Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Off-Topic/General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-17-2009, 03:32 PM   #1

100 yr old electric car still runs!

From Jay Leno's garage:
Quote:
My Baker Electric dates back nearly 100 years — and it's a late model. By then, the company had been selling electrics for more than a decade. Unlike other early cars, the Baker Electric needed no cranking, had no gasoline smell and was essentially maintenance-free. Not surprisingly, it was marketed to women. The interior of my Baker is rather froufrou, complete with a little makeup kit. Even though it's almost a century old, the car drives totally silently — like any modern electric vehicle. In fact, when I take it up into the hills, I have to be extra careful of deer. They usually just stand there and look in the windows, which makes the Baker my wife Mavis's favorite car
Read Article

Old 01-17-2009, 04:07 PM   #2

That's awesome! Simple, effective, reliable!

Sometimes I wonder if we have spent the last 100 years trying to perfect the un-perfectable...

(Course then, I'd be out a job, so don;t tell anyone, k?)

--Vince

Old 01-19-2009, 09:05 AM   #3

I also read some time ago that the car still has the original batteries too!

Old 01-19-2009, 09:38 AM   #4

Send a message via Yahoo to kmoore
yes he still has the original battries in working conditionbut has installed modern battries and charging system

Old 01-19-2009, 09:52 AM   #5

I wonder how much it weighs compared to a current modern day electric golf cart?

They are supposed to be building the VOLT near my house so I've heard I hope it works out.

As soon as the powers that be can find a way to profit ridiculously from the electric car the electric cars will become very popular(just a hunch).
So we all kow that right now they can make an electric car but the outrageous profit margin just must not be there yet.

The batteries also seem to be a problem as far as getting people to stop and use a charging station.No one will stop for much more than 20 minutes I figure to charge their car if need be.

They should give incentives for people to use electric cars like having a seperate meter at the house just for charging the car/s and at a much lower cost per kil-a-watt.

Old 01-19-2009, 11:37 AM   #6

T/C "The batteries also seem to be a problem as far as getting people to stop and use a charging station.No one will stop for much more than 20 minutes I figure to charge their car if need be.

They should give incentives for people to use electric cars like having a seperate meter at the house just for charging the car/s and at a much lower cost per kil-a-watt.

Batteries are the key. If they don't catch fire, they can only be recharged so many times. Each charge reduces there max. charge they can hold. They are working on refillable batteries, so you add reactive chemicals, to increase overall life because, millions of cars means trillions of batteries, and what do we do with the waste.

IMHO. Most people need a commuter car. 12 miles to the city, and back. Groceries to home. They aren't going 90 MPH. Why do all these cars need highway crash safety standards and the ability to go 120Mph. What the main driving population needs (up here) is a warm 2 seater car that goes 50Mph maximum, but accellerates well from a green light, bulletproof little gas sipping motor, $6000 price tag. Rag top to make it cheaper. India is doing it already. But they can do it for $2500. I think they use a yamaha 750 motor, but don't quote me. It's super at the pump. Smaller parking lots, less emmissions, less consumption. There's a lot of good reasons to get it happening now, instead of waiting around waiting for the perfect battery, or cold fusion.

The worst thing that can happen is for the industry to start shoving sub-standard batteries into SUV frames. If the public gets burnt by electric cars once, chances are that they'll never accept the idea again. Just my opinion.

Old 01-19-2009, 03:02 PM   #7

I'd run an electric car around town if it was feasible.
Right now they are to expensive and the battery costs are still way out there.My hope is that the volt will catch on and once the battery problem is solved they will yank the gas engine out of the volt and just have pure electric.
The VOLT car may work out (I hope so) we'll have to wait and see its kind of cool they are making it right here.
Our next prez needs to help with the battery development to get the ball rolling.IMO

I'm not willing to spend a small fortune to be a guinea pig though.

We have those SMART cars for sale near us and there is just no way I'd blunk down $11K-$14K for a car that small that only gets around 40mpg when I could get a number of bigger cars that will do that and then some and still look like real cars.
Maybe if the SMART cars were $6.5-8K and got close to 75mpg.

I'll be watching to see how this ends up once released price wise but it could very well be my wifes next car.(she's do for a new one)

I like how it is all electric DRIVE and uses the gas engine to generate electricity when needed.
Of course the final price will be the go/no-go for me and right now I'm reading $40k which is way out there.

Old 01-19-2009, 04:40 PM   #8

Quote:
TeamCheap:
Right now they are to expensive and the battery costs are still way out there.
I must agree with you there

The one thing that is bothering me is the car manufacturers are set on selling $20,000 to $40,000 of battery cost per vehicle. Yet I have read of several roll your own conversions running lead acid batteries being set up and running for $500 to $1,500.
The $500 dollar one was made mostly with parts salvaged from an electric forklift, the forklift also had leftover parts that were sold to lower the total cost of the project.
My point being, is the extra money for lithium ion batteries worth the added tens of thousands dollars of cost?
Then I can see each vehicle having its own unique battery so its dealer only or you have to special order one $$$$$$$
I just want a daily commuter that is dirt cheap to run and reliable!
If I want to go on a road trip it would be a gas powered rig for sure.

By the way Baker is still in business just not making cars.
Electric forklift :wink:

Old 01-19-2009, 10:27 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamCheap

I like how it is all electric DRIVE and uses the gas engine to generate electricity when needed.
First I hope all those fancy gagets/gauges will work in -40 C + wind chill after sitting outside all night long...LCD screens work REALLY well when cold....Touch screen ...through frost layers?, How about the condensation after the heat kicks in droplets running down the touch screens ...oh yah you got electric heat elements for warm air???How will that reduce milage on the batt??? Overall fuel burnt per mile operating will go way up, last I checked it was easier to scavenge engine heat than create heat from scratch.
1.6 litre engine , just for electric production??? how come a 16- 20 horse Brigs & Scrap iron can run a 250 amp welding rig...way more power produced than any car could use...Never mind that 25HP could be produced from a 350cc 4 stroke ...must use 1.6L...How about 1Litre even, Snowmobile manufacturers are producing 1L 4strokes with 120 horsepower easily.

I hope they figure something out , but it has to be able to run from Mexico to the Arctic circle while running/operating the same.
'08 Yongjiang 150cc atv (Jinlong)

Old 01-19-2009, 11:31 PM   #10

Yep, but what I meant was that no one is starting small and cheap. I'd do a lead acid conversion before buying someone elses guinea pig too. But it would be very hard to get a home built car legal and on the road here. I don't care if it's electric or gas. #1 item is cost. Tube frame, cloth covering. No safety restraints, but helmet manditory, 50Mph max is all ok by me. $5000 to buy and $15 to fill up, 1/4 normal emmissions. It would need a good heater though. It's something that could be done tomorrow until the proper battery gets invented. It might start to change the image we have of what transportation aught to be.

Old 01-19-2009, 11:40 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronFist
Yep, but what I meant was that no one is starting small and cheap. I'd do a lead acid conversion before buying someone elses guinea pig too. But it would be very hard to get a home built car legal and on the road here. I don't care if it's electric or gas. #1 item is cost. Tube frame, cloth covering. No safety restraints, but helmet manditory, 50Mph max is all ok by me. $5000 to buy and $15 to fill up, 1/4 normal emmissions. It would need a good heater though. It's something that could be done tomorrow until the proper battery gets invented. It might start to change the image we have of what transportation aught to be.
In Arizona, we can get off-road buggies street-legal--this might make a good starting point, at least in mild-weather areas such as AZ. California frowns on several of Arizona's street-legal vehicles (police could confiscate an ATV or buggy even w/AZ street plates), but if they were electric, this might be an easier argument for Ahnold ...

Old 01-20-2009, 12:55 AM   #12

I'm not good with actual dates and numbers, but it seems to me that most of the original manufacturers like diesel, ford, etc. were all against petro fuels, but in the end drilling for naturally formed hydro-carbons were the cheapest form of mobile energy. The US dept. of Energy website has some great links if you dig deep enough. The general consenses is that until oil gets to $200 dollars a barrel or $8.00 to $10.00 dollars a gallon of gas, then other forms of mobile energy are not economicaly feasible. I think it goes something like, Hybrids $5.00 per equal petro BTU's, Electric $8.00 equal BTU's (limited per cap), Biodiesel $7.00 equal BTU, Ethanol $6.50 equal BTU, Hydrogen $12.00 equal BTU.

I support alternative fuels big time, and have been heavily involved for several years, but in all honestly it's hard to beat the ole, drill, refine, seperate, and burn energy. It's kinda like the laws of physics, often challenged, but seldom changed. Until we find a mobile fuel that challenges current economics, or a economy that challenges current mobile fuel, nothing will change. Maybe it's the gloom of alcohol that's talking but sadly that's the way I see it even after sober for several days, hopefully someone will change my views, and while I'll never live in peace, like the charactor Forrest Gump said "one less thing".

Old 01-20-2009, 03:12 AM   #13

We've had an electric car company in quebec for years. They had to export everything they made because they couldn't sell a car without highway crash standards here, even if it couldn't go on the highway. I think they finally got the ok to sell here last year.

culcune:
If it takes going electric to change the idea that we need a vehicle that weighs a ton, then I'm all for it. I'm all for small, cheap, environmental, and dependable. Like I said if my max speed is 50 Mph who cares if it's electric or gas. But if it is gas, then I'd be happy if 1,000,000 commuters all got 300% better gas milage next year here in Toronto. When the right battery comes along, we could all convert our little cars to run on electricity. A little change now equals a big change later. There would still be highway vehicles and trucks, I hear Freightliner is putting out an electric long haul hybred. I think the road laws might be a little more relaxed where you are.

JMHO. But I think it would take USA making a big change for Canada to start thinking along the same lines. I'm sure the new Freightliners won't have a problem here if the testing is done there. But, there's not to many small electric car companies that have the cash to do testing, and even if they had the bucks, chances are that the cars wouldn't meet the standards and we're back to $20,000 cars. But I ride a bike without a seat belt or air bags, and it costs $1200 and doesn't meet crash safety standards and it will do 100Mph. I don't see the logic. If I needed a special licence to buy and drive a $3000 car, and wear a helmet, I would. Taking transit in the winter sucks. I'm sure a lot of people here feel that way.

Old 01-20-2009, 01:37 PM   #14

http://www.cbc.ca/national/blog/vide...k_stalled.html

American built electric tuck, imported sold and registered for use in Canada ....all the while Canadian gov't deny Canadian builders registration on their Canadian designed/built trucks....
'08 Yongjiang 150cc atv (Jinlong)

Old 01-20-2009, 02:49 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by culcune
In Arizona, we can get off-road buggies street-legal--this might make a good starting point, at least in mild-weather areas such as AZ. California frowns on several of Arizona's street-legal vehicles (police could confiscate an ATV or buggy even w/AZ street plates), but if they were electric, this might be an easier argument for Ahnold ...
Any indications of something like this in Arizona?
http://cohvco.org/?p=201
2005 Kawasaki EX250 - A new project