Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-2006, 08:01 AM   #1

towbar mounted motorbike carriers

Has anyone any experience of towbar mounted motorbike carriers, fancy trying ones of these as I could put it in the back of the 4x4 when I ‘m on the bike. I Know to many people who have had their trailers stolen after they have parked up and gone for a ride . So was thinking of one of these and a set of scissor lifts to help get the bike up on to it.

I need a way to transport the bike as I take my son out with me on his mid sized mx (fits in the back of the land cruiser).

Thanks in advance

Shadowred

:idea:

Old 09-06-2006, 10:55 AM   #2

I've looked at them but can't afford nothing at this point. I would like to have one as well. I can fit both of my kids 125's in the back of my F150 with the toolbox I have. My GY won't fit. One of these would be perfect for me one day. There's a guy down the road from me that has one on the back of his Sububrban but I haven't talked to him about it. Maybe beerslayer will chime in as he has a dual bike setup. From his gallery...

http://www.chinariders.net/gallery2/...?g2_itemId=752

Here's the one I would like to purchase when the funds are there. I like it compared to the rail type.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Motor...QQcmdZViewItem

Old 09-06-2006, 11:15 AM   #3

I don't have one but I know a guy who loves this one.

http://motojackrack.com/

It has a built in jack so you just roll the bile over it, some post go up through your pegs and you jack it up and lash it down. I ended up just putting a trough on my tent trailer tongue since it is usually going with me, that works great for me.

Old 09-06-2006, 02:54 PM   #4

those look quite smart, but haven't seen anything like that over here yet, would save me buying a lift.

mind you need to sort out my brake issue, bloody things are locking up again...............

Old 09-07-2006, 09:23 PM   #5

I bought one from www.joehauler.com that will haul two bikes.

There are aluminum ramps that come [priced seperately] with it that work great.

Old 09-07-2006, 09:34 PM   #6

I built my own 2 bike hauler. I have a full size van, and due to how I constructed the hauler, I can haul about 900lbs on it.

Bought or built, the first thing you want to check into the your hitch tongue weight capability. What I can haul, you probably cant.

Remember a 2G load means your bikes apparent weight has doubled. 2G's could be a good pothole or speedbump.

Be careful and check the vehicle, hitch and hauler specs

Old 01-30-2007, 12:29 PM   #7

I got a Tilt-A-Rack about two years ago for the back of my Xtera. I had no problem hauling a Honda 2 stroke dirtbike. I also went and got a friend who broke down on his Bandit 400. The Bandit was pushing the load capacity a bit too much and the bike shifted in transit. No damage to bike or car, but looked scary leaning 30 deg too the rear.

Depending in the height of your hitch it can be a hand full getting a big bike on and off. The 200 cc china bikes should be perfect though.

http://www.discountramps.com/tilting...cycle_rack.htm

P.S. it is a B!!ch to store in the garage. Don't let it fall on the kids!

Old 01-30-2007, 02:53 PM   #8

Now that this subject has been revived, I have a '96 Buick Roadmaster sedan. It has the stock tow package, although I have never attached a hitch, and one was never on it when I bought it used. However, could a full size sedan support one of these? (I don't have a truck, and have no $ to buy one anytime soon, so the Buick is as close to one as I can get right now). I will try the companies who sell them, but if anyone has a friend, or a friend of a friend who uses one on a passenger car, I would be interested to know.

edit

I just found a link above, joehauler, who show a Honda with a scooter, so I guess they are available for cars, but I still want to know if anyone has any experience with them for cars.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 01-30-2007, 05:26 PM   #9

Send a message via AIM to mdsuave13 Send a message via Yahoo to mdsuave13
if your sedan is rated to tow, then sure.. it could tow. I would check with your owners manual/ dealer before doing so, and i'm not sure i've ever seen a 2" reciever on a car before, just those little 1 1/4" recievers.

also, who knows how wind will play into the whole setup with the bike being well taller then the car when strapped down on those haulers.

Old 01-30-2007, 08:44 PM   #10

Culcune, your Buick can mount a class 2,3 or 4 hitch with a carrying capacity of 350lbs You’ll need a class 3 or 4 with 2” receiver (Hidden Hitch Class III/IV : Receiver Hitch part # 82005) will cost around $150.00 new
The single bike carrier will weigh 40-70 lbs and cost $160.00 or more.
Here is a link to the least expensive, lightest rack I know of, http://www.motorcycleramps.com/motorcycle-carrier.htm

Wind should not be a problem, just fully compress the suspension when you strap the bike down. Hard breaking and accelerating put way more stress on the system than wind but using good quality ratchet straps and some care the bike will be on it rock solid.

Rich

Old 01-31-2007, 04:04 AM   #11

Be careful!

I have one on the back of my old Renault, I use it to carry my 100kg trail bike, the UK ones tend to be a bit on the small side. I dont think a Chinese DS will fit (not tried mine yet), my Hongdou is a good 9 inches longer than my off road bike and 30kg heavier. A word of caution, towbars are obviously designed for horizontal loads not vertical loads, the usual trailer down force "nose weight" is about 75kg. So anything much over 100kg is going to put forces in a direction its not designed for. I once carried a 140kg bike for a short distance, even with the air shocks pumped up to max the front of the car was very light.

Jonathan

Old 01-31-2007, 09:05 AM   #12

Didn't mean to hijack the thread, but thanks for the info, and the details Polygon. I will definitely look into one of these for my car. It seems cheaper and safer than a trailer, IMO, plus like someone mentioned, the theft issue.

BTW, czowner, did you get your gaskets, and the newest problem sorted out?

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 03-20-2007, 04:24 PM   #13

Send a message via Yahoo to TheOtherRide
I saw the pics with the carrier in Polygon's gallery & thought these were the cat's @**. My boyfriend apparently hates them. He mentioned more chance of damage to the car, either while loading or because of the extra weight. He has a little trailer that I think is a POS, but he's had good luck with it. I see the carrier & think: no licensing! no flat tires! less parking space! better gas mileage!

Has anyone used one of these carriers a bit more since the last posts? I'd like to hear some real-life experiences. Thanks!

Old 03-20-2007, 07:02 PM   #14

Used mine twice since my last post.

If he dosen't like them, he probably never will. A small trailer is better in some ways. I didn't have storage space for a trailer. I bearly have room for the tilt-a-lift in the corner of the garage.

the drawbacks are; 1 heavy to move and mount alone.

2 hard to get bike on and off alone. (can be done but dificult and risky)

3 some risk of damage to both vehicals. especialy if not used correctly.

4 easy to forget it is on the car and may back into another car.

5 can't use it to haul trash to the dump

Ups; 1 small storage foot print.

2 no registration

3 backing up is easy

4 drive through windows are easy

5 can haul other equipment within reason i.e. bicycles, cooler & BBQ to the big game.

Old 03-20-2007, 07:42 PM   #15

Haven't used one but have been eyeballing 'em as well. I would think that there would be less bouncing for the bike than using a small trailer (a plus) but that you could be blocking the view of your brake lights on your cage (a minus if you get rear-ended and your bike gets squashed).