Do you have a tubing bender?
At my shop, not at the house.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

I'm making this up as I go.-Indiana Jones

Telling me something 'is for my own good', is a fast way to a fat lip.-Me

I don't even care about my own problems, why should I care about yours?-Quote on one of my favorite t-shirts

Old 08-19-2012, 02:28 AM   #62

The CX500 looks good, Cheesy!

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 08-19-2012, 01:17 PM   #63

Your luggage rack reminds me of the old Native American philosophy towards making a canoe from a tree. Simply carve away everything that's not a canoe.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 08-19-2012, 05:45 PM   #64

Thanks, Spud. The two week wait I still have before I can register and insure it are going to be long.

WNG-You were the one I had in mind when I took that pic. The tube is zip tied to my old Monark for the ride into work tomorrow. With a bit o' luck, the basic shape will come back home in the big old Wald basket.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

I don't even care about my own problems, why should I care about yours?-Quote on one of my favorite t-shirts

Old 08-20-2012, 11:41 AM   #65

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 08-20-2012, 09:42 PM   #66

Well, crap. One o' my boys at the shop managed to break the tube bender and never said anything to the boss, aka, me. :x Apparently, broken for a couple of weeks, too. :x :x
I'm not big on punishment but this time there was a collective butt ripping with the understanding that should something like this happen again, THERE WILL BE SUSPENSIONS. Ssssiiiiggggghhhh. :? I wasn't totally pissed that I couldn't do my tube but I have tubing jobs starting week after next and I gotta get this antique fixed.

Had to send the MIG out for repairs today, too.:( It's Monday, right.

Anyway, bit o' change of plans. Heat, bend, and braze. All that I can do at home. Won't be pretty, but will be functional. Which is the cheesy way.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

Old 08-21-2012, 01:13 AM   #67

Do you have the budget at work to buy the HF tubing roller? Perhaps it will make a good substitute for awhile. I think I paid $160.00 for mine.

Old 08-21-2012, 01:36 AM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
Do you have the budget at work to buy the HF tubing roller? Perhaps it will make a good substitute for awhile. I think I paid $160.00 for mine.
I have the budget. Getting the OK is another thing. Should have seen the hoops I went through to get a plasma cutter.

The HF unit could end up in my garage, though.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

Old 08-23-2012, 04:28 PM   #69

Basic shape.

3/4" tube, expanded metal, a few other bits, and lot's of brass.

Not pretty, but then again, I don't do pretty. It will have the old Chinabike trunk hiding the ugliness for those who value that sort of thing, though.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

Old 08-23-2012, 04:35 PM   #70

Beauty is as beauty does. :wink:

Old 08-23-2012, 10:45 PM   #71

Get 'er done. Gas welding? Oxy-acetylene?

Old 08-24-2012, 01:19 AM   #72

Oxy, mostly because I'm out of practice.

Secondly, because my Dad is handing his 'I don't know how old' Craftsman oxy-acetylene set to me. I have a Victor set with pony tanks, which is nice for 'around the house' repairs but the full size set means I can do some real damage* to a piece of steel.

*My flame cuts look like a fractal image. :oops:

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

Old 08-24-2012, 10:58 AM   #73

Flame cuts are always nasty. Even plasma cutters have that flame-cut appearance, which is why I gravitate towards free-handing it with a cut-off disc in an angle grinder.

I've decided against a Victor setup on my property, due to insurance reasons. I think that a homeowner could get away with an oxy-propane setup, and it's certainly good enough for silver soldering, etc. I have a cheap oxy-map setup, but haven't tried it yet. I bet it's hotter than blazes.

Expanded metal is a good choice for a rack surface. BTW, if you wish to accomplish a radius in tubing, you can have reasonable success in bending it around a pulley that is chucked in a vise, after unmercifully heating the tube. The pulley size determines the bend radius.

Old 08-25-2012, 07:05 PM   #74

I'll opt for the RA grinder most of the time but if I have a lot to cut I'll break open the plasma cutter. Still cleaner and straighter than a flame cut and still makes sparks.
I was going to do the pulley trick but the pulleys I had were aluminum and for a serpentine belt. So I said the heck with it and just bent.

Here it is sans paint and radiused corners. I have about $7usd in it and never set paper to pencil.

Quick story about my Pony torches. I'm one of three guys in my neighborhood that works with their hands, everyone else is either in finance, upper management or has a bunch of letters after their name and I'm not so sure they know what they do. Anyway, I was replacing my mailbox post with a hunk o' 90lb rail on a Saturday. I got it sunk and set, then realized that it was a heck of a time to have forgotten to weld the plate for mailbox in place. Well, I couldn't reach it with my MIG, so I dragged the pony oxy-actylene unit to the end of the drive and started welding the plate on. After starting my second filet, I smell coffee. I look up and six of my neighbors are watching me weld. 8O I thought they were there to bitch (someone had about my antics in the past, I know who and it wasn't any of these guys) but they just wanted to watch, they'd never seen anyone weld before. By the time I was finished, the coffee became beers and the welding demo became the fence behind Hank Hills house. :wink:

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

Old 08-26-2012, 12:09 PM   #75

That's awesome! What a terrific way to get to know the neighbours. I weld outside all the time, but only one neighbour has shown any interest.