Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-19-2023, 06:40 AM   #1

reliable CDI suggestion for zong 169FMM

my experimental bike it's an honda XL200R (heavy modified) with a new 223cc zong 169FMM in it; i fitted a complete (cheap) wiring from aliexpress that works well but i do not trust so much the CDI that came with it.. so i want to buy a good (enough) AC CDI, from aliexpress (being in italy the honda CRF230 aftermarket CDI available in the US are too much expensive for me)

i'm not after "performance" items.. just a good CDI to trust on it for many miles.. any suggestion and experience it's greatly appreciated!

Old 04-20-2023, 09:11 AM   #2

If you want a good oem CDI that performs as it should. Look for a CDI for that engine made by Lihua. Lihua makes way too many parts for motorcycles that are made by japanese mfg in China plus it's used in many "premium" Chinese motorcycles

Old 04-21-2023, 02:41 AM   #3

thankyou for your input; unfortunatelly looks like lihua is not so ready available from this side of the planet, though

Old 04-29-2023, 11:03 AM   #4

another issue that i had with electrics is that the solenoid failed after few startings; i replaced with a new one but my fear is that something wrong in my cheap complete electric loom killed it and can kill fast the new one.. the negative wire on the battery already melted the insulation

Old 04-29-2023, 05:51 PM   #5

I am well versed in the failings of the cheap loom kit...

China Engines, OK..

China Electrics, terrible..

I had to replace the main 12v feed and Ground wire with insulated auto grade twin core to salvage the lack of quality.

Had to replace starter solenoid...

Faulty new CDI...

Crap fuse and holder replaced...

So the basic take away is be prepared for a failure with anything electrical form dragon country.

Old 04-29-2023, 06:25 PM   #6

Thats too bad,thats why I would never buy from places like aliexpress. You get what you pay for.Junk and they don't care. A honda one is what I will use if I ever need one.

Old 04-29-2023, 06:50 PM   #7

actually the entire replacement wiring and switch gear was purchased from ebay.
yes it was cheap...

But if spending 5-10x is worth a certain amount a reassurance, the that's a personal justification.

There is a certain amount of buyer protection from Ebay and even Aliexpress to a lesser degree...

But sellers who are trying to make a successful business and not trying to scam will usually compensate and quality issues to maintain a good store reputation.
It's up to the buyer to accept and test received goods.

But a lot of items is see from Box Stores are just the same items with middle management mark up prices...

Old 04-30-2023, 03:23 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by XLsior View Post
I am well versed in the failings of the cheap loom kit...

China Engines, OK..

China Electrics, terrible..

I had to replace the main 12v feed and Ground wire with insulated auto grade twin core to salvage the lack of quality.

Had to replace starter solenoid...

Faulty new CDI...

Crap fuse and holder replaced...

So the basic take away is be prepared for a failure with anything electrical form dragon country.
so i feel more confortable now that i see that these are common issues..in my case the CDI seems to work fine (but i think that it does not retard ignition at low rpm, so the starter motor it's forced to make hard work on starting)
after few startings, the negative battery wire (the thin one, not the fat the goes to the frame contact) melted..the solenoid was gone bad, so i replaced with a new one purchased at local autopart store (they sayed me it's for a KYMCO scooter).. will also remake the negative loom with fatter wires

i also will buy (from aliexpress) a 10 bucks circa (so rather expensive!) AC CDI, hoping that will be a "retard at low rpm" unit

any experience and suggestion to make a reliable electrics setup is welcome!

Last edited by ghostdancing; 04-30-2023 at 05:40 AM.