Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-27-2023, 10:31 AM   #1

TBR7 Petcock/fuel tank

Hey, so I'm a little confused I have been riding for 2weeks on the first full tank to gauge the milage. It sputtered and died on me with a quarter tank left. Messing with the fuel lines and petcock I noticed that a drop or two of gas would flow when switching from off to on, but it would free flow switching to reserve. My question now is, is my fuel gauge reading a quarter tank but I've passed the point of the main on fuel line? And should I just start treating a quarter on the gauge as empty? Or is there a bigger problem?

Old 03-27-2023, 10:50 AM   #2

If you have the original petcock, it has two ports inside the tank that it takes fuel from. In run position, it takes fuel from the top of the nylon stalk, but there is fuel below that level... When the fuel drops below that level, you can switch to reserve, which takes fuel from the bottom. Here is a picture (click on the thumbnail to see it full screen).

Click image for larger version

Name:	TBR7petcock.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	21.3 KB
ID:	28900

If your fuel gauge is reading a 1/4 tank when this happens, that's OK. Technically, you are "empty" when you use up the reserve!

Each gauge can be a little different. Just get used to how yours behaves. You can carry a pint of fuel with you around town and see how many additional miles you have on reserve, as long as you are "one pint" away from a gas station. At over 60mpg, that is probably ~10 miles.

Last edited by Thumper; 03-27-2023 at 07:23 PM.

Old 03-27-2023, 11:07 AM   #3

Thank you for the reply. That does look like mine in the picture. I'll keep that in mind. This is the first bike I've driven with a fuel gauge so I didn't think two thoughts about reading the reserve as well.

Old 03-27-2023, 05:02 PM   #4

For what it's worth, I only ever use the reserve position on any bike that has a working fuel gauge. The reserve feature used to be handy in the days of bikes that didn't have gauges as a way to know "hey, time to get fuel." With a working visual reference it shouldn't even be needed... unless you have ADHD issues and can't pay attention to the fuel gauge.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 03-27-2023, 07:26 PM   #5

I was wondering about that as well if it really needs to be in the ON versus the reserve.