Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Other Brands

Old 12-27-2023, 03:38 PM   #661

Tomorrow will be two months since I ordered the replacement hub. About a month since i ordered the reaction arm bushings. I went for an hour ride on Christmas day and had the bearings come loose in the hub again.

The bearings are a slip fit, press in by hand. Mine have spun so many times that the gap was .025"/.6mm. I figure if I take the wheel apart to have the hub sleeved now, I'll probably break a spoke. And those will be on back order. So I got the correct size stock and shimmed the puppies. I did a test fit that took some thinking on my part. Once I got them in place, it took a slide hammer to get them back out. That made me happy. I cut new shims and put it all back together.

I also shimmed the reaction arm bushings. There's still some slop in there, but it's been reduced by half.

New Years Day Freeze Your Ass Ride coming up on Monday.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

I'm making this up as I go.-Indiana Jones

Telling me something 'is for my own good', is a fast way to a fat lip.-Me

I don't even care about my own problems, why should I care about yours?-Quote on one of my favorite t-shirts

Old 12-28-2023, 12:18 PM   #662

Nice fix! I know that waiting on parts thing, now that I have to order some items straight from the UK. Takes a while.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 12-28-2023, 02:37 PM   #663

Thanks, 2LZ.

Just like Chinariders, ya gotta do what ya gotta do if you can't get parts and ya wanna ride.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

I don't even care about my own problems, why should I care about yours?-Quote on one of my favorite t-shirts

Old 12-29-2023, 11:39 AM   #664

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LZ View Post
Nice fix! I know that waiting on parts thing, now that I have to order some items straight from the UK. Takes a while.
I've been researching bikes lately, particularly sport touring bikes as I want to downsize the goldwing a bit. I was looking at the Moto Guzzi Norge. nice looking bike and the right size. the more I researched, I found that with MG bikes, getting parts and service can be quite problematic. I decided to stick with something more mainstream. Like perhaps a ural.

Bikes I've owned: Suzuki GS450T, Yamaha XS500, Honda V45 Sabre, Kawasaki Vulcan 1500 Classic (2), Suzuki VX800, Kawasaki Ninja 650, Triumph TT600, Honda Superhawk, Kawasaki Concours 1000 (3, including a sidecar rig), Buell XB9R, Kawasaki Nomad 1500, Concours 14, Honda Goldwing (2), Housen Hawk, Suzuki Intruder 1400, Kawasaki KLR650, Victory V92TC.

Old 12-29-2023, 12:44 PM   #665

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sport Rider View Post
I've been researching bikes lately, particularly sport touring bikes as I want to downsize the goldwing a bit. I was looking at the Moto Guzzi Norge. nice looking bike and the right size. the more I researched, I found that with MG bikes, getting parts and service can be quite problematic. I decided to stick with something more mainstream. Like perhaps a ural.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

Old 02-04-2024, 09:56 AM   #666

Have you ever started a project and, several hours into it, you start to think, "WTF was I thinking?".

Behold, a model of the original Ural, the M72.

It's a 1/35 scale kit out of Russia and A LOT smaller than I expected. The frame and front fork took several hours because I'd drop a tiny part on the floor and spend ten minutes looking for it. Remembering that I had the 'octopus' in the other garage helped greatly. The frame pieces turned out to be molded somewhat bent.(Thanks, Ivan) So, it was glue one section. Let it set, then glue another section, then let it set. Ad infinitum.

The engine was about a dozen pieces and sits nicely on the quarter. My sausage fingers apparently do not like working with tiny pieces. Such that, I'm having flashbacks of being 8 years old with strings of model cement and ooky finger prints on a model of a 1964 Dodge. If I recall, the glue smelled better, too.

What sucks is that I also have a 1/35 BMW R75, which replaced the BMW R71, that became the Ural M72. Why? Because I'm an idiot.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

Old 02-04-2024, 03:34 PM   #667

Oh....no way.

2009 Q Link XP 200

Old 02-04-2024, 05:27 PM   #668

well its is a kit...some nutters do that sort of thing from scratch...

Old 02-05-2024, 01:13 AM   #669

Quote:
Originally Posted by XLsior View Post
well its is a kit...some nutters do that sort of thing from scratch...
Not that. I just can't see/finger the tiny stuff anymore. I'd be one-eyeing it, with multiple magnifiers in tow.....then probably fling the tiny part across the room because my tweezers are jittery. I'll stick with wrenches. ;-)

2009 Q Link XP 200

Old 02-05-2024, 07:26 AM   #670

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LZ View Post
Not that. I just can't see/finger the tiny stuff anymore. I'd be one-eyeing it, with multiple magnifiers in tow.....then probably fling the tiny part across the room because my tweezers are jittery. I'll stick with wrenches. ;-)
You were looking over my shoulder?

I don't need to throw the offending part, it just shoots out from the tweezers.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

Old 02-06-2024, 12:21 PM   #671

In an effort not to be one of those retired guys that die in his easy chair, I rejoined a bicycle and ski club that I belonged to in the 80's. Because it's kind of crappy weather for old coots to ride in, they get together on Tuesday mornings for a 3 to 5 mile walk.

Being a bit more goofy than your typical coot, I rode the Ural to the start. This older gent walked up to me as I was taking off my helmet and asks, in an Eastern European accent, "Is that an Ooral?" Then he introduced himself as Gene, an old Russian guy who's been in the US for 40 years. Then out of the blue, he asks if I'm Mike. Someone let out my secret that I planned to show up.

There were about 9 of us on the walk this morning. Gene and I did the 5 mile route together and BS'd the entire walk. Turns out, Gene was in the Russian Army and spent three years north of the Arctic Circle While he was stationed there, his vehicle was an old Ural motorcycle. I probably learned more about the Russian Army from him in an hour, than I've ever known.

BTW, not only do my quads ache, so do my biceps.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

Old 02-06-2024, 12:38 PM   #672

Stay away from Gene ! Being sent by the military to the Arctic for 3 years means he is trouble !

Old 03-20-2024, 01:26 PM   #673

Six months since I ordered my new front hub and five months since I ordered the reaction arm bushings. It's bad news, good news, bad news. Bad news, hubs are still on back order. Good news, the bushings are back in stock. Bad news, I ordered two bushings and Redmond only sent one.

Joy.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800