Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-03-2017, 08:46 PM   #1

Ok, NOW a lighting issue. :/

Again, still bone stock. Tinkered around mounting my cell phone mount and finding a suitable location for mounting my USB charger/voltmeter, when I decided to fire her up and see how the headlight performs(haven't ridden her in the dark yet)

When I notice the headlight flickers!. Based on RPM. Switch to high beam, and it's rock solid. What in the actual F is going on here? LoL

Rides a 2016 Bashan 18C with Blue PlastiDip, piped and jetted, USB charger, real-time digital volt meter, faux carbon fiber handguards, 5 COB led headlight upgrade, auxiliary led light bars, and an MSR shift lever with new grips, T6 aluminum handlebars anodized in blue, polished handlebar brace, decals, HD Unibear chain and spoke covers waiting on the always-full mod shelf......

Old 04-03-2017, 11:05 PM   #2

There is a bad contact somewhere in the big cable connector right under the headlight. Disconnect it and bend with a small screwdriver all female parts.

Old 04-15-2017, 03:08 PM   #3

Well, once I had the headlight bezel repainted, I took a look at the 4 pin connection and found nothing out of the ordinary, and....it still does it. Lucky for me, I have to pull it back off to swap in my 5 led headlight bulb. Maybe I'll find a smoking gun soon. :(

Rides a 2016 Bashan 18C with Blue PlastiDip, piped and jetted, USB charger, real-time digital volt meter, faux carbon fiber handguards, 5 COB led headlight upgrade, auxiliary led light bars, and an MSR shift lever with new grips, T6 aluminum handlebars anodized in blue, polished handlebar brace, decals, HD Unibear chain and spoke covers waiting on the always-full mod shelf......

Old 05-01-2017, 09:07 PM   #4

Ok, so I went for a quick ride tonight, and the low beam cuts out at the same RPM every time....... let the revs fall below that threshold, and it'll come back on. The high beam still works flawlessly. Any ideas? I'm stumped.

Old 05-01-2017, 09:21 PM   #5

have you had a look at the hi/lo switch...
the power feed for both come from the same place
they are then split to either the low or high beam at the switch..

is about all I can think of...

77 Montesa Cota 348 MRR "Malcom Rathnell Replica"...

Current resto projects..
81 Honda CT110...
80 Kawasaki KL250A1...

11 Husaburg TE125 enduro... "sold" along with another 31...
Lifan 125 Pitbike.. "stolen" ...

KIWI BIKER FORUM...... http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/content.php

All the best offroad rides in NZ...
http://www.remotemoto.com/

E-mail... xtpete1@gmail.com

Old 05-01-2017, 09:37 PM   #6

Definitely will look into that Pete. I'm going to bring my multimeter home from work tomorrow and test the voltage at various rooms......a Google search led me to think the rectifier may be failing. No matter what, I think my 5 led bulb will be installed tomorrow. That Google search also led me to a Suzuki forum where someone had a standard incandescent bulb failing whereas the low beam filament would separate at a certain RPM, then come back together once RPM dropped. Keeping my ��

Old 05-01-2017, 10:06 PM   #7

That's really weird for sure. I would say the rectifier IF the high beam did the same thing. The fact the high beam works, seems to point to the bulb. The multimeter voltage check for low/high should tell you....., but I'd try that led out and see how it does too.

Edit: I noticed your cluster lights remain solid. I'd say it's a bum bulb or connection.

Edit 2: What's the crappy lil running light do?

Previously owned / operated MOTO Xtreme selling American Lifan / Check out my friends at www.armattanquads.com

"Imagination is more important that knowledge" Albert Einstein

Old 05-02-2017, 10:10 PM   #8

I'd say the bulb or a connection. If it were the regulator it would be happening with the high beam as well.

Old 05-02-2017, 11:24 PM   #9

Get yourself a basic multimeter at the parts store and back probe the low beam and ground of the headlight harness and see if you see the power fluctuates at all. Then take the ground out and earth it to a known point like the block and see if that changes or stays the same. Depending on the results it can help narrow down what to do next. Or buy a cheap h4 bulb and see if it does the same thing. Personally, I would rather have a multimeter. They come in handy. It also sure beats the pants off a bunch of guys guessing on the internet lol

Edit: For what it's worth, a loose or broken filament in the bulb could simply be reacting to the harmonics of the bike. 1cyl engines aren't known to be buttery smooth.

Old 05-03-2017, 12:02 AM   #10

i vote bulb! the bulb on the bar hog works sometimes sometimes not you can see the filaments and they look good. i took it out and put straight 12v to it and it didnt work put it back in and it stated working. time to get a new one.
13' long chopper in progress
2009 johnny pag bar hog
2004 hd electra glide ultra classic shriner edition
1997 harley davidson 1200 sportster
1972 harley davidson amf sx250

Old 05-03-2017, 09:18 AM   #11

There's three wires to the headlight, one ground, one low beam and one high beam. I have a copy of the wiring schematic I'll post.

Old 05-03-2017, 09:44 AM   #12

Here you go

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 05-04-2017, 07:58 PM   #13

Just an update: it HAD to be the bulb. Last night I swapped in the 5 COB led bulb, and the issue went away. Thanks to everyone with their contributions, more often than not, many minds are better at diagnosing than just one. Your time is truly appreciated.

Old 05-04-2017, 09:26 PM   #14

I'm glad you found your gremlin

" Time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted." - John Lennon

“I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
― Thomas Jefferson

"If you don't know where you're going any road will take you there" ....George Harrison song