Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-2022, 07:24 PM   #1

Lifan Xpect Ecu tuning

So I got my Lifan xpect running. I am now trying to see if the ecu can be tuned. I have the hud ecu hacker and I can read data and record logs but cannot seem to figure out if and how I can make changes to the programming. This is my first time using ecu hacker but I am not entirely new to tuning. (Use hp tuners on our car builds) I am u able to download the file like you can with the Delphi ecu. What am I missing here? Anyone know anything about tuning lifan?

Old 05-08-2022, 07:50 PM   #2

The only thing that I have done on my X-pect is to fit a 100 ohm resistance in series with the IA sensor. The X-pect has never idled well when cold and was prone to stalling but now idles well and you can walk away and leave it idling which I could never do before. I also have ECU hacker and have checked it out on the X-pect but have not gone for a ride and recorded the information yet.

Old 05-08-2022, 08:17 PM   #3

I haven't figured out how to use the hacker program completely and all the tutorials reference using it with a delphi ecu. This lifan can't be downloaded to the hacker program like the delphi but I think I can make patches and possibly use them to alter the tables. Haven't really had time enough to play with it. Just figured I'd see if anyone else had done any tuning on a lifan that could offer some tips

Old 05-13-2022, 07:47 AM   #4

Do you happen to have a pic of how you wired in the resistor?
Seems ecu hacker can read and log data from the lifan but is unable to upload or download files.from its ecu

Old 05-13-2022, 08:57 AM   #5

I did a test on the Lifan ECU that was offered by ECU Hacker although that ECU is from a different model and the X-pect has a Hunier ECU which I am sure has different parrameters than the Lifan one. The IA temp sensor is under the seat and near the air intake, it can be unplugged form its 2 way plug. I bought a box of plugs from amazon and the 2 way male and female plugs work with those on the X-pect so I made up a short piece of twin cable with a male and female plug on each end then cut one of the twin cables and soldered in the 100 ohm resistor you should do the resistor before the plugs and cover the resistor and cable with a short piece of heatshrink fit the plugs and plug this in between the cable and the IA sensor. You may need to adjust the idle air scre for smoothest idle and that is it.

Old 05-13-2022, 08:56 PM   #6

That's how I was envisioning doing this. That cold stalling is annoying. Since I don't think the ecu can be reprogrammed I guess the only way to tune it is to add resistance to sensors to trick the ecu.

Old 12-13-2023, 10:41 PM   #7

Can anyone confirm this is fix for the Lifan X Pect cold weather stalling.

I have a 2023 model and have been fighting the cold stalling issue since I bought it. I live in Maine and it's below freezing all the time now and the bike stalls at least once when warming up. I am a year round biker, I live in the city and do not own a car. It's frustrating because the bike cools down so fast that it makes commuting a pain in the backside.

750 miles on it. Valves adjusted multiple times. Spark plug new and properly gapped. Oil changed every two hundred miles so far.

Valve settings don't seem to make a difference. I have tried the 0.03/0.05 and also 0.06/0.06 and also 0.06/0.08. (Btw I think the bike runs best at 0.04/0.05.)

Old 12-14-2023, 05:29 PM   #8

You might consider adapting a plug-in engine heater to it if nothing else works.

Old 12-16-2023, 09:12 AM   #9

That 100 ohm resitor in series with the temperature sensor certainly helped with my idle without any adverse effects although the air screw needs to be adjusted to get it to run smoothly

Old 04-26-2024, 07:34 PM   #10

What exactly is the purpose of adding in the resistor? What if somebody were to use a 200 or even a 300 ohm resistor?
2023 Lifan X-Pect 200 #141 - HAAARD BREAK IN
Currently running .003 EXH/.0015 INT

Old 04-26-2024, 08:00 PM   #11

The colder it gets the greater the value of resister used to measure the temperature that sends a signal to the ECU. so to increase the resistance by adding 100 ohms tells the ECU that it is colder than it really is. I guess the ECU enriches the mixture for colder temperatures I believe which is where we felt we should be. Wildly increasing or decresing the resistance could make the ECU believe that the thermistor is faulty and shut the system down. You just have to play and see.

Old 04-27-2024, 03:24 PM   #12

Do you know if it only adjusts fuel in open loop or open and closed loop? At what point does it go into closed loop? I haven't seen a temp sensor but may have missed it. I'm just looking for a way to slightly richen in up some across the entire rev range. I've done a little studying and it seems adding any resistance at all to the oxygen sensor will make it leaner. I opened the exhaust up some and it is noticeably quicker in the 55-60 mph area.
2023 Lifan X-Pect 200 #141 - HAAARD BREAK IN
Currently running .003 EXH/.0015 INT

Old 04-27-2024, 07:05 PM   #13

If you remove the seat you will find a connector that has a sort of blind end on two of the conductors, that blind end is the thermistor. I made up a shrt lead with the same type of male and female connector with a 100 ohm resistor in series so that when all are connected the thermistor has the 100 ohms connected. I found that on cold starts the engine idled and ran smoother although I suspect that after a short while the ECU went back to rationing the fuel according to the oxygen sensor. By then the engine was hot and it ran well anyway.