Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Other Brands
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-03-2021, 08:03 PM   #136

Well, that was a face palm.

I got hold of a friend in the UK who has forgotten more about automotive DC than I'll ever know and asked him about the amp gauge always showing a discharge while my clamp on DC meter shows life is good.

First question he asks me; "What make and model alternator?"

Me-"Delco 10 si converted to 6v positive ground."

Jack-"One wire or three?"

Me-"One."

Jack-"Connected just to the battery?"

Me-"Yeah."

Jack-"There's your answer."

Me-"Huh?"

Jack-"There is no physical connection between the ammeter and the alternator, therefore the ammeter will never see a charge. It still shows a discharge because everything else in the system runs through the ammeter. Put in an idiot light or voltmeter and ignore the ammeter."

Me-"Crap."

So, there was never anything wrong with the alternator and I was a doofus.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

I'm making this up as I go.-Indiana Jones

Telling me something 'is for my own good', is a fast way to a fat lip.-Me

I don't even care about my own problems, why should I care about yours?-Quote on one of my favorite t-shirts

Old 04-10-2021, 08:38 PM   #137

Got the new bellcrank on the transmission today. Not too bad of a job though ungodly greasy. It made a difference. Less slop in the lever and it didn't once jump out of low range. I'm guessing Dad was aware of the old bellcrank being worn out. I found that brass had been added to the steel shift rods then filed. I had to use a Vixen file to remove enough brass so the rods fit the new bellcrank.

Also had Mrs. C watch the choke while I pushed the starter button and it does work now. It will need a little fine tuning but at least it functions.

Two things left to do this year on the car. Install a PCV system. This would replace the puke tube and eliminate the excess rust preventive on the underside of the car. Vintage Power Wagons sells a complete kit for the 237/251 engines for about $90. Might have to make a special trip to Iowa in the old broad for it.

Other thing is the radio. I don't know if I lost a cap or a tube. Because there are these things called IPods and Bluetooth speakers, this may be a post retirement project.

It seems like I am finally getting a handle on this.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

I don't even care about my own problems, why should I care about yours?-Quote on one of my favorite t-shirts

Old 04-25-2021, 07:30 PM   #138

Man, she's running good. After I got back from the swap meet, I suggested to Mrs. C that we do a cheeseburger run to Hinckley, IL in the DeSoto. She didn't say no. Back roads all the way there and back. I was telling Mrs. C that this was how it was when I was kid and we'd go to Eau Claire before the Interstate was put in. She said that she never experienced it that way because she grew up in Chicago and went everywhere by bus.

I think she missed out.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

Old 04-25-2021, 09:36 PM   #139

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesy View Post
Because there are these things called IPods and Bluetooth speakers, this may be a post retirement project.

It seems like I am finally getting a handle on this.

And there is always the option of hidden speakers and compact amp that allows you to enjoy said ipod in the car like it is a headunit.
'80 Honda XL185S
'76 Yamaha DT250C dual sport
Baja Wilderness Trail 250
'07 Honda Shadow 750 Areo Trike
'01 Harley Davidson Softail Deuce
Polaris Magnum 425 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyj812 View Post
You can't pin this one on me, my wife is still mad at me. I don't need your wife mad at me too. LOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LZ View Post
Disclaimer: The above post by 2LZ is in no way the view of this site, other members or Bruce's llama. It is the opinion of 2LZ and 2LZ alone. ;-)

Old 07-16-2021, 07:45 PM   #140

Crappity crap crap crap.

Rotating the rear tires on Arpok in the garage this afternoon when I here a "TINK Tink tink". Stop what I'm doing and look around. Don't see anything. Finish up on Arpok. Clean up and start to leave the garage and notice a round mirror head lying under my fat bike. "Hmm, one of the old peep mirrors must have jumped off the shelf."

Just getting ready to lock the door and, "Waitaminute. You don't keep peep mirrors on that shelf." I look over to the DeSoto and that mirror head belongs on the passenger side cowl mirror. "SUNUVA..."

I don't know if I can fix it. The body is pot metal and it looks like what connected the head to the body just rotted away. I've looked for a replacement and all I've found so far is one for a 47 Plymouth. It might fit but I'm not willing to spend $350 to find out. As that mirror was as useless as tits on a boar before it broke, I may concentrate on finding a trim piece to fill that spot.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

Old 07-17-2021, 05:32 PM   #141

That mirror knows who's boss now.

After spending a little time looking at how this puppy was put together, it took maybe ten minutes to figure out how to fix it and about an hour to actually get it done. Would have taken less time if I'd had any 6-32 screws laying about. I ended up taking an old Tilliston carb apart for the screw I needed.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

Old 08-14-2021, 06:32 PM   #142

The DeSoto made me proud today. Got behind a Prius doing 45 in a 55. The DeSoto got pissed, went into passing gear, and was doing 70 when we got past the little turd.

My daughter and son in law were behind us in their Ram 2500. When we got to where we were all headed, my son in law said he didn’t think it could move that fast.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

Old 08-14-2021, 07:27 PM   #143

I amwith your son in law cheesy ,I didn’t think a stupid Prius could go that fast !

Old 08-14-2021, 08:23 PM   #144

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruces View Post
I amwith your son in law cheesy ,I didn’t think a stupid Prius could go that fast !
It's not the Prius, it's the Prius driver. A coworker and I ran a Prius 90 mph for a few hours driving back to SC from Atlanta.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

Old 08-14-2021, 09:04 PM   #145

And my son in law, Jake, was taking pictures of the DeSoto with his IPhone this morning. Even I was impressed with this one.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

Old 09-21-2021, 10:30 PM   #146

Drove the snot out the DeSoto last Friday. 170 mile round trip to Kenosha, WI and back to see my wife's mom and brother. Just too beat up to write about it. AC and cruise have spoilt me.

The ride was mostly uneventful 'cept that the glass part of the passenger side mirror is laying in pieces somewhere along IL 173. I've been looking for a replacement piece of glass, 4.375" diameter. I can find 4" and 5" everywhere, no 4.375". I've got a few inquiries into local glass shops but haven't heard a thing back yet.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

Old 09-22-2021, 07:29 AM   #147

There's a really fantastic glass shop here in Carrollton. If needs must, give me a shout and I'll see if they can make the custom dimension for you. The other option is to buy the 5" round and wet down a belt sander with some water and go to town.

I was struggling to get my wife's attention; I sat down on the couch and looked comfortable. That did the trick!

My wife says I only have two faults. I don't listen and something else...

If at first you don't succeed, try doing it the way I told you to...

The Stable:
2005 Yamaha V-Star 650 - SOLD
2015 Suzuki DR 650
2015 RPS Hawk 250 - SOLD
2016 Ural Gear Up

Old 10-03-2021, 06:33 PM   #148

I gave up on the two local glass shops for the mirror. I had to run up to my old LBS yesterday and decided to give the hole in the wall shop in the old town a shot. I'll have my two mirrors Tuesday for $10.

In other news, I let Jack the Ribber 'splain how the DeSoto's M6 tranny work while I strolled the show grounds.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

Old 03-21-2022, 05:25 PM   #149

So the old broad has been sitting since the end of October. Hopped in, went through the pre-start ritual, cranked the starter for about 15 seconds, and boom, she started. No 'Start Ya Bastard' go juice, no battery on the trickle charger over the winter, not even fingers crossed. Once she warmed up, put the VOM across the battery terminals. 7.49V at 2000 rpm, 6.25V at idle. Pretty happy with that.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

Old 07-03-2022, 06:26 PM   #150

With all this free time I have now, I decided to pull the carb and go through it. The carb was either clean as a whistle or effin disgusting depending on where you looked. I'm kind of surprised it runs as good as it does with what I found. ALL the air horn and base screws, along with all the jets were barely more than hand tight. I've never been inside this carb, so it was either my Dad or someone he had rebuild it for him. And I think I found the cause of the low speed miss in high gear. The shaft for the accelerator pump/butterfly is about worn through. I have another old Carter B&B up in the attic that hopefully has a good shaft on it or I am going to have to get creative with the MIG and the Dremel.

I wish I could figure out how to make the M6 tranny work with something other than the damn Carter B&B. The Holley 1904 would be my first choice if I could make it work.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800