. If it starts and runs OK, I wouldn't even even bother with the rejetting right away. Focus on changing the oil, and getting the controls set where they are most comfortable, handlebar position (front to back), cable adjusted so clutch is engaging at the right point during pull, etc.
Thanks. I have read that the carbs on the Chinese 125 can’t be rejetted, so people replace it with a Mikuni clone or something called a Nibby.

Old 03-11-2023, 06:21 PM   #8

Change the oil and set valve clearances. She'll tell you when changes are needed. I agree self assembly is best.

Old 03-11-2023, 09:47 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadGuy View Post
Once she is ready for the street, it will get better street/dirt hybrid tires.
Knobbies are fine on the road if you aren't trying to break records! For me, the streets just allow me to get to the trail! I do errands too (knobbies). But if you encounter oil or a wet pavement, just drive conservative there. Accelerate gently and don't corner like you are in a GP race !!

Be sensible, you'll be fine. Really...No biggy as long as you aren't Mario Andretti!

Old 03-13-2023, 04:48 PM   #10

Quote:
Knobbies are fine on the road if you aren't trying to break records! For me, the streets just allow me to get to the trail! I do errands too (knobbies). But if you encounter oil or a wet pavement, just drive conservative there. Accelerate gently and don't corner like you are in a GP race !!

Be sensible, you'll be fine. Really...No biggy as long as you aren't Mario Andretti!
Just one more thing that I need to know about the bike. Does it have provisions to add a cargo rack/box on the rear fender like the Hawk 250 does? I cannot tell from the photos of the bike that I can find. Thanks!

Old 05-31-2023, 07:07 PM   #11

The advice from Thumper is all good and accurate. Please allow me to add my two cents. I just purchased this model a couple of months ago. I am an old trail rider from way back. My new machine shares a garage with my Yamaha AT-1CMX that I have owned for 48 years. I wrote the book, The Tiddler Invasion, so I know a lot about the history of small motorcycles in America. I watched the assembly video for this machine numerous times before I chose to order it. As stated, do not use power tools to assemble it. I had only one issue: the headlamp bracket had been welded outside spec and I had to add an additional piece to make it fit. Powersportsmax is a good company in every way but one: they fought me to the death over this part until I had to fabricate my own. Some things are rarely mentioned in these assembly videos, but an old timer like myself was aware. Before you begin make sure you have (1) a stand of some sort to assemble it on, (2) a spoke wrench, (3) axle grease, (4) Loctite, (5) air filter oil, (6) chain lube, (7) 10w40 oil, and (8) a set of open-end metric wrenches. Mine started up immediately and runs perfectly. Yes, it is low-geared but I wanted it that way: I live in a very hilly neighborhood.

Now for the bad news. From what you say, I do not think this is the model for you. Just go to Powersportsmax and select a similar one. I am experienced, 5'10" and as long legged as a giraffe. This is a tall, skinny bike. They make an almost identical model with 17/14 wheels that a shorter person might be happier with. The other thing is you cannot carry squat on this thing. The rear fender is a flimsy little piece of plastic. Lastly, even if some states accept this machine as a street legal bike, that status is questionable at best. If you know the history as I do, you know that motorcycles got new street regs ages ago concerning distance between turn signals and sound levels. The Hawk 125 states "Off Road Use Only" right on the box.

Old 07-05-2023, 06:36 PM   #12

Late to this thread..but.. I had read somewhere that it had been problematic for some people in some states to get tags for this bike as origin title states "Off Road Motorcycle" on it. I was wondering if the op got this bike and if he/she had issues with getting tags in Wisconsin.. I am looking at getting this bike.