Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Other Brands
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-10-2015, 07:27 AM   #1

Polaris Magnum 425 4x4

This is the other ATV i traded my Gio X33 for..In my opinion this is THE one i traded it for and the Baja was a bonus since around here even in the non running condition its in this ATV is still worth around 12-1500. I am not sure what year it is since im not quite sure where the vin number/year plate is on it. Plus i didnt get much of a chance to look today since i was at my buddies place for other reasons.

It has a Warn 4200 lb winch on an aftermarket winch carrier mount and is in overall decent condition considering it has been sitting outside for who knows how long...

General plan for this ATV:

High Lifter suspension lift kit to gain 2" of height for better ground clearance
Replacing the stock headlights in the front bumper with a pair of Rigid Dually lights from an old off road project
Possibly replacing the main headlight with another pair of duallys or a single 6" LED light bar bolted to a filler plate in place of the headlight
Or retrofitting the stock headlight with an LED or HID kit
Dirt bike handle bars and handguards
Twist grip throttle conversion if possible
Rear carrying case
'80 Honda XL185S
'76 Yamaha DT250C dual sport
Baja Wilderness Trail 250
'07 Honda Shadow 750 Areo Trike
'01 Harley Davidson Softail Deuce
Polaris Magnum 425 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyj812 View Post
You can't pin this one on me, my wife is still mad at me. I don't need your wife mad at me too. LOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LZ View Post
Disclaimer: The above post by 2LZ is in no way the view of this site, other members or Bruce's llama. It is the opinion of 2LZ and 2LZ alone. ;-)

Old 09-10-2015, 10:59 AM   #2

Is that the two-smoke version?

A twist grip is fun in straight line racing, but not in technical areas where you're turning. It's no fun trying to steer and twist the throttle.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 09-10-2015, 12:23 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
Is that the two-smoke version?

A twist grip is fun in straight line racing, but not in technical areas where you're turning. It's no fun trying to steer and twist the throttle.
As far as i know it is the 4 stroke. It has the dual chain drive setup like the Scrambler 400s of the same year...If i remember right the Scrambler 500 used a chain front drive and a shaft rear. The Magnum and the 400 used chains front and rear. As for the twist grip thing..im used to riding technical trails on large dirt bikes like CR500s and Xr650s..The XR would probably be the closest to the feeling that the ATV would have.
'80 Honda XL185S
Polaris Magnum 425 4x4

Quote:
You can't pin this one on me, my wife is still mad at me. I don't need your wife mad at me too. LOL
Quote:
Disclaimer: The above post by 2LZ is in no way the view of this site, other members or Bruce's llama. It is the opinion of 2LZ and 2LZ alone. ;-)

Old 09-11-2015, 10:47 AM   #4

I'll be interested to hear how you like riding with the twist grip.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 09-11-2015, 10:00 PM   #5

Quote:
I'll be interested to hear how you like riding with the twist grip.
it will be interesting to see if i can even fit one to begin with lol. But yea its def an experiment i wish to try to see if i can make it work.
'80 Honda XL185S
Polaris Magnum 425 4x4

Quote:
Quote:

Old 09-12-2015, 01:52 AM   #6

Congratulations on your acquisition.

I own a Honda XR650L, and I used to own an ATV. I agree with Weld. The ATV will twist the handlebars in ways a motorcycle never would. The thumb throttle is a definite advantage for an ATV. Personally, I would never install a twist throttle on an ATV.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 09-12-2015, 03:03 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider View Post
Congratulations on your acquisition.

I own a Honda XR650L, and I used to own an ATV. I agree with Weld. The ATV will twist the handlebars in ways a motorcycle never would. The thumb throttle is a definite advantage for an ATV. Personally, I would never install a twist throttle on an ATV.
Thanks, I will see how i like the throttle as it is now but eventually an issue with my hand may force the conversion as there are times my hand will get painful and lock up into a claw like position...at least with a twist grip i can roll the throttle forward to slow down...not so sure if i would be able to move my thumb off of the throttle in that situation though..
'80 Honda XL185S
Polaris Magnum 425 4x4

Quote:
Quote:

Old 09-12-2015, 01:27 PM   #8

I have a similar issue with ATV throttles, and my wife's hands are too small to comfortably operate an ATV throttle for long periods. I installed something like this on our quads: https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p...ottle-Extender

Old 09-12-2015, 01:27 PM   #9

BTW, I think I found them at Walmart.

Old 09-12-2015, 10:42 PM   #10

That throttle extender is pretty nice.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 09-13-2015, 03:08 AM   #11

Thanks for the suggestion Weld i will def need to check it out.
'80 Honda XL185S
Polaris Magnum 425 4x4

Quote:
Quote:

Old 09-13-2015, 05:06 AM   #12

I have a 250 hummer dirt bike ,and installed an atc 200 carb ,cable and thumb throttle on it because I had everything laying around .Anyways ,that thumb throttle is the worst part of that bike ,my thumb gets severe cramps from using it ,but ,no matter what I can always drive it home by letting go of the bar and just pushing the throttle with my hand when I get cramped up with it .A twist throttle will be installed before I run it again .

Old 09-13-2015, 05:03 PM   #13

That's the benefit to a throttle extender on a quad. If your thumb gets sore, you can always use the palm of your hand.

Old 09-13-2015, 05:40 PM   #14

If you are riding on smooth roads, the twist throttle will work okay. However, if you ride in rough terrain, the ATV will pull on the handlebars very hard, and you will have your hands full just hanging on, let alone working a twist throttle. That thumb throttle extender is the ticket.

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 09-22-2015, 01:29 PM   #15

Quote:
That's the benefit to a throttle extender on a quad. If your thumb gets sore, you can always use the palm of your hand.
This is very true!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider View Post
If you are riding on smooth roads, the twist throttle will work okay. However, if you ride in rough terrain, the ATV will pull on the handlebars very hard, and you will have your hands full just hanging on, let alone working a twist throttle. That thumb throttle extender is the ticket.
I will def need to see if that will work for me then.
'80 Honda XL185S
Polaris Magnum 425 4x4

Quote:
Quote: