Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Media/Reviews/Classifieds/Sponsors > Video and Pics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-14-2022, 07:54 AM   #1

2022 Templar X 250 build quality and assembly

This bike was available and sold for about 4 months from Powersportsmax and XProUSA earlier this year. At the time of this edit (late June), XPro has them in stock! You can still get the little brother too (not the "X" model), which has no luggage rack, no adjustable suspension, but still has nearly all the rest of the components. Zuumav is the brand, which is shortened to "ZUMA" on the Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin (MCO). It is model X7-CB250F, and the full name of the company is WUYI ZUMA Industry and Trade Co., LTD.

I am going to go through some of the things I did during assembly, and what I found as I put it together. First, the crate was standing on end in the truck when it arrived, and the crate had been damaged. Fortunately, the bike was not damaged.

We took it apart to check nuts and bolts, and to get the carb set up and check out the suspension and frame. The first thing we noticed was the beefy headset and frame construction. An yet this bike weighs only ~260lbs. And that is a 20hp 249cc Zongshen engine.

I cleaned up the casting on the clutch and brake lever mounts so that they can be allowed to twist away (instead of break) when it hits the dirt:

The right controls needed to be completely rearranged. They had the throttle roller down in front below the lever and I had to shave off the nub on the starter button housing (right) and lights/turn signal controls (left) because the holes in the handlebar weren't where I wanted them (no pic). But they hold position with just screw tension (and loctite), no problem.

Nice quality on the controls and levers.

The tail light wiring was exposed, so I installed a wiring sheath to protect them.

The exhaust system turns out to be a good quality stainless steel header and stainless steel sprung slip-on.

The rebound damping adjust on the rear shock has ~14 clicks. I did not do anything on the preload yet, but it is also adjustable.

A quick pic of the engine mounting hardware and swingarm pivot (WHILE the shock was out) revealed nice heavy duty build quality. And there is a spare chain roller mounted to the left stay there (free spare). That is a 520 chain.

The carb can be pulled out on the right side without removing the header. It is tight, but doable. Notice the blue QC marks on the carburetor. I noticed these all over the nuts and bolts on the frame and components on this bike. This is a good manufacturing practice.
Also, look at the thick external frame stays. This is a stiff/tough frame.

The OEM YouALL carb is a smoothbore. I rejet the main from 120 > 125, and pilot from 40 > 45, and shimmed the needle with just one washer (about 1mm).

EDIT 45 pilot was TOO rich. I backed off to #42.

The air filter is a large oiled foam dome. Lots of room for high flow. And the intake underneath it has smooth clean lines for good airflow.

Other build quality clues... Here is a pic of the rear brake cylinder, and the welding work and bear claw foot peg. There are stainless steel Allen bolts instead of Philips screws. The swingarm is cast alloy with welded connectors. It is surprising that this bike isn't heavier.

To give you an idea of the size/scale of the bike, here is is lined up by my GSX1250, the TBR7. This is a full sized enduro.

Last edited by Thumper; 03-04-2024 at 08:53 AM.

Old 06-14-2022, 02:27 PM   #2

Thanks for the awesome write-up and pics. Seems like a very nice bike regarding build quality. Please keep us posted as you discover more.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 06-15-2022, 06:09 PM   #3

More info and observations

In no apparent order...

Instead of an equalizer tube between the two lobes of the gas tank, and one fuel line input to the petcock, each lobe of the tank feeds the petcock separately, and there are 3 positions on the petcock valve. One of them is a "dot", and the other two seem identical (capital R). I haven't run out and switched, so I don't know if this is effectively a reserve.
EDIT: update... yes, gas in the "other" lobe can act as a reserve (doesn't matter which one). Just switch from "R" to "R", and keep riding.

The spark plug wire has a protective sheath around it, but it was laying on the cooling fins of the cylinder! Not cool. But I had saved the massive zip strips that held the bike in the crate (cutting them at the zip side, and pulling out the tail-hate to waste them!). So I repurposed one to hold the Sparkplug wire off the hot cylinder:

I took the chain off to remove a link. Then hung it from the garage ceiling and with paper towel blocking blow through, drenched the chain with Champion chain lube aerosol spray. Then wiped off the excess and reinstalled the chain. It looks like lithium grease and silicone based lube. It coated the sprockets after reinstall too. You can see the ZS172FMM-3A engine model number there too.

BUT, when I removed the front sprocket cover, BOTH bolts were too tight. The upper came out OK, but the lower one brought the threads with it. crap

EDIT: Fixed-A longer bolt found another 5mm of good threads deeper so it is OK. Lucky break.

What else? The swingarm has a proper rear axel slot with a threaded bolt offset. This is actually UNCOMMON in our low budget bikes (which have a square steel swingarm). The thickest part if the swingarm is 3" thick, and the cross member where the rear shock linkage is mounted is adequate (and by adequate, I mean heavy duty). This is strong enough to take way more than anything I will ever do to this bike. There's also a short shifter with folding tip. I like that.

The frame on this motorcycle seems excellent. Welds are good, and the powdercoating is still flawless after nearly two years (edit).
Check out this headset, and the triple trees, and the size of those USD fork "bottoms". This is a stiff front end.

Last edited by Thumper; 03-04-2024 at 09:08 AM.

Old 06-15-2022, 06:39 PM   #4

And more

The front axel is based on the common standard hollow large diameter model (stiffer, not heavier), with a 19mm hex insert on one side, and 21mm bolt head on the other, and it is clamped to the fork bottoms, not tensioned with a bolt.

The front wheel is a DOT approved 21"x1.6 alloy rim. Rear is 18" x 2.15" DOT approved (tires both DOT approved). The spokes are much larger gauge than on the Storm or TBR7. The hubs are large cast alloy, especially the rear, which allows SHORTER heavy spokes for strength. This is a major structural improvement. My wheels are still round and spokes are still tight (nearly two years later).

The exhaust is ported out of the way of the lengthy rear wheel travel

The overall shape and design is 100% enduro

Maybe we will get an importer to bring the water cooled 300cc version soon.

Last edited by Thumper; 03-04-2024 at 09:14 AM.

Old 06-15-2022, 09:38 PM   #5

Rimlocks

Oh, one more thing... Red circles show the rimlocks.

Last edited by Thumper; 03-04-2024 at 09:14 AM.

Old 06-23-2022, 05:44 PM   #6

Zs172fmm-3a

ZS172FMM-3A
This same engine is OEM on the earlier GPX FSE250 builds, and that bike costs over $5000. They've gone to a 6 speed engine now. And it is standard on the Templar X now.

Last edited by Thumper; 03-04-2024 at 09:15 AM.

Old 07-12-2022, 09:36 AM   #7

Great review of this bike! Helps those of us looking to buy but not knowing much about different brands/models.
1969 Honda CT90--The Tomahto
Cheesy is the WDK (workplace drama king). Now retired. Nope, back in the saddle.
Climate: The Movie https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A24fWmNA6lM
How our government really works https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjadCd0VRBw
Question all authority.....think for yourself

Old 07-21-2022, 01:36 AM   #8

I missed out on the X, but really happy with the bike!https://share.icloud.com/photos/0beH...vr6WRjDBhoaF8w

Old 09-12-2022, 08:05 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TominMO View Post
Great review of this bike! Helps those of us looking to buy but not knowing much about different brands/models.
After a few months of ownership, no disappointments at all. I did add a 14T front sprocket, and a 39T rear sprocket. This dropped the revs and made it more civilized at speed, BUT lost the off road capabiity. You really need low gearing for off road... This bike starts easy and runs great. It is a perfect runabout to run errands, and you can take the construction site diversion or real wilderness trail if you want to

Here are a few comments:
First, this is an enduro, and you are buying better off-road performance than a dual sport. The frame is stiff and fairly light, you can adjust the preload/rebound/compression (rear) and compression/rebound on the front shocks. The adjustable shocks deliver good control on these knobbies.
Second, the engine is smooth and easy, delivering tractable torque from down low on up for off-road adventures, and the suspension/frame/wheels hold up to more abuse than anyone but a professional racer might expect, for about $2000 !!!
Third, Anyone that wants a really capable road bike should look into a 400cc or above engine. I have ridden big bore 4 cylinder bikes for my entire life, and NONE of these dual purpose 250s are really good road bikes. But it will get you to the dirt.

But for me, the Templar X works. Personally, I don't think that any 4 stroke 250 dirt bike is "comfortable" on the road for more than an hour or two!

If you are on two lane side roads and don't have to face Interstate traffic, then a 250cc bike might work for you. I guess it depends on your preferences. The only question after that is do you want knobbies and be able to survive on anything worse than hard pack with a little loose gravel or sand, or dual purpose tires. You can do some single track with dual sport tires, but it is a little dangerous (washing out, slipping).

Last edited by Thumper; 03-04-2024 at 09:23 AM.

Old 09-13-2022, 08:22 AM   #10

That's a great assessment and observation of the bike and its limitations. Yes, any of these dual sport 250's are woefully inadequate at speed.. even with a brief stint of ownership of a CSC RX4 with the 450cc engine i found it to be inadequate on the highway.. up an incline on rt 64 where the speed limit is 70mph would have me full-throttled with barely any left to overtake. I think the best mix is one of these 250's (ideally 6-speed variant) for gravel roads, trails and around town or back-roads and then a street machine for touring. I'm in the market for that and it needs to be able to handle 2-up.. i had a look at the SG400 and kpm 200 but sadly despite the price being right would not be well suited for that.
Anyway, im loving the Templar X and these 250's have been great to me thus far after a few years of owning a Brozz and then a Titan with little to no issues other than things coming loose from all the vibrations, par for the course i guess

Former China Bikes: Tao DBX1, Brozz 250, CSC RX4, Titan DLX, Templar X

Old 11-26-2022, 01:53 PM   #11

exploration choices

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
Third, Anyone that wants a really capable road bike should look into a 400cc or above engine. I have ridden big bore 4 cylinder bikes for my entire life, and NONE of these dual purpose 250s are really good road bikes. Sure, you can get from here to there dependably, but these days, highways are populated with big quadcab trucks, massive SUVs, all driving like a bat out of hell! It is not a pleasant experience unless you have the power to dominate when you need (600cc plus!!!)

... don't let anyone tell you that any 4 stroke 250 dual purpose is "comfortable" on the road for more than an hour or two!

If you are on two lane side roads and don't have to face Interstate traffic, then a 250cc bike might work for you. The only question after that is do you want knobbies and be able to survive on anything worse than hard pack with a little loose gravel or sand, or dual purpose tires, and stay away from the real fun off-road (beyond the dirt road on the trails). Don't expect a dual purpose bike to take you there! If you want a smoother ride, and willing to forego that off-road stuff, well, you know what to buy
Thanks - for taking the time to summarize that; it's really useful (cycle market) confirmation of what I've been suspecting, as a newcomer (at 71!), simply looking to explore ...

Just learning, I've been dismayed at the INflexibility of cycles and, especially, cycle tires; SO surface-specific ... hardly conducive to exploring.

The line between dual-sport vs. light Adventure bikes poses the decisions you mentioned in your last two sentences. Though unpaved backroad exploring might be the goal, reality is that some two-lane pavement is, often, a prerequisite.

Old 11-26-2022, 08:06 PM   #12

Dual sprot tires are essentially road tires that provide some traction off road.

Knobbies aren't that great at cornering, but if you drive sensibly, they hold on pavement adequately. After all, you aren't running a road race with a 250cc engine anyway.

The key is to keep out of the way, and get there safe. You will be rewarded when you reach the trail. I have trailered the Templar to trails. Anything farther than 50 miles away, worth it. You don't have to tear up the trails like a MX racer, but you want the TRACTION and capability of a real enduro when you get there. Knobbies.

Last edited by Thumper; 03-04-2024 at 09:25 AM.

Old 11-27-2022, 12:56 PM   #13

how much suspension travel is REALLY needed?

This video astonished me!

The video suggests that the rider is just a trail buddy i.e. not some pro, hired by the factory for an ad. Granted, this guy (black jacket) can REALLY ride; but, nevertheless, it got me thinking about what bikes can really do, when standing on the pegs, letting the bike 'float' under you. Suspension travel (5.1"/5.8") and ground clearance (7.1") specs suggest that a Versys X-300 has no business doing/attempting this! ??? What this guy is doing without suspension travel, measured in yards/meters, is astounding!

Why look at the Versys X-300? ... because sometimes lengthy highway riding is required to get to scenic backroads. I haven't seen/read of many willing to do that on an enduro bike with lights and a plate on it.

Maybe I can find some ~50/50 (or so) tire that can bite enough into loose surface and still be ridden (gingerly) on pavement without squirming out from under the bike in corners? Putting along at 60 mph on a highway is fine by me; at 71 I don't care if the whole world is passing me! I'm thinking, 'The slower you go, the more you see (other than the road/path)!' I suffer from wanderlust - not ego!

If I were content to trailer a bike, why not just ride the Jeep, leaving the bike at home? ... a LOT more comfortable than riding in a 'space suit' (for protection) in heat/cold.

Old 11-28-2022, 10:48 PM   #14

Templar X Received...Working through some Bugs

I too appreciate these posts! I just got my Templar X in from Powersportsmax, it's all assembled, only one issue my buddy that helped assemble it and I have been trying to get worked out.

The carb seems to be running the bike too rich according to my more mechanically-inclined friend. It's naturally a little cold-natured, but as the bike warms up, it still doesn't want to idle, and it will get so hot that the exhaust will glow red hot at the cat-to-manifold side if you let it. We can't find any way to set/adjust the carb on this model other than an idle-set adjustment screw. I called Powersportsmax today and told them of our findings...their solution? Sending me another stock carb

Old 11-28-2022, 11:20 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrmaster88 View Post
I too appreciate these posts! I just got my Templar X in from Powersportsmax, it's all assembled, only one issue my buddy that helped assemble it and I have been trying to get worked out.

The carb seems to be running the bike too rich according to my more mechanically-inclined friend. It's naturally a little cold-natured, but as the bike warms up, it still doesn't want to idle, and it will get so hot that the exhaust will glow red hot at the cat-to-manifold side if you let it. We can't find any way to set/adjust the carb on this model other than an idle-set adjustment screw. I called Powersportsmax today and told them of our findings...their solution? Sending me another stock carb
Go look at Thumpers thread on the Templar X here. He goes into detail about how to get into the stock carburetor and tune it. The factory carbs have inserts covering the adjustment screws. You just have to remove them. They are really good carbs. Yours just needs rejetting.