Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-24-2007, 01:48 PM   #1

Finished prepping the Viva VX200SX many problems. Mods too

Hello all,

I just finished prepping and putting together my new Viva VX200SX. I have some info to add to the prep list and will do so later with pictures.
My bike appears to have a defective starter solenoid, I have no electric start. I checked the switch circuit from the switch trough the clutch safety switch and have continuity at the solenoid wiring harness when I press the starter switch and hold in the clutch. I also have power on the battery side of the solenoid but no voltage on the starter side when I press the switch. This would seem to indicate a bad solenoid unless I am missing something?

I can kick start the bike but the kick start gets caught up in the brake linkage and wont return up. I tried to pull the kicker lever out a little on the shaft but even half way out it still hangs. Anyone know of an after market kicker that will work? Another issue I had was when I tried to grease the swing arm all of the grease came squirting out of the un-welded tread boss. I tired to seal it with epoxy and was able to get about 5 pumps in before the epoxy failed. I think I will try JB weld to see if that will seal better. I hope Family Motors comes trough with parts, I have to strip the bike to get the seat off and I have done so 4 or 5 times already.

Here are some basic cheap modifications to add to the list.
JB Weld the battery box tack welds before the tack welds break.
Split loom the wiring harness to prevent wire chafing.
Replace the steel brake line clamp with a rubber insolated clamp found in the electrical
department at Home depot or any good hardware store.

Best regards,
Ray

Old 03-24-2007, 02:21 PM   #2

Send a message via Yahoo to TheOtherRide
I guess I've lucked out...no problems w/ electric or kickstart. I did figure out yesterday that we missed the grease fitting on the swingarm. I know someone else posted about that. I see you've already replaced the fitting with an angled zerk; we haven't found one the right size yet--today's project!

The split looms sure look a lot better than the bare wires.

Sorry you're having bad luck. Have you tried calling Viva about it yet? I'm curious as to how their customer service/warranty is.

Old 03-24-2007, 02:30 PM   #3

viva is very good about getting parts out to you under warranty, i broke a throttle cable about a month ago it took about 2 weeks for me to get it...not bad considering it had to come all the way across country

Old 03-24-2007, 02:34 PM   #4

looks like youve got some good fixes for your issues......

good luck getting it all sorted out!
2019 Brozz 250

Old 03-24-2007, 03:00 PM   #5

You should call tech support and they can walk you through the solution on your electric start. Randi had to do that with her bike and tech was very helpful.

Old 03-24-2007, 04:02 PM   #6

morespl,
Can you post a few pictures of your bike? I just purchased one identical to it. I'd love to see what it looks like!

Thanks,
Sam

Old 03-24-2007, 08:31 PM   #7

JB Weld is good stuff, but I dont think it will perform in that fashion.

If you have no luck with warranty on the starter sticking, I would bend the brake pedal enough to clear, with the kick starter fully on the starter shaft, bending the end just before the brake clevis.

The e-start should be no huge problem. There should be 4 wires, or 3 wires with the solenoid body grounded. Of the wires, 1 should come from battery positive, the other from the starter motor, and they should be larger wires. The smaller wires should have 1 to ground, and the other to intermittent + from the starter switch. Shouldnt be hard to trace.

Many bikes these days have starter cut-out switches on the kick stand and neutral tranny. Does yours?

Old 03-24-2007, 11:20 PM   #8

Send a message via AIM to msRandi
Have you got the electric starter to work? I had somthing like that on mine. had to add a hot leed to the solenoid.

Old 03-25-2007, 01:53 PM   #9

Hello All,

I will post some more pictures as soon as my camera charges. The kick starter gets caught up on the hydraulic linkage. There really is no way to bend the linkage but a modified kick starter may be a solution. I still have no electric start. I used my DVOM and checked the start switch circuit all the way to the starter solenoid. The circuit closes at the solenoid connector when I press the start switch with the clutch in. I have 12 volt’s on the battery side of the solenoid but 0 volts on the starter side when the switch is pressed. I can only think that this is a bad solenoid unless I am missing something? The switch circuit to the solenoid only has 2 wires (1) yellow green and (1) stripped green they have no voltage but I would think they shouldn’t as it is just a switch? I did get a chance to ride it yesterday by compression starting it. I left a message on Friday with Family Motor sports and was told I would get a call back Monday at 1pm. I realize that this a an inexpensive bike but I am a little less than satisfied with the build quality as I have to run it down a hill to start it. The other thing I noticed was how stiff the rear suspension is. I am 6-2, 205lbs and I can hardly depress it at its softest setting. At least I get to ride my other toy this weekend. My FLHT is slammed, camm’d, extensive head and port work, modded SE carb, hooker headers and dyno tuned. The thing can definitely supply plenty of pucker factor and has scared the poop out of me a time or two. 8O

Regards,
Ray

Old 03-25-2007, 02:08 PM   #10

The shocks loosen up after riding it awhile.

Old 03-25-2007, 02:22 PM   #11

Quote:
Have you got the electric starter to work? I had somthing like that on mine. had to add a hot leed to the solenoid.
What wire did you have to add? Can you tell looking at the photo?

Quote:
The shocks loosen up after riding it awhile
That’s cool, I am a little hesitant to compression starting the bike so I most likely will not ride it much until I can get the electric starter and kick starter fixed. :(

Regards,
Ray

Old 03-25-2007, 04:41 PM   #12

Ok one side of the plug gos to the switch the other is hot when the key is on. there is a black wire on the plug that goes to the rectifier that goes no where. route it to the selinoid. test with a jumper first but this worked for me. but what this does is bypass the nuetral saftey switch. the right fix is to figure whats discconnected at the tranny.
hope some of this helps.
Note; black is hot when the key is on. NOT ground, thats green.

Old 03-25-2007, 05:13 PM   #13

Hi,
Thanks for the help, let me see if I understand this. I disconnect the blck wire in the solenoind connector and connect it to the black wire from the rectifier. This would leave one wire (green) going to the start switch and one wire back connected to the rectifier (black hot when key is on)
Is this correct? see photo...
Thanks again,
Ray

Old 03-25-2007, 06:02 PM   #14

Ok let me try again. To start with there is no wiring diagram for the starter on a Viva. I know I asked the service guy in PA. Email me @ randig1049@aol.com and I will give you my phone #
and I will pull the seat off mine and take some pic's.

Old 03-25-2007, 06:17 PM   #15

You have a volt meter, right? You hear the solenoid click when you hit the start button, right? Your battery is fully charged by you, not "as shipped"?

Verify that 12V+ is available to the solenoid, there should be a larger gauge wire connected from it to the 12V+ terminal of the battery.

Got 12V+ from the battery to the solenoid? If yes, next paragraph, if not, make the proper repairs

Connect to the solenoid terminal that leads to the starter motor, looking for 12V+ when you hit the starter button. Got 12V+ there? Yes, next paragraph. No, bad solenoid.

Move to the other end of the wire, where it connects to the starter motor itself, hit the starter button and see if 12V+ is there. No, bad wire. Yes, could be a bad starter motor, or a misaligned motor brush.