Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Everything Else
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-22-2017, 11:35 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkrider View Post

Eh...not so much into the whole "Must LS Swap Everything!" trend that exists now...Give me a good old basic SBC with a QJet or a Holley and i am content. I like being able to fix something on the side of the road with nothing more then a couple wrenches and maybe some bailing wire and/or Duct tape
Save
This used to be the way I thought until I tried to kill a 5.3L LS in a 2000 Suburban 2500. Damn thing is still running as good as new and being used as a company work truck with over 350,000 miles.

There's enough DIY info that an LS swap can be done cheaper than a mild SBC build. More reliable too.

Old 04-23-2017, 08:27 PM   #17

Agreed. If you get a good runner, you don't need to open it up. Like Bruce says, find an old pickup and cannibalize it for everything.

That said, I do appreciate your point about a Q-Jet and an HEI distributor.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 04-23-2017, 11:31 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben2go View Post
This used to be the way I thought until I tried to kill a 5.3L LS in a 2000 Suburban 2500. Damn thing is still running as good as new and being used as a company work truck with over 350,000 miles.

There's enough DIY info that an LS swap can be done cheaper than a mild SBC build. More reliable too.
Don't get me wrong, the LS is a great engine. But it is getting to the point that damn near everybody and his dog and/or cat are swapping LS engines into something....They have basically become the cookie cutter engine for easy power. Same could be said about the SBC long ago but now they are starting to become a thing of the past. Pretty much the moment i see LS listed as part of a project be it in an X body like my Omega or a Square body chevy truck. I tune out of that project pretty quick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
Agreed. If you get a good runner, you don't need to open it up. Like Bruce says, find an old pickup and cannibalize it for everything.

That said, I do appreciate your point about a Q-Jet and an HEI distributor.
I know where i can lay hands on a '99 Sierra with a 4.8 in it for $300. That said...i would rather leave the LS right where it is..in the engine bay of that Sierra. I like the more raw feel of the older carbed and EFI engines. If EFI were to find its way into the Omega it would be in the form of a Crossfire or TPI set up with standalone electronics.
'80 Honda XL185S
'76 Yamaha DT250C dual sport
Baja Wilderness Trail 250
'07 Honda Shadow 750 Areo Trike
'01 Harley Davidson Softail Deuce
Polaris Magnum 425 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyj812 View Post
You can't pin this one on me, my wife is still mad at me. I don't need your wife mad at me too. LOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LZ View Post
Disclaimer: The above post by 2LZ is in no way the view of this site, other members or Bruce's llama. It is the opinion of 2LZ and 2LZ alone. ;-)

Old 04-26-2017, 08:03 PM   #19

"There's enough DIY info that an LS swap can be done cheaper than a mild SBC build."
The Omega is a 1978 model, so it has no fuel return line to the tank and some of the other stuff that EFI requires. Seems like a lot of extra work. Crossfire EFI, as mentioned above, from an 82 vette would look cool, though.
-You are right that it is cheaper to swap in a healthy used motor than rebuild one.

Old 04-26-2017, 09:18 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelbender6 View Post
"There's enough DIY info that an LS swap can be done cheaper than a mild SBC build."
The Omega is a 1978 model, so it has no fuel return line to the tank and some of the other stuff that EFI requires. Seems like a lot of extra work. Crossfire EFI, as mentioned above, from an 82 vette would look cool, though.
-You are right that it is cheaper to swap in a healthy used motor than rebuild one.
It can be set up to have an intank fuel pressure regulator and negate the need for a return line. That is how most modern vehicles are done. My '01 Ranger is that way and so is my GF's '15 Kia Soul.

Old 04-28-2017, 08:44 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelbender6 View Post
I have always kinda liked the looks of the Crossfire set up as it was basically an EFI version of the old Crossram carb set up used in the 1st gen Camaro Z28s

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben2go View Post
It can be set up to have an intank fuel pressure regulator and negate the need for a return line. That is how most modern vehicles are done. My '01 Ranger is that way and so is my GF's '15 Kia Soul.
It can be but i guess the point that is not getting across is that i am not interested in doing an LS swap in this car. It has become too common and frankly boring. Damn near everyone on the nova site i am on is usually tossing in an LS into their cars. To put it on another point of view..if i wanted an LS powered muscle car i would just go looking for a 4th gen Fbody...which would be cheaper still then doing an LS swap to my Xbody. If i do go through the idea of an engine swap in this car it will either be to a LE9 305, L69 305, 305 TPI, 350, 350 TPI, 350 Crossfire or to a 454 big block with a Fitech EFI system. All the above engines are literally drop in and go. The LS requires special engine mounts, spacers to run the old transmission. Standalone wiring if i want to use an electronic transmission. In some cars it even requires changing out all the front engine accessories to clear the chassis. Hell even a twisted part of my mentality has me wanting to go looking for a 327 to build a nice high RPM street brawler. Granted i could easily get there with the TPI set ups as well.

I would rather pop my hood and see this...

Or this

Instead of this..

'80 Honda XL185S
Polaris Magnum 425 4x4

Quote:
You can't pin this one on me, my wife is still mad at me. I don't need your wife mad at me too. LOL
Quote:
Disclaimer: The above post by 2LZ is in no way the view of this site, other members or Bruce's llama. It is the opinion of 2LZ and 2LZ alone. ;-)

Old 04-29-2017, 09:54 AM   #22

Agreed. The LS revs higher and the intake fits under almost any hood, but they don't appeal to me visually. The. low intake and coils. mounted on the valive covers look too efficient.

Old 04-29-2017, 10:08 AM   #23

Just a piece of trivia for ya all

N ova Chevy
O mega Olds
V entura Pontiac
A pollo Buick

Old 04-29-2017, 12:06 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat67 View Post

N ova Chevy
O mega Olds
V entura Pontiac
A pollo Buick
All are considered to be GM X body cars.

Old 04-29-2017, 08:02 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat67 View Post

N ova Chevy
O mega Olds
V entura Pontiac
A pollo Buick
And to add to the Trivia. The earlier Xbody cars shared parts with the 1st gen F bodies. Even the 4th gen Xbodies like my '78 used the front suspension from a 1st gen Camaro. The rear suspension is the same as the 2nd gen F body cars. Makes it interesting to try to sort out full suspension systems as it requires some mix and matching lol. Sound familiar to everyone on here dealing with Hondoids?
'80 Honda XL185S
Polaris Magnum 425 4x4

Quote:
Quote:

Old 05-01-2017, 01:12 PM   #26

I like the Tuned Port pic; I wanted to drop one in a pickup in the worst way, back in the '90's.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 05-01-2017, 08:50 PM   #27

I liked the GM crate Ram Jet 502. That's what I planned for in my '71 Skylark until I found the 6.0LS van info.

Old 05-02-2017, 11:42 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
I like the Tuned Port pic; I wanted to drop one in a pickup in the worst way, back in the '90's.
Same here with a couple of my GMT400 pickups. Hell i even kicked it around a couple times for the squarebodies. Since the LS engine is so popular lately it may make it easier to find a TPI donor for the Omega.
'80 Honda XL185S
Polaris Magnum 425 4x4

Quote:
Quote:

Old 06-08-2017, 12:42 AM   #29

So this car heads to its new home on Friday. It has been reunited with the family that has owned it since 1980.
'80 Honda XL185S
Polaris Magnum 425 4x4

Quote:
Quote:

Old 06-08-2017, 01:03 PM   #30

Wow! What am I gonna do now? I made popcorn and everything.