Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-01-2010, 05:46 PM   #31

If on the Motard version they replaced all the red with black it would look real good. I do not like the red frame or rims and the decals are too much. That Motard with a black frame and engine and rims and the white fairing would look good.

I like to see better gauges and a cross bar on the handle bar as well.

Bet you can get what you want from the factory and with a OHC engine….bet that Benny at TMEC is hard up for business these days.

bet that these bikes are cheap as shit at Long Beach Port, seriously probably about a grand or less. The container ships are not full so its an all around buyers market.

When is the next shipment to the states? Where is my closest dealer?

Are there gauge upgrades for the GY-5 bikes and what about performance CDI’s….its a Lifan without the 5 and colors other than red and blue.

Can you get an OHC version with at least 6 months on the engine? How about a dirt version in white and a black engine and frame and the alloy rims, snazzy.

Old 03-01-2010, 06:16 PM   #32

That bike on the TMEC website has a 225cc engine and more than likely a OHV engine.
11.5Kw/6500
17.5Nm/5500
67mmx65mm
229.26cc

no price though and no specs but a 1-800 number.....http://www.lifanenginepartswholesale.com/

Old 03-01-2010, 06:33 PM   #33

Sounds like the '250' OHV Lifanoid which is in reality a 230 or so.

Old 03-01-2010, 11:42 PM   #34

But the image they are using on the TMEC site is for an OHC engine…
Displacement(ml): 232.6
Max power: 12.8kw/7500r/min
Start: Electric
Net weight: 34kgs
Modality: singlecylinder,4-stroke,air-cooled
Max torqne: 18.0N.m/6000r/min
Compression ratio: 9.0;1
Bore x stroke: 69mm*62.2mm

then they have an over head valve 250... 229cc
Bore x stroke: 67mm*65mm
Max power: 11.5kw/6500r/min
Max torqne: 17.5N.m/5500r/min

They have both OHC and OHV 200 and 250 engines.

Old 03-02-2010, 07:41 AM   #35

With the poor specs we have seen in the past I would trust them. The engine in the actual bike pics shows the OHV one.

It may be that both are available depending on what lot came across in the container.

Old 03-02-2010, 11:13 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by katoranger
With the poor specs we have seen in the past I would trust them. The engine in the actual bike pics shows the OHV one.

It may be that both are available depending on what lot came across in the container.
We have seen a lot of poor and inaccurate specs and pictures, from many importers.

Old 03-02-2010, 11:26 AM   #37

I would say that TMEC may be the manufacturer behind many of the budget GY bikes…it may be why they decided to attend the Dealer Expo? They sold a bunch of low cost GY bikes to dealer/distributers in the USA?

There web site has all the GY bikes…the one you see everywhere.
http://www.tmec.net.cn/index.htm

If the serial number begins with L6M its a TMEC

They also may be buying or copying the Lifan engine line? I do not think Lifan would care since they them selves copied Honda engines and they may be selling those engines cheap to manufacturers like TMEC.

Lifan unveiled a GY-7 at the Expo a water cooled 250 but with only 17hp? Which makes me wonder did they only water cool the existing OHC engine? Adding plumbing and not adding power is adding weight and nothing else…well maybe durability?

I really do not know?

I wonder is there anyone with a GY bike on this site that has a serial number that starts with L6M?

They sell engines and then you have all these pop up engine and part suppliers on the net. All those OHV GY bikes are easy to get parts for?

Old 03-02-2010, 03:07 PM   #38

They also may be buying or copying the Lifan engine line? I do not think Lifan would care since they them selves copied Honda engines and they may be selling those engines cheap to manufacturers like TMEC

This could be the case, but like Hi-Bird a few years ago (their old 200cc bike was a dead ringer for the GY-2 model from Lifan) it turns out that Lifan uses contract manufacturers (this was from Hi-Bird's Chinese site) to make bikes for them, but it seems that these contractors manufacture their own branded bikes, too. However, they probably get their engines from Lifan.

Old 03-03-2010, 11:19 AM   #39

Its like a ten speed bicycles, you have lots of department store bikes. Then you have bikes like TREK, GT or Giant.

If you just want a GY then there are lots of them and all of them are basically the same.

But if they want to make them better then it is about adding the 250cc OHC and backing it with a warranty. Then it is just a better version of the others and cost a little bit more. There is more stress on the OHC and it needs to be backed, the quality assured.

They should consider warranties with a deductible, to keep people from beating them to death just because it has a warranty, or faking claims to get parts and labor. False warranty claims are a problem in all industries that cover the labor. Dealers if not policed can fake up a warranty claim. That’s why they make them sometimes return the part. They really should not be doing that, they should be tracking each unit by a VIN number and if it is a lemon it raises lots of flags including the potential of a bad mechanic and or an abusive owner.

They are or seem to be always in sales mode….it’s more about operations then sales. From inception to consumption its a value chain. In quantitative measures it is called a function, as in a total cost function and could be detailed from cradle to grave as in the cost of ownership….you buy it you own it.

Really well made and last a long time with little trouble, what’s the formula for success?

Selling the products of others fractures the value chain. It adds a unnecessary layer, it actually can drive costs higher and certainly lowers accountability.

Old 03-03-2010, 12:16 PM   #40

You talk about engine warranty, but how many actually have trouble with the engine. I dread the day I have to replace an engine under a Chinabike warranty.

Old 03-03-2010, 12:28 PM   #41

Actually very few members have had a true engine failure here. They seem to have got that part right. Its the rest of the bike that needs coverage.

Seems to be more transmission problems than engine problems.

When I bought my bike that warranty really wasn't a selling point. It was the low initial cost. I was able to repair most of parts that broke at home or replace with japanese parts for cheap.

Good analogy with the mtn bikes. I like that.

Old 03-03-2010, 12:59 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by katoranger
Actually very few members have had a true engine failure here. They seem to have got that part right. Its the rest of the bike that needs coverage.

Seems to be more transmission problems than engine problems.

When I bought my bike that warranty really wasn't a selling point. It was the low initial cost. I was able to repair most of parts that broke at home or replace with japanese parts for cheap.

Good analogy with the mtn bikes. I like that.
I bought my Zong for $950, without a warranty. Fortunately, the Zong is very well made, and I have not needed any warranty coverage. In general, I think a chinabike warranty is essentially worthless. :( We have heard too many horror stories concerning dealers, and manufacturers, who will not honor their warranties. :evil:

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 03-03-2010, 02:53 PM   #43

I paid $1200 for my lifan. Warranty was not a concern. It actually served its purpose well. If I had to due it over again I would price shop and not warranty shop. More important to me is the service from the seller.

It is obvious that the zong and q are a better quality machine. The zong is being sold cheap now due to the dated designed and maybe some overstock. Good for buyers.

Old 03-03-2010, 08:09 PM   #44

I think the reduced price for the Zong is because of overstock. The design of the 2006 Zongshen Sierra 200GY-2 is not any more dated than the 2010 Yamaha TW200.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 03-03-2010, 10:01 PM   #45

Call it the flat orange bike sale, the black ones are still asking up to $2,000.00 and some of them have a one year warranty…in case you get one that’s cam chain jumps.

Cults brain wash…wake up…reality is brutal. Warranties cover engines and they include the transmission always. They are contracts and enforceable a bill from certified mechanic and filing in small claims court is the last resort resolution.

The complaint have short durations on the net, they are and do not resolve problems and can interfere with any legal action, they end abruptly once legal action is taken.

The licensed distributor and dealer is a legal entity and warranty is a irrevocable contract unless you violate its terms, like buying outside of it…then its in fact worthless…as it does not exist.

You should not have to force compliance if you did that’s because you bought it from a dirt ball. If they told me its my fault then I leave, I go to another mechanic get it fixed and file claim in court.