Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Other Brands
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-2014, 07:17 PM   #1

braaap Motorcycles

Saw them advertise in one of the motorcycle magazine. I know few people like cafe racers. Looks affordable too. Not sure about the lifitime warranty part, what is covered under that?
This is their website.

http://www.braaapmotorcycles.com/Road_c_212.html

Mercury 250cc Cafe Racer | Lifetime Warranty | Designed In Australia

The braaap Street Superlite | Road Legal Pitbike | Lifetime Warranty

Old 08-22-2014, 11:21 PM   #2

they ve been around for a while i think. lifetime warranty means that the frame won t break, but i d like to read the exclusions. not a lot of legalese on the webpage about that, so look at the detail.
i like the street legal motard pit bike! might be tempted to buy that pony. super x-pensive but street legal, i don t think we have street legal pitties at the moment in oz? they were around a few years ago, but they were nasty cheapos, this one s probably better quality.

Old 08-23-2014, 06:16 AM   #3

I have one of these, great bike especially for a learner.
Braaap are next to useless when it comes to information, i ordered one and was told it was on the boat and would be here in two weeks, two and a half months later it arrived along with many different excuses along the way and this was their first shipment.
Lifetime warranty? For an extra $250 it's yours but all i have been able to find out is that you have to have it serviced with them and that took 3 weeks to find out and when i asked about servicing it myself as i'm a motor mechanic and what was the normal warranty well i'm still waiting for that answer and maybe a refund.
I had a small off and laid it down on a wet corner a month ago and trying to get parts and prices from them was painful so it's mod time, quicker and easier to get them myself online. They had a headlight in the display case and didn't know if it was for sale, a spare fuel tank for if you wanted to change the colour of your bike but they didn't know anything about it so it just sat in the corner lol.
Still no owners manual, that was going to the printers when the bike arrived six weeks ago and i have asked twice since about it with the same blank i have no idea look. So seems to be a great bike so far just the company selling it has no idea except for how to make a quick profit.

Old 08-23-2014, 12:16 PM   #4

Welcome Kenny!

You experience sounds like par for the course with typical China bike dealers. They often rush the product to market without working out the details. I hope you weren't injured when you laid the bike down.

Thanks for the vids, Pliskin.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 08-23-2014, 02:56 PM   #5

Welcome to these forums, Kenny. Thanks for posting your personal experience with these motorcycles.

I agree with Weld. Owning a Braaap sounds a lot like owning a Chinese motorcycle. I wouldn't place a lot of faith in the 'lifetime warranty.'

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 08-23-2014, 04:29 PM   #6

Thanks Zingshoen. Clever marketing for sure. Yes the street legal motard pit bike looks like a lot of fun for sure.

@kennyb000y
Thanks for your input and sorry to hear that your experience with the company wasn't that great. Good warning for others if they are looking at purchasing this bike.

Old 08-23-2014, 08:29 PM   #7

under the circumstances you d probably want to go to their shop and buy a crate or an assembled bike if you can, and forego the extra 250 for lifetime warranty. they re down in frankston. but i can t quite see myself driving 1800 ks with the trailer over the weekend...

Old 08-23-2014, 10:56 PM   #8

Thanks guys, just a few bumps and bruises luckily more damage to the bike than me. I'm thinking of calling another store to try and get some info as the local one knows nothing and has no idea how to find out.
I thought they was designing a whole new bike but it's just direct chinese import with some extra emission controls and bits to pass for Aus. Which isn't much of a problem as I love the cafe racer look and i am loving the bike and the easy options to change it and make it my own, i have so far changed the handle bars, speedo, headlight and tail light, and just about to buy another carb for it and open up my tuning options.
I shall post some pics when it's done.

Old 08-24-2014, 12:00 AM   #9

Thanks for posting the additional information, Kenny. It's nice to know the Braaap motorcycles are genuine Chinese bikes. Since you own a Chinese bike, please do start a new thread in our Street Forum, and post lots of photographs; we love photos.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 08-24-2014, 02:20 AM   #10

yes, as Spud says, genuine china is the way to go (rather than fake china)! especially if it is a later generation chinabike. would the motor have zongshen stamped on it anywhere?

which number is stamped behind your gear lever? it s probably a 223 cc. what size carb is it? if it is a 223cc, you should be able to buy from a number of online vendors, or from taobao, but sounds like you ve done that already. i get stuff from Xmotos sometimes, coz it is quick.

also: what sort of info do you need? i got the cr230f manual from links posted at thumpertalk.

Old 08-24-2014, 12:24 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider View Post
Since you own a Chinese bike, please do start a new thread in our Street Forum, and post lots of photographs; we love photos.
X2! Please show us pics of your bike. I'd love to see the transformation.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 08-25-2014, 03:52 AM   #12

The number under and to the left of the gear lever is the engine number? It's 167FMM-M and under that i guess it's the engine number of E1300082.
The engine is supposed to be a 250cc but i'm not sure if it is that big.
Carb is a Shengwey PZ30. And owners manual i was just after servicing information, valve clearances etc, i have changed the oil once and found the wire mesh filter so that was easy to do.

Old 08-25-2014, 09:35 AM   #13

it s a 223 cc bored out to 229 if i'm not wrong, but they do sell them as "250". perhaps 230 would be more accurate. could it be like this one:

http://www.hooperimports.com/product...id=250Vertical

if so have a look at thumper talk for the CRF230 manual. it s too big for e-mail.

if they put a PZ30 on, that is a reasonable size for that motor i think.

Old 08-25-2014, 06:38 PM   #14

Oh that's a bit rude if it's not a 250, from what I have read I think you are right though

This is mine, I'll get a better pic. I have ordered a mikuni 30mm so I can play with the jets and remove the cat from the exhaust and give it a bit more go.

Old 08-25-2014, 11:59 PM   #15

Definitely not a 250, but you'll love that little pushrod motor. My Lifan only has a 200, and it's a terrific little bike. The Mikuni is a good choice.