Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-2013, 01:58 PM   #1

Doh! Qlink XP200 Carb / Pilot Jet

Hey all, been a while!

I have an XP200 which had been sitting for a few months after my wreck (bike was mostly OK, needed new handlebars; my shoulder needed 6 months to recoup though).

Needless to say, the carb got all gummed up and when I disassembled it, it was full of algae (I think that's what it is, since gas is plant matter technically).

Anyways I got all the green stuff out and pulled the main jet and soaked everything real good, and re-assembled and sure enough, it wouldn't start still. This time it would start with higher throttle (even like 1/4) but not at idle or w/out the throttle. High idle wasn't even enough to get it started unless I got it super warmed up first.

I finally stripped the carb again and the only thing I could never get out before was the idle pilot jet (the smaller one up under the inside the bowl area) so I surmised it must be at fault. I could never get it out because it was so snug and upon further inspection it looked like I had stripped the head on it.. great...

So, I finally came across some posts here just recently about ideas to get the stuck pilot screw out. I got an ez-out the right size and in like 30 seconds this stupid thing came out - after all this time, all I needed was the right tool!!

So first off, thanks to those who posted threads about stripped pilot screws!!

The pilot screw came right out and sure enough it is 100% clogged. So badly clogged that I can't even seem to clean it after soaking it in acetone, carb cleaner, and trying to pick it out with various tools (from both ends now that it's out).

No bother, it is stripped still, and that can't be fixed, so I'm buying a new one now.. I looked closely with a magnifying glass and on the side it shows some weird symbol and then "32.5". So I search around on eBay and found a Mikuni compatible "28 / 32.5" pilot jet and in theory we have a BS28 carb so this must be the right one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/171069473295...84.m1439.l2649

It also looks exactly like the one I have (e.g. no side holes, very small taper, all same size) so I bought it ($6 shipped, will be here Thursday). Does this sound like the right one?

In the mean time, I also had pulled out the pilot air adjustment screw (on top of the carb, exposed) and now after reading the service manual and some threads on here, everyone says not to touch this as its preset at the factory.. doh.. So how do I go about resetting it to the right spec? Do I just tightly it till its snug and then back it out 2 full turns?

I guess I am just paranoid now because I've had so many issues getting this bike started (which I now realize was due to the pilot jet) and I'm worried if this isn't perfect the bike will not start, but now after watching some videos about tuning the air pilot screw, it sounds like it has a lot of wiggle room and the spec is only the "perfect" setting, but it should run fine even if it's remotely close.. but still, I'd love to know what this was set at the factory, just at least to get the right baseline... Any ideas?? Can anyone who has this same bike post what theirs is set to?

Thanks again, for all the support and help on here!! This is an amazing forum and there's a ton of useful information here, I just had to find it!

Last edited by IPvFletch; 08-18-2013 at 07:25 PM.

Old 08-21-2013, 05:09 PM   #2

Fletch, the jet on the Ebay link is not correct. It should look like the one here;

http://jetsrus.com/a_jets_by_carbure..._BS_series.htm

Notice that the thread on the Ebay link goes all the way to the head and goes quite aways along the jet body.

I have one from the '09 XF200 I sold. PM me your address and I will mail it to you.

"Do I just tighten it till its snug and then back it out 2 full turns?" Yep, that's pretty much the standard starting point.
2016 Tao Tao 125D

Last edited by david3921; 08-21-2013 at 07:17 PM.

Old 08-21-2013, 08:40 PM   #3

Hey David, funny you say that. I just received the pilot jet today and instantly knew it was the wrong size. It "looked" close when I ordered it, but now I can see it is not 100% right and way smaller than the one I need. No big deal, it was only $6 shipped.

FWIW, I also soaked my original (stripped head) pilot jet in acetone for a few days now, and it still won't clear up, and I can't get anything through it. So even if I were to put it back in (stripped) [somehow], it still wouldn't fix anything.

Anyways, I did more research and discovered the one I need is the N151.067 size 32.5. I got confused because the one I first saw said 28/1001-32.5 and we have a Mikuni BS-28, so I figured that was it and jumped the gun.. it looked like the right one, but now I see the N151.067-32.5 is an even closer (read: exact) match and the right size too (14mm). *sigh* So I went ahead and ordered this other size just a few hours ago.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's only $10 (for a 4 pack LOL!!) but I won't get them until Tuesday and now I feel like this pilot jet is just messing with me!! Funny thing is the place I ordered this 4-pack from is located in my town, but they don't have a store front per se (Internet only company). I called and they said it's likely they don't have it in stock here in town and it instead is in their warehouse/fulfillment center in Dallas so maybe it will come sooner but I doubt it..

Maybe I'll PM you my address anyways, just in case these also don't end up being right or the hole is too big or something. Then at least I'll have one known good/working/right sized pilot jet I can use.

BTW, I saw some folks are using a 35 or 37mm pilot jet now (instead of 32.5) - does that mean the low idle is just a tad higher or something? Any advantage to this (assuming the rest of the engine/carb/exhaust is all stock)?? Not that I want to complicate things, but you never know, someday I might want to or need to change things around, I'm just trying to understand what the (pilot) jet sizes mean in terms of performance, exactly..

Thanks!!

Old 08-22-2013, 12:49 AM   #4

I've heard that boiling a jet will clear it, but I haven't tried it.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 08-22-2013, 07:26 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
I've heard that boiling...
My version heard is boils with lemon juice.

Old 08-22-2013, 07:54 AM   #6

That is an amazing idea.. I just Googled that and found other folks saying the same thing on bike forums and even on like gun forums to clean spent shell casings.. I will give it a shot (with lemon juice and baking soda).. Thanks for the tip!

(Not that I will put the stripped jet back in at this point, but just to see if I can adequately clean it for my own edification..)

Old 08-22-2013, 07:02 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by IPvFletch View Post
Hey David, funny you say that. I just received the pilot jet today and instantly knew it was the wrong size. It "looked" close when I ordered it, but now I can see it is not 100% right and way smaller than the one I need. No big deal, it was only $6 shipped.

FWIW, I also soaked my original (stripped head) pilot jet in acetone for a few days now, and it still won't clear up, and I can't get anything through it. So even if I were to put it back in (stripped) [somehow], it still wouldn't fix anything.

Anyways, I did more research and discovered the one I need is the N151.067 size 32.5. I got confused because the one I first saw said 28/1001-32.5 and we have a Mikuni BS-28, so I figured that was it and jumped the gun.. it looked like the right one, but now I see the N151.067-32.5 is an even closer (read: exact) match and the right size too (14mm). *sigh* So I went ahead and ordered this other size just a few hours ago.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's only $10 (for a 4 pack LOL!!) but I won't get them until Tuesday and now I feel like this pilot jet is just messing with me!! Funny thing is the place I ordered this 4-pack from is located in my town, but they don't have a store front per se (Internet only company). I called and they said it's likely they don't have it in stock here in town and it instead is in their warehouse/fulfillment center in Dallas so maybe it will come sooner but I doubt it..

Maybe I'll PM you my address anyways, just in case these also don't end up being right or the hole is too big or something. Then at least I'll have one known good/working/right sized pilot jet I can use.

BTW, I saw some folks are using a 35 or 37mm pilot jet now (instead of 32.5) - does that mean the low idle is just a tad higher or something? Any advantage to this (assuming the rest of the engine/carb/exhaust is all stock)?? Not that I want to complicate things, but you never know, someday I might want to or need to change things around, I'm just trying to understand what the (pilot) jet sizes mean in terms of performance, exactly..

Thanks!!
I got your PM and will send you the jet. The ones you ordered are not genuine Mikuni jets but should work. Some of the Yamaha XJ series bikes used the BS28 and that's why they are sold in packs of 4. As for jetting the carb, the general opinion is that you have to go higher (bigger) in jet sizes if you change your pipe to a more free flowing type. I found that it wasn't true with my XF200. Forchetto found this to be true when he changed his pipe on his Qingqi (same bike as the Qlinks) also. The new pipe usually makes the bike run leaner so larger jets are needed. BUT, this has to be verified by checking the color of the plug. As I said, I found out it wasn't needed for my bike. I did it anyway to see if there was a performance gain. I guess there was some but not enough to justify buying the jets and changing them out. If there is a change in the idle after a pipe change on these bikes, it can be adjusted by turning in or out the throttle screw on the right side of the carb.

Weld or others can fill you in on what the pilot jet does but, basicly, it controls your idle and low speed up until the main jet "kicks in".

Also, I guess Lysol is one of the latest carb cleaners.
2016 Tao Tao 125D

Old 08-22-2013, 09:01 PM   #8

Yeah, I figured so much. I think they are EBC brands (brake pads?? LOL!! They make good brake pads so...)

Yeah I've (unfortunately, or actually fortunately, and gracefully) learned a LOT about carbs whilst troubleshooting this, including how the 1/8 and 1/4 to 1/2 to 3/4 and full throttles can change which jets are used. I'm not certain of which fades out where, and I think there is actually some overlap too, but it doesn't matter that much once they're all cleaned out, although it is really interesting to know.

When you say "color of the plug" do you mean the spark plug or something else?

Thanks again David, I'll be on the lookout for the pkg, and also thanks to human and Weld for chiming in too!! I still have yet to boil my old jet, but plan to oon - just for the hell of it and to see if I can actually clean it (well) that way.

Old 08-23-2013, 03:57 PM   #9

Quote:
Yeah, I figured so much. I think they are EBC brands (brake pads?? LOL!! They make good brake pads so...)

Yeah I've (unfortunately, or actually fortunately, and gracefully) learned a LOT about carbs whilst troubleshooting this, including how the 1/8 and 1/4 to 1/2 to 3/4 and full throttles can change which jets are used. I'm not certain of which fades out where, and I think there is actually some overlap too, but it doesn't matter that much once they're all cleaned out, although it is really interesting to know.

When you say "color of the plug" do you mean the spark plug or something else?

Thanks again David, I'll be on the lookout for the pkg, and also thanks to human and Weld for chiming in too!! I still have yet to boil my old jet, but plan to oon - just for the hell of it and to see if I can actually clean it (well) that way.
Yep, the spark plug. Do a search for a photo of plug colors and what they mean, i.e. rich, lean. ect. There is a procedure also on how to run the bike before pulling the plug. Usually, you do this after changing something like the pipe to see if you have to change the jets. Altitude changes (like Weld's summer adventure with son, B in L, Spud and Doc) require jet changes also.
2016 Tao Tao 125D

Old 08-25-2013, 12:33 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by david3921 View Post
Yep, the spark plug. Do a search for a photo of plug colors and what they mean, i.e. rich, lean. ect. There is a procedure also on how to run the bike before pulling the plug. Usually, you do this after changing something like the pipe to see if you have to change the jets. Altitude changes (like Weld's summer adventure with son, B in L, Spud and Doc) require jet changes also.
That said, I never did a plug chop or even remove the plug to examine it. I should have, but it ran great near 5000 feet above sea level. When I get a few moments, I intend to inspect the plug and do a few plug chops.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 08-25-2013, 09:08 PM   #11

Send a message via Skype™ to Tvnacman
I use a welding tip cleaner to push the holes of the jet to clean it . Sometimes I will use a spring from a pen and scrape the holes of the jet . I can never seem to get the carbs to work good after they get clogged . I wonder what everyone else does to clear the passages in the body of the carb . I have not been able to figure that one out yet . Time verse cost I replace the carb .

John

Old 08-26-2013, 01:04 AM   #12

A welding tip cleaner isn't small enough to manage the slow jet, but a single wire from a wire brush often is. I use that in addition to aerosol carb cleaner and compressed air. Works for me.

Old 08-28-2013, 11:08 AM   #13

New pilot jet in and it fired right the F up. I couldn't believe it! Thanks again to David to helping me through this horrid time.

I love my carb now that I have gotten to know it. I'm really happy now. I rode it all morning around the neighborhood, it is a lot of fun again!!

Old 08-28-2013, 01:19 PM   #14

Quote:
New pilot jet in and it fired right the F up. I couldn't believe it! Thanks again to David to helping me through this horrid time.

I love my carb now that I have gotten to know it. I'm really happy now. I rode it all morning around the neighborhood, it is a lot of fun again!!
Did you use the one I sent you or the new ones you ordered? If it's the new ones, and you have three left, others may benefit from them. You are welcome for any help I gave you.
2016 Tao Tao 125D

Old 08-30-2013, 09:18 AM   #15

Yes, thanks, now I can pay it forward if anyone needs one.. but I'm keeping 2 just in case I need them later on (likely, given this ordeal!).