Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-10-2019, 08:39 PM   #1

Hehe diy's d.i.y. fuel tank

Well, as some of you may remember. I have a 2017 magician.
ORIGINALLY POSTED HERE
The biggest problem on this bike was the fuel tank.it would develop leaks at the seam that joins the 2 halves. I tried patching it with glues and putty's. I bronze braised the whole seam. I even paid $50for an epoxy tank sealer. Not to mention. All the time spent on the problem. Q9 wasn't helping me at all of course. Txpowersoprts wanted like $90. I don't bleeping think so. I dont think all magicians have junk tanks. My best friend has a magician we ordered from same place on same day and they were delivered 2 days apart with vin numbers only 8 numbers off! Anyhow his tank is fine.
So I had built this fuel tank to get me through....

It got me through the last few months but a better solution was needed. So I started looking around to see what I could find to use. I am lucky to live near miles and miles of 4x4 trails to ride and at one certain point some human scum has began to use it as they're personal dump. Low and behold I found this.....

After two weeks of not much mental planning this is what happend..

Cut handles and valve off, put bolt through valve hole and weld shut. Take big hammer and negotiate into shape that resembles a fuel tank...

Drill hole for a brass hose barb and aluminum braise it in.

Find an old fuel tank to be a donor for a filler and cap..

Get it..

Braise it to new tank

Weld a mount on the front to use stock bolt hole and weld tab on top back end to hold the tie down straps..

Braise in threaded things for fuel level sight...

Grind paint off. (Should have done this first) and make everything smooth..

Spend a day and a half painting

Cut an old mower tire down to be a pad under the tank..

A few of them things..

And boom!

It holds almost 3gal and the stock magician tank only holds 1.8 I think.

Well thanks for checking it out. This was a fun build, but now I need to find another project...

Old 12-10-2019, 10:10 PM   #2

That's just wrong...you should be celebrating with a Pacifico or Modello, not a Tecate. At least not a Tecate from a can; out of the bottle they are MUCH better!! With a slice of lime...

Okay, joking aside, you have one of the GREATEST Chinabikes I have ever seen! It is awesome that you shunned traditional and made it your own. Broken gas tank...NO problem!! Fix it with a recycled helium can!! You actually give me hope to bring back my long dead TMEC endure. I sold off the wheels a long time ago, so the carcass has been rotting in the AZ sun, but if my son's karate teacher doesn't take it away for the engine to re-power his Baja branded buggy (remember those from Pep Boys?), or I don't donate it to the local live steamers group to be used in some sort of hot-rodded scale model riding train, I might look the bike over and see if I can get it back on the road. Thanks for the influence and with the money you saved on the tank, please go get a good Mexican beer, or at least Tecate in a bottle...

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 12-11-2019, 01:53 AM   #3

Next post will be Tecate spare fuel can!

Old 12-11-2019, 01:55 AM   #4

That's true fabrication out of necessity. I love it.

Old 12-11-2019, 07:37 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Essayons View Post
Next post will be Tecate spare fuel can!
Actually it's capt'n Morgan spare fuel bottle. And I already did that.. lol

Old 12-11-2019, 07:39 AM   #6

Find damn job if I say so myself. Blends right in with the theme of the bike. I like the very accurate fuel gauge. no guess work on knowing how much fuel you have.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 12-11-2019, 08:49 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by culcune View Post
That's just wrong...you should be celebrating with a Pacifico or Modello, not a Tecate. At least not a Tecate from a can; out of the bottle they are MUCH better!! With a slice of lime...

Okay, joking aside, you have one of the GREATEST Chinabikes I have ever seen! It is awesome that you shunned traditional and made it your own. Broken gas tank...NO problem!! Fix it with a recycled helium can!! You actually give me hope to bring back my long dead TMEC endure. I sold off the wheels a long time ago, so the carcass has been rotting in the AZ sun, but if my son's karate teacher doesn't take it away for the engine to re-power his Baja branded buggy (remember those from Pep Boys?), or I don't donate it to the local live steamers group to be used in some sort of hot-rodded scale model riding train, I might look the bike over and see if I can get it back on the road. Thanks for the influence and with the money you saved on the tank, please go get a good Mexican beer, or at least Tecate in a bottle...
i still have the stock set of wheels off my 07 shineray, front and rear disc somewhere in my parents shop out in chicago... maybe they could ship em your way

Old 12-11-2019, 09:15 AM   #8

That is some damn fine redneck engineering there. The best part of a job well done like this is the process:

Start:
"I really should just drop the $90 for a replacement part."

End: (sliced up fingers/hands, unknown hours of labor)
"Saved myself $90, bitches."

There's a lot of folks on here that will have transportation even after the zombie apocalypse.

Old 12-11-2019, 10:53 AM   #9

Send a message via Yahoo to ikeus685
Thumbs Up Tecate

Quote:

Agree on the Pacifica or Modelo choice over Tecate.. If I remember right from my youthful travel around.. Tecate is right in the heart of where all the plants for Tequila are grown. Yes! Your great for not following the status Quo!

Old 12-11-2019, 11:46 AM   #10

Love your style, DIY!

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 12-11-2019, 01:34 PM   #11

"After two weeks of not much mental planning"

I fookin love this bike, like one of my favorites of all time! thanks for sharing your creation and genius 'use what u got' craftsmanship!

Old 12-11-2019, 07:14 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogieboy View Post
i still have the stock set of wheels off my 07 shineray, front and rear disc somewhere in my parents shop out in chicago... maybe they could ship em your way
I appreciate the offer, but TMEC used some oddball hub. I had to order a sprocket for European sumos/dirt bikes which fit the TMEC.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 12-12-2019, 10:04 AM   #13

Quote:
I appreciate the offer, but TMEC used some oddball hub. I had to order a sprocket for European sumos/dirt bikes which fit the TMEC.

no problem, just thought i would offer...LOL