Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-30-2016, 12:17 PM   #1

Thinking of buying Hawk 250 - Questions!

Hello! I am thinking of buying a hawk. I've watched a lot of videos on it and read much on this forum. I just have a few questions!

I am thinking of ordering from apscusa.com, are they ok to order from?

Will it be able to be registered street legal in NY? I've read a lot that people had good luck doing so, but would be pissed if I bought this and then was unable to register!

What's your honest opinion on this bike? Is it a POS? I'm mechanically inclined and don't mind tinkering but I also don't want it breaking down on me in the middle of nowhere. Do you guys think it will last if properly maintained?

Old 12-30-2016, 12:26 PM   #2

I purchased my Hawk from APSCUSA a few months back. I spoke with Don and he had answered all my questions. Believe me I had a lot . So far I love my Hawk. Do the mod suggested here on this site and you will like it even more. The Hawk is a solid built bike. I think these motors are just about bullet proof. I far as I know NY will register and tag for street use. Buy it would be a good idea to ask the DMV before you purchase.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 12-30-2016, 12:29 PM   #3

If I call the DMV, what make and model do I ask them about? Or what other info do I give them?

Old 12-30-2016, 12:33 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomalak007 View Post
If I call the DMV, what make and model do I ask them about? Or what other info do I give them?
Mine is listed as a Haosen HS250Y-A Hawk . APSCUSA will send you a notarized MCO, Bill of Sale and an Odometer Disclosure Statement.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 12-30-2016, 12:40 PM   #5

Quote:
Hello! I am thinking of buying a hawk. I've watched a lot of videos on it and read much on this forum. I just have a few questions!

Will it be able to be registered street legal in NY? I've read a lot that people had good luck doing so, but would be pissed if I bought this and then was unable to register!

What's your honest opinion on this bike? Is it a POS? I'm mechanically inclined and don't mind tinkering but I also don't want it breaking down on me in the middle of nowhere. Do you guys think it will last if properly maintained?
Probably a no go for NY nowadays. I wouldn't purchase one for NY. From the enthusiastic members here, this bike is probably one of the best bargains out there, and would probably most likely NOT strand you at any time (depending on how you beat on it), but NY used to plate these, and then someone had no luck plating their's, and that was the last time I read about NY (I think it was upstate, and if memory serves me, the DMV did register it as an off-road bike).

Member 'SANY' from NY did not order one because of registration uncertainties, and ordered a Bashan Brozz 250 instead. Actually, he ordered a Bashan Storm, and the dealer sent him a Brozz, but that is another tale for another time. Where the Hawk is rough around the edges and needs a few tweaks here and there (as well as a digital dash), the Brozz comes smooth(er) and digital-dash-ier, for a few hundred dollars more. More recently, member 'letsride' bought a leftover 2014 Brozz, and posted about it and how much he loves it. I would steer you in that direction rather than a Hawk--just for the registration uncertainties, although the bonus is the Bashan bikes seem to generally be great bikes, too, like the Hawk, but slightly more expensive. In your case, quoting a famous Seinfeld episode--"No Hawk for you!"

`

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 12-30-2016, 01:02 PM   #6

Just called the DMV in NY, all they seemed to care about was whether it had an MCO and insurance and gettin' their money. I told her it was a chinese bike but she didn't care, as long as it had an engine.

Old 12-30-2016, 02:28 PM   #7

Quote:
Just called the DMV in NY, all they seemed to care about was whether it had an MCO and insurance and gettin' their money. I told her it was a chinese bike but she didn't care, as long as it had an engine.
Ha ha, sounds a little like Mexico. I do some riding in baja from time to time and down there essentially if it rolls it's legal .

Old 12-30-2016, 03:43 PM   #8

Quote:

I don't know where you live in NY state, but from where I live it is less than 70 miles to the state of Vermont. You can even register it by mail, if you so choose. Once it is registered in Vermont as street legal, you can register it in any sate in the union. Except, maybe, California. A codical was signed about 100 years ago to accept any other states registration and title as valid. California may elect to violate this codical, but they better hope that the other states never refuse to recognise California titles as valid.

Old 12-30-2016, 03:46 PM   #9

Quote:
I think you are ok in NY as long as the MCO states "Motorcycle". Not "Dirt bike"

Old 12-30-2016, 07:33 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariel Red Hunter View Post
you can register it in any sate in the union. Except, maybe, California. A codical was signed about 100 years ago to accept any other states registration and title as valid. California may elect to violate this codical, but they better hope that the other states never refuse to recognise California titles as valid.
With California, one has to move from another state, and have had the bike (or [most] any other vehicle) registered for at least 6 months. The loophole they have closed is that one cannot already be in California, and buy a vehicle and have it registered in another state for 6 months, and then bring it in to California and register it in Cal. Again, one has to move to California with their vehicle. You would have to prove you moved from Vermont, in other words (for California, not sure about any other state).

The other loophole is that they will NOT recognize certain vehicles, such as ATVs, or off-road buggies such as Razors like I see buzzing the streets of Yuma, AZ near daily as street legal no matter how long one had it registered.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150

Old 12-30-2016, 07:40 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariel Red Hunter View Post
I think you are ok in NY as long as the MCO states "Motorcycle". Not "Dirt bike"
This is probably the BIG decider...somehow, you will want to make sure the seller states 'Motorcycle' on the MCO. I wonder if Adam Renkleff could make sure the MCO states 'Motorcycle' since the MCO has to be issued after it is sold and the dealer contacts RPS. Contact member Adam Renkleff since he is the sales manager of RPS who distribute the Hawk.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150

Old 12-30-2016, 07:48 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by culcune View Post
This is probably the BIG decider...somehow, you will want to make sure the seller states 'Motorcycle' on the MCO. I wonder if Adam Renkleff could make sure the MCO states 'Motorcycle' since the MCO has to be issued after it is sold and the dealer contacts RPS. Contact member Adam Renkleff since he is the sales manager of RPS who distribute the Hawk.
APSCUSA had my MCO as Motorcycle
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 12-31-2016, 11:01 AM   #13

Sorry I'm late to the party, everyone! Just got back in town from Tuscaloosa, Alabama. Tomalak007, I recently (Halloween day this year, to be exact) picked up a Hawk and I'm unbelievably happy with it. Honestly, if I had known about the Hawks before I bought my big DR, I don't think I would own a DR. I'm seriously that impressed with the bike. There are some great mods out there for these bikes, but definitely start with the engine and performance side of things: Carb retune/replacement; spark plug upgrade; valve adjustments; and sprocket and chain swap. After that, you can decide if you want the digital dash and other goodies. I'm busy fabricating a rack for the tail-end of my Hawk now. Everyone on this forum is a veritable gold mine of information, and I haven't found anyone yet unwilling to help out. The big difference between the Hawk and some of the other bikes out there is that the engine isn't counterbalanced. I don't really notice a difference personally, but it can get a little buzzy at the higher RPM's. Just a thought to consider. Also, speaking with the guys over at CSC would be a good solution to the registration concerns you have. Their bikes are all 50-state legal, but you'll spend a few extra buck for them. On the other hand, the CSC bike already comes with luggage. Keep us posted and let us know how it turns out for you. Happy New Year!!

I was struggling to get my wife's attention; I sat down on the couch and looked comfortable. That did the trick!

My wife says I only have two faults. I don't listen and something else...

If at first you don't succeed, try doing it the way I told you to...

The Stable:
2005 Yamaha V-Star 650 - SOLD
2015 Suzuki DR 650
2015 RPS Hawk 250 - SOLD
2016 Ural Gear Up

Old 12-31-2016, 05:35 PM   #14

Well I ordered the bike! From apscusa.com. They have it on sale for $949 plus shipping. Fingers crossed.

Old 12-31-2016, 07:00 PM   #15

Let us know how they are, post Christmas, as a few members had some problems getting their bikes (I believe some have still not gotten them!) from ordering a week or more ago. Did you make sure they will put 'Motorcycle' on the MCO certificate rather than 'off-road' or 'dirt-bike' (or whatever barrier NY might put up for you)? Now that I think of it, NY might not be as regulated when it comes to registering bikes as neighboring states, such as the strict laws next door in NJ, Penn, or CT.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150