Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-09-2012, 07:29 PM   #1

xp 200 oil filter cover

I have been changing my oil my self but had the dealer do it once they also changed the filter. this time i wanted to change it and for some reason thought the filter was at the bottom and just found a screen after trying to put the screen back in for 20 min i remember reading that some bike have both. the question is how to get the cover off without prying and putting gouges in the block or cover it just wont budge

Old 03-09-2012, 09:50 PM   #2

I had the same problem with my buddies xp200. The one on my bike came off easy though.

First, make sure that the bottom drain plug and the fill cap are both off and drained. Then on his I used a thin razor blade to pry it open all the way around very gently. There is a gasket in there so try not to gouge it or u will have to replace it or RTV it (dont know if u can even RTV it).

If you dont feel comfortable doing that you can try a small flat head screw driver and a rubber mallet. Just try to get it in there enough to start prying it open slowly again being mindful of the gasket.

And....if you dont feel comfortable doing either of those go get some of the non slip rubber matting material they use for truck beds and such. Then place it over the cover and gently rock it back and forth, front to back, side to side.

Another idea would be to use an actual oil filter wrench, plastic one, to wiggle the cover free.

Just some ideas.

If the dealer actually changed the filter off then it should actually come off rather easily to be honest, unless they torqued the shit outta the bolts. Or pryed it open and ruined the gasket and RTV'ed the hell out of it lol.

Old 03-09-2012, 11:23 PM   #3

Here's what you (we) have:

You can see the main oil filter, #15 (HF131 for the hi-flo and K & N) and it's cover, #20. This is located on the right side of the motor as you are sitting on it. The nuts (3 of them, #9) come off and the cover is removed to replace the filter. The bottom sreeen is accessed by removing the three #12 bolts. It should just come off easily. If not, grap the oil drain bolt (#12) with a pair of pliers and remove the cover. There is a rubber gasket (#11) so make sure that it comes with it. It fits in a groove in the cover. I have only checked the lower screen once. This was during break in to check to see if there was anything there. It was spotless. I don't worry about it anymore and only change the paper filter.

Old 03-10-2012, 12:03 PM   #4

Think he already knows where everything is, he was just asking how to get it off since it can be a pita if its on there good or air locked or something.

Old 03-10-2012, 02:03 PM   #5

Somewhat related question....last time I changed the oil on my XP200 the gasket for the filter cover looked like it was cracking. Does anyone know of a japanese part that would fit, or am I stuck ordering the gasket from Qlink?

edit* I am referring to part #18 in the diagram above.

Old 03-10-2012, 02:10 PM   #6

If the gasket is an O ring whih I think it is just bring it to your local hardware store and match it up.

I have a large collection of O rings in stock that I bought cheaply at HF some time ago.

Old 03-10-2012, 02:18 PM   #7

Its not an o-ring, its the gasket that seals the oil filter cover to the engine (has 3 holes for the bolts to go through). If that makes sense, mine isn't leaking but I figure I need to replace it before it starts to.

Old 03-10-2012, 02:33 PM   #8

Odd. All I remember was an O ring and that's all I see on the above diagram. Parts 19 and 11.... :?:

Old 03-10-2012, 03:36 PM   #9

I must not be describing it right, I'm not the most mechanically inclined. I'll snap pics next time I am working on the bike.

Old 03-11-2012, 09:02 AM   #10

Its number 18 on the diagram, gasket.

Old 03-11-2012, 12:19 PM   #11

Phoenixrider, if #18 is the gasket as Volitan says, it would be easy to replicate. Buy some bulk gasket material at the local auto parts store and use the three-bolt cover as a template. Draw out the shape on the gasket material and carefully cut it out with an Exacto knife.

Once you have the gasket cut to the desired shape, coat both sides with a thin film of grease. This will prevent the gasket from sticking, and it will aid in keeping the oil on the inside.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 03-11-2012, 01:02 PM   #12

thank you!

Old 03-11-2012, 04:12 PM   #13

Even though it shows it, my Qlink did not come with the gasket. Just the O ring like Doc's old bike. I've often wondered about it as I have seen pictures on MCM that show the gasket on Qingqi bikes. It's on the bike in the Portagese repair manual available from MCM but not in the english version provided by Andrew. I haven't had any leaks, though. Maybe it's leaking because the gasket it there. I don't see the need as the O ring seals against the milled right side of the engine cover. I put a layer of motor oil on it during an oil change just like I do to an automotive oil filter's sealing ring.

Old 03-11-2012, 04:42 PM   #14

My Konker was the same, just an o-ring sealing the cover... And if I recall it was a bit of a PITA to break loose because it's a tight fit. I think I tapped the edges a bit with the handle of a screwdriver lightly just to break it loose and then got my fingernails in behind it and gingerly wiggled/rocked it off. My KLR uses the same type of cover and it's a pain to get off as well. I don't pry it with anything metal because I don't want to gouge up the cover or the case.

Old 03-12-2012, 08:14 AM   #15

Just re-read the above post. Phoenixrider said his was not leaking. Also, the O ring in in the cover. The O ring and gasket (if needed) should be the same size as either the Suzuki DR200 or DR125. Remove them and take them to a dealer. I think it was Weldandgrind that said he has better luck with snarky dealers if you tell them it's for a project bike.

Edit: I just checked part numbers on Bikebandit and the O ring is the same for both the DR200 and DR125. Neither diagram lists the gasket.