Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Media/Reviews/Classifieds/Sponsors > Video and Pics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2023, 12:19 PM   #16

I'm happy to have helped, and I was able to secure the light correctly if that gives you hope! Super glue for the metal ring that came with the light because the light kept popping off the ring, then I was able to bend one of the motorcycle headlight clips I bought in a way that would hold the ring in place with light attached (my original clip was previously bent to hell when fitting one of those LED bulbs with the bulky fan in back).

Here is the low and high beam, with correct bulb orientation:

The plastic rings I bought were too small in diameter, so I used nothing but what came with the bulb and then the retaining metal clip which you can likely use the one that originally came on the headlight.

I'd say a clean light output. I have the beam adjusted I believe to almost its lowest but may need to aim it up now; I'll see when i go out into the desert after dark.

Old 11-01-2023, 11:30 PM   #17

Well... alright, I learned some things this evening.

First, about the headlight bulb. I don't have much to compare to, but at least compared to just having a more car-centric LED in there where the light scatters all over the place, the beam pattern is in fact somewhat defined and focused by comparison. But the light is not quite as bright or focused as I'd ideally have; I think it's still limited by that stock housing as there is a lot of light bleed around it. I think the low beam, at least, is enough to be safe and has a clean upper edge that can be aimed right where you want it.

When the high beam activates, you are almost no better off than if you had just shut off the headlight entirely. I do not say this as an exaggeration. Over the long stretch of completely dark, 2-lane road, I was able to detect a hint of a beam somewhere out there... but it was so far up, I'm surprised a UFO did not flash some high beams right back at me. I only could detect a glimmer of the high beam due to a moment of it catching trees in the distance.

The amount you would need to aim your headlight down to compensate, I believe your regular beam would be on the ground at all times. I do wonder if, though it would reverse the hi and lo beams, maybe this type of headlight truly would work better upside down in our Templar headlight assemblies. I'll stick to pondering on that one rather than messing with it further.

Ramblings of an unrelated nature
Let me tell ya that even if you hear gasoline sloshing, and even if your trip meter is only showing 84 miles, if your motor-sicle seems to need a bunch of choke for no reason, starts having electrical issues like the headlight going on and off along with turning on its own high beam, ride your ass to a gas station because the Templar X has NO USABLE RESERVE when you switch that petcock over to it, and no matter how unlikely it seems, YOU ARE OUT OF FUEL!

I may have accidentally cleared the ol' trip meter at some point, and I guess the sloshing may have been more of a light splashing? What I do know is all issues vanished once I walked the motorcycle to the gas station and filled it up. Then I finally went riding around to test the stupid headlight before riding back to the house. Wasn't gonna abort this mission just because I fell for the old, "It ain't got no gas in it," trick.

Old 01-06-2024, 08:56 PM   #18

I had a couple fantastic rides today. First was on the Templar where I am now on a sprocket and chain combination that feels like a Goldilocks setup for my street cruising and desert thumping needs: 14 tooth front, 42 tooth rear, x-ring chain. Previous setup was 13t front, 42t rear, with an o-ring chain.

It was a very cool day but warming up was quick once I got to the fun stuff. I pondered how fortunate I am to be out riding comfortably during winter.

Having a short break at home before switching back to the trusty TT'250' which is still on an o-ring chain, it was jarring to feel the decrease in power output. Can't remember the sprocket sizes but it is geared taller than stock with a common, middle-ground sprocket combo. Topping out at 5th gear on the street and a bonus of some open-throttle bogging from the carb did leave you wanting more. By the time I got into the off road stuff again, though, the motorcycle was well warmed up in its happy habitat, and I started having just as great of a time as I did back before the Templar stole the show.

The suspension really just can't compare, of course, and my stock not-so-knobbies are ready for replacement, but the TT250 still has its benefits. Super quiet by comparison, which can be refreshing when you're looking for a more relaxed or stealthy ride, something not so XTREME! Though they look very similar in dimensions while parked, sitting on the TT250 does feel substantially lower & more maneuverable. I don't even prefer the Seat Concepts seat anymore because it feels too low for me.

In contrast to the Templar, it's a scooter with dirtbike dreams. That kick-starter, though, will always be a great buddy to keep around.

Old 02-17-2024, 03:09 AM   #19

I think I saw a unicycle in your garage in the uncrating pics. Cool
I just sold mine. Knees aren't as good as they used to be.

Last edited by Thumper; 02-17-2024 at 11:44 PM.

Tags
dualsport, quality, templar, xpro, zongshen