Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2016, 11:01 PM   #1366

Still stock jets. I want to wait until its fully broken-in before I start swappin' things around. Pretty sure I'm gonna lean it out a bit.

Cheers,

Dan K.

Dan's Motorcycle Blog - "Lost? I'm not lost. I'm just exploring. . ."

Old 07-26-2016, 12:44 PM   #1367

Well, I got the 17 tooth sprocket and decided to go ahead and commute to work today. I knew that it'd take a bit longer than normal since I'm still breaking in the engine, but this will help me get through the break-in period much faster.

I rode up and over the first big hill on my way to work and everything was fine. For once I was grateful for traffic because I wasn't holding anyone up even though I was topped out at 55 mph and dropping. Still, made it up and over the hill and the rest was downhill.

At 360ish km on the odometer, my speedometer finally quit. I assume this is due to the speedometer cable issue, but I haven't checked yet. In any case, I pulled over and downloaded a GPS app to track how many more miles/km I put on and started off again.

I got to work and shut off the recording, and I discovered that my top speed - moving downhill with no wind to speak of - was 64 mph, which is faster than I expected. I'm pretty pleased by that, but I'd really like to be able to achieve 65 mph on the flat or even a slight uphill. With that or 70 mph as my top speed, I'd be a lot more comfortable.

I kept the 15T sprocket, so if I head out on the dirt, I may put that back on. However, with some very casual riding, the 17T worked just fine, even down in the very low end.

Next step for me is to get through the first 500 miles or so before changing anything else. If the motor loosens up enough to give me the speeds I want, I'll probably stay pretty much stock. If not, I'll get a new carb, try a new exhaust, and put some more street-oriented tires on it, probably in that order.

I'm excited to see what happens!

Current: CSC TT250

Old 07-26-2016, 12:47 PM   #1368

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddthought View Post
Well, I got the 17 tooth sprocket and decided to go ahead and commute to work today. I knew that it'd take a bit longer than normal since I'm still breaking in the engine, but this will help me get through the break-in period much faster.

I rode up and over the first big hill on my way to work and everything was fine. For once I was grateful for traffic because I wasn't holding anyone up even though I was topped out at 55 mph and dropping. Still, made it up and over the hill and the rest was downhill.

At 360ish km on the odometer, my speedometer finally quit. I assume this is due to the speedometer cable issue, but I haven't checked yet. In any case, I pulled over and downloaded a GPS app to track how many more miles/km I put on and started off again.

I got to work and shut off the recording, and I discovered that my top speed - moving downhill with no wind to speak of - was 64 mph, which is faster than I expected. I'm pretty pleased by that, but I'd really like to be able to achieve 65 mph on the flat or even a slight uphill. With that or 70 mph as my top speed, I'd be a lot more comfortable.

I kept the 15T sprocket, so if I head out on the dirt, I may put that back on. However, with some very casual riding, the 17T worked just fine, even down in the very low end.

Next step for me is to get through the first 500 miles or so before changing anything else. If the motor loosens up enough to give me the speeds I want, I'll probably stay pretty much stock. If not, I'll get a new carb, try a new exhaust, and put some more street-oriented tires on it, probably in that order.

I'm excited to see what happens!
odd, I keep wondering how cscdude got 73mph out of the "stock" bike.. I don't see it.
Seer's First LAW-"FLY THE PLANE!", fail that, and nothing else matters. 12th Law- Consider what marvels you might do if only you had tomorrow to live over again. Third Law-When someone tells you some thing "Can't Be Done", what they're really saying is They can't do it!!14th Law-Just because something "IS", doesn't necessarily mean it SHOULD be.. Eighth Law-The only true personal security is anonymity.Ninth Law-Humans tend to learn very little when speaking.10th Law-Some lives ARE worth taking

Old 07-26-2016, 12:50 PM   #1369

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeerAtlas View Post
odd, I keep wondering how cscdude got 73mph out of the "stock" bike.. I don't see it.
Cliff.....just prior to terminal velocity.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 07-26-2016, 12:51 PM   #1370

Quote:
I'm guessing that the engine had been broken in (maybe he rode it after the CARB/EPA miles), and that the bike he was riding had a speedometer like the RX3s, which seem to be about 10% optimistic. 73-7=66, which appears to be a reasonable top speed if you're WOT and heading downhill or flat with a tailwind. I don't think he meant to mislead anyone, but I also don't think he was quite as accurate as might be hoped. Time will tell as I put more miles on.

Current: CSC TT250

Old 07-26-2016, 12:54 PM   #1371

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddthought View Post
I don't think he meant to mislead anyone, but I also don't think he was quite as accurate as might be hoped. Time will tell as I put more miles on.
Agreed. I think they were most likely quoting spec from the factory, not necessarily an actual land speed test. Just like "309lbs". I doubt they actually weighed it.

2009 Q Link XP 200

Old 07-27-2016, 09:21 AM   #1372

My experience with the TT 250: I did drop it and bent the bars, new ones $16, throttle tube grip assy $7, rt mirror $7, muffler heat shield was less than $20, rt lever $7. Pretty fair pricing on replacement parts and I got them in just a few days. Yesterday I hit an indicated 70mph on a looooong flat straight, I'm at 185lbs. and at just above sea level. The speedo might be a little rich. Weird mechanical noise went away at about 200km. Checked valves at 200km or so and they were good. This really surprised me. Changed oil yesterday at 400km and really nothing to speak of in the screen. I found a valvoline 20 - 50 conventional oil for motorcycles for less than $4 a qt at walmart. About a 1/4 of the km were off road, mostly on loosy goosy round rock stuff they use for logging roads around here. I'm not really comfortable with the feel on this stuff, kinda like floating around. On dry grass and dirt, feels great. This is my first bike with knobby like tires. I may need different tires for these roads. Any suggestions? Out of the box, this thing has been great. And that is what we are getting from CSC, an easily licensed, assembled, cheaply repaired machine that, at the time, cost $1,895. The tutorials have helped this carpenter learn more about mechanics. Thats one of the reasons I bought it. It's like taking an on-line class. So far so good. Another thing is getting used to such a small bike on the street as my other bikes have been much more powerful and heavy, including a couple guzzi 1100 models.

Old 07-27-2016, 09:27 AM   #1373

Thumbs Up

look at IRC tr8's for the knobbies you need in the squirrelly stuff. I love em, makes a WORLD of difference. not too expensive either. stock stuff ok for dry hard pack dirt, that's about it.
Seer's First LAW-"FLY THE PLANE!", fail that, and nothing else matters. 12th Law- Consider what marvels you might do if only you had tomorrow to live over again. Third Law-When someone tells you some thing "Can't Be Done", what they're really saying is They can't do it!!14th Law-Just because something "IS", doesn't necessarily mean it SHOULD be.. Eighth Law-The only true personal security is anonymity.Ninth Law-Humans tend to learn very little when speaking.10th Law-Some lives ARE worth taking

Old 07-27-2016, 10:14 AM   #1374

Quote:
Originally Posted by motopat View Post
My experience with the TT 250: I did drop it and bent the bars, new ones $16, throttle tube grip assy $7, rt mirror $7, muffler heat shield was less than $20, rt lever $7. Pretty fair pricing on replacement parts and I got them in just a few days. Yesterday I hit an indicated 70mph on a looooong flat straight, I'm at 185lbs. and at just above sea level. The speedo might be a little rich. Weird mechanical noise went away at about 200km. Checked valves at 200km or so and they were good. This really surprised me. Changed oil yesterday at 400km and really nothing to speak of in the screen. I found a valvoline 20 - 50 conventional oil for motorcycles for less than $4 a qt at walmart. About a 1/4 of the km were off road, mostly on loosy goosy round rock stuff they use for logging roads around here. I'm not really comfortable with the feel on this stuff, kinda like floating around. On dry grass and dirt, feels great. This is my first bike with knobby like tires. I may need different tires for these roads. Any suggestions? Out of the box, this thing has been great. And that is what we are getting from CSC, an easily licensed, assembled, cheaply repaired machine that, at the time, cost $1,895. The tutorials have helped this carpenter learn more about mechanics. Thats one of the reasons I bought it. It's like taking an on-line class. So far so good. Another thing is getting used to such a small bike on the street as my other bikes have been much more powerful and heavy, including a couple guzzi 1100 models.
Excellent and very fair review! and you're right. CSC has been spectacular and has been 50% of the value of this TT250 in their personal treatment, fast response and excellent service. I've had better service with CSC than ANY Japanese bike dealer I've ever dealt with. Only HD has come close. I've always had great service at HD...but you pay for it.

2009 Q Link XP 200

Old 07-27-2016, 07:00 PM   #1375

Quote:
Originally Posted by motopat View Post
Thanks for the review. Sorry to hear you dropped it. I agree about the learning more about mechanics. That was part of the reason I bought it too - simple and easy for a newbie like me to work on, especially with the CSC tutorials, manual and support. So far the bike's been great. The only small negative for me has been the broken speedo and speedo cable. As soon as CSC sends me a replacement speedo cluster, I'll be good. Hopefully they get them in sometime soon.

2016 CSC TT250

Old 07-28-2016, 01:23 AM   #1376

Quote:
Well, if you were selling bikes wouldn't you advertise the best case scenario with optimism and a serious wind at your back? I haven't pushed mine hard as it's not through the break-in, but I think high 60's would be optimistic and 73 unrealistic in the real world.

Old 07-28-2016, 01:26 AM   #1377

Quote:
Originally Posted by '16 TT250 View Post
Well, if you were selling bikes wouldn't you advertise the best case scenario with optimism and a serious wind at your back? I haven't pushed mine hard as it's not through the break-in, but I think high 60's would be optimistic and 73 unrealistic in the real world.
One of my other hobbies is RC trucks, and those are pretty optimistic on the box as well lol.

Old 07-28-2016, 04:57 AM   #1378

I've got 260 actual miles on my TT so far. I can't break 50mph unless going downhill. And yes. I have the proper sprockets.
I've adjusted the valves as they were way too tight.
I've also removed the stock airbox lid, and added an exhaust.
I'm about 300' elevation and went from the 108, to a 110 jet.
After taking the lid off the airbox and doing valves, I needed my 112 jet.
After adding the exhaust I now need my 115 jet as it was running pretty lean.

I can'tfins anything wrong with the bike, so I'm hoping that as it gains miles, it will open up. Doing 40-50 on a highway is not cool....

I had a small wreck on a dirt trail Friday on it. My knee was a bit.more torn up than the bike.

Bent the shift and brake pedals.
The shift pedal is now replaced with a sturdy hinged one from an old KTM.
The handlebars were bent as well, but I am replacing those this week. I was actually a bit surprised that they bent.
Everything else on the bike made it out fine.

Old 07-28-2016, 06:47 AM   #1379

At ~150 miles I was trying to chase down a bike in front of me and I hit 7860 RPM in 5th. Yes, I have a tell-tale tach which records the highest RPM you have hit. The speedo was bouncing close to 70 at that point, and I'd guess I was going about 65-68 MPH...

Old 07-28-2016, 07:51 AM   #1380

I think weight has a lot to do with the top speed of the TT. One fellow who weighs less than 150 lbs reported 80 + mph. And, maybe they break-in at different rates. Now I have about 500 kilos on and I've noticed changes. A really weird rattle that seemed to happen on decel has stopped and the black splatter that was showing up around the end of my muffler after each ride has stopped too. It's running great. MPG sucks though. I'm figuring about 53 MPG. Thats about what my injected 1100 guzzi was getting. Go figure.