Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-18-2019, 02:16 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Richardson View Post
TBH, there's not a huge incentive to buy used. I mean, $1,400 brand new and to your door? Hard to beat. I did buy used, but under 100 miles and I was afraid of licensing, at the time, and knew the bike was already successfully registered. That said, I wouldn't want to be a seller either. My bike rolled over 1,500 miles and, even with the upgrades, is probably worth $800 on a good day. Crazy right? You can probably make a killing parting these bikes out.
I think the incentive is there if the bike is lower mile, already registered in your state, and sub $1000. Say it was a bike sub 1000 miles on it, with a title, and was complete with nothing broken or missing and you got it for $800. That's 43% less than a new bike, and for somebody on a really tight budget could be the difference between having one or not.

As far as worth more in parts? I doubt it. No matter how good the engine is, you might get $300-350 for it. stock exhaust is worth about as much as scrap metal, or you MIGHT get $20 for it if you waited a long time. I couldn't give mine away. The plastics, assuming they are unbroken and excluding the headlight, maybe $100 for the set. Fuel tank in good shape with no leaks, maybe $50. The CDI, coil, etc are so cheap new that you would have to sell them for almost nothing. The front and rear wheels might be worth a little, but again, less than $100 since a new stock wheel is only a bit over $100.

So, in a best case scenario, you might get the same $800 out of it in parts vs. selling the whole bike. Selling a whole bike is much easier lol.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 04-18-2019, 05:47 PM   #17

I have a Magician 325 miles tagged and registered in NC with aftermarket forks and controls and a lot of other stuff and accessories, and a spare rebuilt engine with zero miles I'm just including.. I got one offer for $400.00 from some kid for all of it and it's advertised all over the place..

With the parting out strategy: I basically rebuild one and got parts inside a couple weeks for $300.00 off yoycart. I'd have to sale a brand new engine $200.00 just to get offers, and that'd only be for the small local market owners making $50-$150 offers..

Like I said before though 150cc Chinese scooters will sale for at least 70% what they cost you new inside a week. This is an odd market.. I get serious offers on those the day I post the ad..

Old 04-19-2019, 10:14 PM   #18

Looks like a good one just showed up in the forsale section on this forum , looks like a clean unit with good mods. Check it out.

Old 04-20-2019, 02:03 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsstag View Post
Looks like a good one just showed up in the forsale section on this forum , looks like a clean unit with good mods. Check it out.
$950.00 and you can buy another one for what he is losing in parts alone..

I have a Magician with Tusk rims, Fox forks, Honda OEM controls/shifter/coil, Yuasa AGM battery(Trickster OEM), NGK plug, VM26 clone with accurate jets, US made Timken bearings(I got them from the actual plant), all US made Grade-8 fastener hardware, RZ o-ring chain, a spare zero-mile engine, and LED signals that had one $400.00 offer. I don't mention a lot of other stuff I included either..

I have 4 RPS bikes right now and only one did I pay over $700.00 for(The Magician I bought from Q9 when I first got in to this). All mint condition and mostly modded.. If you want one already setup cheap it's amazingly easy to pull off.. Just don't try to make money or come out even with one..