Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-30-2022, 09:26 PM   #1

When is an enduro not an enduro?

Welp, I’m about to take a different kind of adventure with my xPect

In a couple weeks, I’m loading it up into my boat and taking it traveling with my by water.

I don’t think I’ll be doing too much off road riding so it might be time to alter the sprocket ratio to be able to do speeds necessary on fast secondary roads.

I’m thinking of maybe changing tires, but these 50/50 tires are brand new so that seems like a waste of money.

Old 11-30-2022, 09:36 PM   #2

If the tires are like what comes on the TBR7, or what was on the Brozz250 Sport(not Recon), then the handle very well on paved roads. I agree that there's no need to change them.

Old 12-01-2022, 01:52 AM   #3

To answer your question, the answer is...

"When it's a dual purpose bike" or perhaps a road bike.

But the question sounds kind of rhetorical. Bill is right though. Those OEM tires are good road tires. In fact, they are better on the road than knobbies. That is for sure!

What are your current sprocket sizes??

Old 12-01-2022, 07:18 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
To answer your question, the answer is...

"When it's a dual purpose bike" or perhaps a road bike.

But the question sounds kind of rhetorical. Bill is right though. Those OEM tires are good road tires. In fact, they are better on the road than knobbies. That is for sure!

What are your current sprocket sizes??
Yeah. I’m thinking of just keeping the current tires. I am very accustomed to them. They do well on the road and well enough for me off road.

It’s kind of a rhetorical question. Yes. I’m just doing something pretty weird with the bike and I thought it might be interesting to share it with you guys.

I have the stock gearing currently because I was trying to keep the low gear for off-road purposes.

However, over the next year or so, it will be pretty much all road riding. I don’t see doing a lot of off-road riding. Dirt roads would probably be the most woodsy stuff I will do. Near the coast, there just are not many off-road riding places. Usually it’s pretty built up. Also, the lifestyle of traveling on a boat and taking a motorcycle off the boat and getting ashore and all of that stuff is physically demanding. It’s a much harder and more taxing existence. I won’t have so much energy left for off-road riding.

So I’m going to use the bike now for transportation for a while. To allow me to get to things that are not near the shore.

A real dual sport. As in, the use of the bike will change dramatically for the near future into pure road riding.

Old 12-01-2022, 07:25 AM   #5

The OEM tires that you have with the xpect are a knock off of the Pirelli MT60 (Not RS).

They are more than adequate for on road ride, they are not 50/50, they are 60/40. They handle on road much better than off road.
If you want something more on road friendly you could go with an 80/20 or a pure street tire.
The oem tires are not bad once a bit worn out, their weak points rain and braking a bit too hard.

Old 12-01-2022, 09:14 AM   #6

My advice slightly deviates from your inquiry, but comes from experience. Please do your back, butt, and sciatic a HUGE favor and buy one of these:
https://airhawk.net/product/dual-sport-2/
I run my TT250 from my house to my ranch, which is 250 miles round trip. The ride is a kicker. Road speed limits average from 45 - 65 MPH. The Airhawk makes the ride manageable on long trips, and enjoyable on short trips. :-)
2021 CSC TT250 - White (Daughter's) "Gemini"

Old 12-01-2022, 10:06 AM   #7

Be careful on those roads. Tires won't be your biggest risk factor... it will be speeders and impatient drivers. We are at a real disadvantage on these sub-300lb dirt bikes.

I think the best reason to drop a few teeth on the rear is to get the rpm down when you are driving on the highway. Personally, I am not a fan of going faster on a dirt bike, but having a less buzzy, lower rpm for long distances is more enjoyable.

Old 12-01-2022, 12:58 PM   #8

What yaaaaa goin?

Old 12-01-2022, 04:02 PM   #9

Quote:
Be careful on those roads. Tires won't be your biggest risk factor... it will be speeders and impatient drivers. We are at a real disadvantage on these sub-300lb dirt bikes.

I think the best reason to drop a few teeth on the rear is to get the rpm down when you are driving on the highway. Personally, I am not a fan of going faster on a dirt bike, but having a less buzzy, lower rpm for long distances is more enjoyable.
Yeah. That’s all true. But I also have to keep the weight down. I can’t have a heavy bike.

It’s not that I want to go any faster. But I have to keep up with 65 mile an hour traffic. And I can only do 55 miles an hour now.

Unless I wind it out like crazy. But I don’t do that.

Old 12-01-2022, 04:18 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunnicutt View Post
My advice slightly deviates from your inquiry, but comes from experience. Please do your back, butt, and sciatic a HUGE favor and buy one of these:
https://airhawk.net/product/dual-sport-2/
I run my TT250 from my house to my ranch, which is 250 miles round trip. The ride is a kicker. Road speed limits average from 45 - 65 MPH. The Airhawk makes the ride manageable on long trips, and enjoyable on short trips. :-)
That does sound pretty nice actually. Very luxurious.

I don’t really have much trouble with longer rides on my bike other than my leg falling asleep from sitting in the seat. More like circulation issues. But that seat cover looks really nice.

Old 12-01-2022, 04:23 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy View Post
Yeah. That’s all true. But I also have to keep the weight down. I can’t have a heavy bike.

It’s not that I want to go any faster. But I have to keep up with 65 mile an hour traffic. And I can only do 55 miles an hour now.

Unless I wind it out like crazy. But I don’t do that.
Exactly. You will need to drop a few teeth to keep up while reducing the buzzy high rpms!

Old 12-01-2022, 07:26 PM   #12

Quote:
Exactly. You will need to drop a few teeth to keep up while reducing the buzzy high rpms!
Yup. And I see this as much better than a scooter. Somehow it weighs less too.

The only lighter bikes are KTM dirt bikes and Groms.

Old 12-31-2022, 10:58 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy View Post
Welp, I’m about to take a different kind of adventure with my xPect

In a couple weeks, I’m loading it up into my boat and taking it traveling with my by water.

I don’t think I’ll be doing too much off road riding so it might be time to alter the sprocket ratio to be able to do speeds necessary on fast secondary roads.

I’m thinking of maybe changing tires, but these 50/50 tires are brand new so that seems like a waste of money.
Pictures