Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Off-Topic/General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-04-2009, 07:52 PM   #31

After the helmet, I'd have to say a Back Protector or a Jacket with real good padding along the spine. A back protector won't save your skin but hopefully it will keep you out of the wheelchair. Then Jacket, Gloves, Boots. Something like that. This is a great topic that promotes safety. Once in a while I get a little lazy with safety until I see a accident or a topic like this gets me thinking again. Thumbs up!

Old 02-04-2009, 08:54 PM   #32

Yep, the spine protection. Even my joe rocket jacket has better spine protection than my leather. After that, I'd say the elbow protection that the jacket offers. If you get the chance to tuck and roll, keeping your elbows intact is nice. :wink:

Old 02-06-2009, 11:54 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceDrake

So! Here's the scenario-- You're 17, ou've just shot your summer's savings on a Bike, and have a 15 year old Belstaff helmet, your grandfather left in the attic. You've got $100 free on your next paycheck. What are you buying? Other than beer and smokes of course...

--Vince who did read the thread about the poor lady's knees.
1. Throw that old lid in the trash and buy a new one...

$27 FLY MX Lid...

Most brands say that a lid should be scrapped after three years.... less depending on how much it's used.

After that? It's all important, but I go with jacket, gloves, boots and pants. Hit some MC sites like advrider to find good deals on used stuff (NOT helmets!).

What size jacket do you wear? I have a waterproof XL that I don't use, PM me about it.

Old 02-07-2009, 08:43 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by knothead
Which boots are you looking at? I've been leaning towards the Moose M-1 ATV boots. A buddy of mine has a pair and he likes them, plus the price looks good to me @ $99.

As for pants... did you follow the link to ADVrider I posted above? Dude's wife went down at less tan 10 mph and ripped her knee wide open, the knee cap was actually exposed.
These boots? -
http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/produc...d=10201&mmyId=

They are the ones I've been looking at. I prefer that type of sole over what's on most other boots, and as you say...the price looks really good. How long has your buddy had them? I'm curious as to how they hold up over time, and how comfortable/uncomfortable they are to walk in. Not hiking, mind you...but just the normal short walks like into a store or maybe a few hundred yards away from the bike every so often.

My Icon boots were not comfortable at first, but they've broken in nicely and are quite comfortable to walk in now. I have spent a good deal of time in hunting boots though...so maybe I just adapt to them easier than most.
2005 Kawasaki EX250 - A new project

Old 02-07-2009, 08:56 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceDrake
Just to expand the thread a little farther still, What does everyone consider the most critical piece of gear to have, not counting a brain container? Myself I would say a jacket, and specifically, a good jacket. No World of Walton, or Sears Roebuck allowed. Third, Gloves. Again, gooders. Beyond that, I'm more than willing to Cheap out/Not have/Leave in closet.

Thinking back to when I first started riding, my first moto-horse cost me about $200, and I thought I was doing good with a 25+ year old Woolco Ping-Pong ball cut out Helmet, and a $25 Generico denim jacket, maybe some work gloves, if it was really, really cold out.

So! Here's the scenario-- You're 17, ou've just shot your summer's savings on a Bike, and have a 15 year old Belstaff helmet, your grandfather left in the attic. You've got $100 free on your next paycheck. What are you buying? Other than beer and smokes of course...

--Vince who did read the thread about the poor lady's knees.
I recently pondered a similar question, only going at it from a different angle. That question was...."if you had to give up one peice of gear, what would it be?". My answer to that is really easy....earplugs. They were the last thing I added to my gear, and I still can't stand them. In fact, yesterday I stopped and pulled them out. I think I'll save them for hiway rides.

As for your question...I think I'd go with a good jacket w/ armor in the elbows, shoulders and over the spine. That seems to cover some of the most important internal organs (aside from the brain).

No, wait. I take that back. If I could only add one bit of gear in addition to the helmet, I'd go with a full one-peice leather suit...

Only having $100 to spend on it means that I'd have to buy used...but I'd have a few extra bucks since I quit smoking in 97 and never have liked beer. In the past I'd spend the beer money on a bottle of Crown, but I haven't done that in several years either. I know I can buy a full textile suit for $150 new, so a used leather suit for $150 might be possible.
2005 Kawasaki EX250 - A new project

Old 02-07-2009, 10:57 PM   #36

That's the boots I was talking about. The guy who has them said they were pretty stiff at first, but broke in well and are pretty comfy for MX boots. He said he wears them all day when working on the farm (alot of walking) and has no trouble. Even after a year he said they remain waterproof too.
I have a pair of Thor 50/50's right now. While they are very comfortable they don't offer enough protection and they soak up water like a sponge... They are good on dry summer days, but when it's wet and/or cold they are awful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedSouth
These boots? -
http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/produc...d=10201&mmyId=

They are the ones I've been looking at. I prefer that type of sole over what's on most other boots, and as you say...the price looks really good. How long has your buddy had them? I'm curious as to how they hold up over time, and how comfortable/uncomfortable they are to walk in. Not hiking, mind you...but just the normal short walks like into a store or maybe a few hundred yards away from the bike every so often.

My Icon boots were not comfortable at first, but they've broken in nicely and are quite comfortable to walk in now. I have spent a good deal of time in hunting boots though...so maybe I just adapt to them easier than most.

Old 02-08-2009, 11:28 AM   #37

Interesting thread.
I only just started riding on the road regularly last year.
I was torn when it came to gear, but came to a solid conclusion on a recent trip abroad.
A quality helmet is a no-brainer (no joke intended), but how far do you take it? Jacket, pants, leathers?
I believe that accidents are unlikely, and individually, quite rare.
It has become very common for people to outfit themselves with all the latest gear. Some for safety, my bet is, most as accessory.
I take my chances, and ride accordingly. I have work boots, a good helmet, and jeans.
I don't drive a Volvo because they are superior from a safety standpoint.
I don't care if my car has air bags, and even drive without my seatbelt, in the country. I don't plan to wipe out.

Old 02-08-2009, 12:16 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by suprf1y
Interesting thread.
I only just started riding on the road regularly last year.
I was torn when it came to gear, but came to a solid conclusion on a recent trip abroad.
A quality helmet is a no-brainer (no joke intended), but how far do you take it? Jacket, pants, leathers?
I believe that accidents are unlikely, and individually, quite rare.
It has become very common for people to outfit themselves with all the latest gear. Some for safety, my bet is, most as accessory.
I take my chances, and ride accordingly. I have work boots, a good helmet, and jeans.
I don't drive a Volvo because they are superior from a safety standpoint.
I don't care if my car has air bags, and even drive without my seatbelt, in the country. I don't plan to wipe out.
This is 1 member's opinion, and in no way represents the opinions or the direction of this site.

I don't plan to wipe out.

This is the most illogical and stupidly dangerous statement I've read on this site. Kudos Sir.

Plan for a wipe out so that you are prepared when it happens. If you haven't wiped out yet, you will if you ride long enough.

my bet is, most as accessory

Gear is not an accessory, it's a philosophy! Sitting in the Hospital with road rash clarifies this point to a fine edge. I know this from experience. Ask red2003 about his wipeout. Ask Ambassador. Safety starts long before you throw a leg over your bike. What you do and how you ride is your own deal. Have at it. But the question was.

You're 17, ou've just shot your summer's savings on a Bike, and have a 15 year old Belstaff helmet, your grandfather left in the attic. You've got $100 free on your next paycheck. What are you buying?

You are telling a 17 year old kid who reads this a year from now that gear is pretty much an untruth, an accessory that he doesn't have to buy into like all his friends.

I only just started riding on the road regularly last year. Finally, something that makes sence.

Old 02-08-2009, 12:43 PM   #39

Please allow me to clarify.
I race motocross. We do dangerous stuff, at high rates of speed. Comparatively, we wear precious little gear.
I get the impression that many of the people you see wearing the newest, best gear are doing so for the wrong reasons, for the image.
I know people like this.
I don't plan to wipe out, and think the odds are in my favour.
I am not suggesting gear is for suckers. If you feel more comfortable with it, then by all means, wear it. I see people riding with full gear, and people in shorts and T shirts. For me, something in the middle makes sense.
I didn't what realize the original question was, as the thread seems to have mutated a bit.
If it were me, I'd toss that 15yr old helmet in the garbage, and buy a new one with the $100.

Old 02-08-2009, 12:51 PM   #40

Quote:
Please allow me to clarify.
I race motocross. We do dangerous stuff, at high rates of speed. Comparatively, we wear precious little gear.
I get the impression that many of the people you see wearing the newest, best gear are doing so for the wrong reasons, for the image.
I know people like this.
I don't plan to wipe out, and think the odds are in my favour.
I am not suggesting gear is for suckers. If you feel more comfortable with it, then by all means, wear it. I see people riding with full gear, and people in shorts and T shirts. For me, something in the middle makes sense.
I didn't what realize the original question was, as the thread seems to have mutated a bit.
If it were me, I'd toss that 15yr old helmet in the garbage, and buy a new one with the $100.
Please allow me to clarify. I don't care if you jump cliffs naked.

How are you getting impressions of the people I see wearing gear?

Old 02-08-2009, 01:11 PM   #41

Quote:
I agree with this statement fully... Helmets and helmet manufacturers say that the helmet materials that absorb the impact in the event of a blow break down over time, seriously lowering the effectiveness of the helmet... Some guy has been listing "VINTAGE" helmets on our local craigslist lately, with price tags of like $120, saying they are perfect for you if you ride an older bike or so on... I think a new helmet is much more perfect....

Dot approved for sure... Snell approval I am not sure, I think it is a good idea, but others argue that there are stats that accidents with snell approved helmets cause more damage.... I'm still out on this one so I will not advise... My helmet is snell approved for what it's worth.

Old 02-08-2009, 01:15 PM   #42

Quote:
How are you getting impressions of the people I see wearing gear?
You live in the GTA, I work in the GTA.
We're seeing the same people :P

Old 02-08-2009, 01:32 PM   #43

I find gear serves 2 purposes, the second of which people new to the motorcycle game (i.e me) are not aware:

1) Safety. A helmet and jacket can be the difference between feeling stupid and a concussion with a skin graft chaser.

2) Comfort. I started riding with a denim jacket, MX gloves, and a DOT MX helmet. The following year I invested in a waterproof/armoured mesh jacket and leather/mesh gauntlets. Huge difference in ride comfort. Huge.

This week I hope to be adding a pair of ATV boots to the mix and maybe a new DS lid.

My motivation for the additional gear was safety but the difference in comfort on the pavement was night and day, particularly in the Spring and Fall.

"The beatings will continue until moral improves"

Old 02-08-2009, 01:43 PM   #44

So you are a vintage club member too? Which club do you ride with mr. fly? Unless you have proper gear you don't ride with me or the people I ride with. I ride with riding instructors. The same guys that will be testing you on you M licence. Unless you have proper gear you don't get to take your M2 test let alone ride your M test. These guys will have nothing to do with you because you already know it all. The instructors wear nice gear. They've been at it longer than you or I. They have upgraded over time. They didn't go out and spend thousands on gear to be cool, they spent hundreds to be safer.

When I ride on Sundays, there is often 1000 years of experience in our group. Their gear ain't about image Mr. Fly. John is 82 years old and has good gear, and absolutely no Image to speak of. On the 401 I see idiots all the time in beany helmets and t-shirts. Good luck to you and the people you ride with. What is obvious is that you do a lot of riding with people I don't talk to. But the several hundred people I've ridden with all wear gear, ( ATTGAT.) or they are shunned till they do. I won't ride with someone not concerned about safety. They are a danger to me and the people I ride with.

Old 02-08-2009, 01:47 PM   #45

Ok, people step away from the keyboard.

Fly is entitled to his opinion, eventhough it may not be shared by others. Let's leave it at that.

Having been to Toronto on several occasions, I think I'd ride in full kevlar. Don Valley Parkway, yikes!

"The beatings will continue until moral improves"