Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-09-2021, 02:08 AM   #1

New Member w/Maxfine MXF 150 4n

Hi all! New member here, thought a quick intro was in order. I'm in my 6th decade with 5 of them riding. I've lived in Spokane WA for the last 35+ years.

Okay, intro aside, I recently bought this Maxfine for $150 off of fb Marketplace for $150. Seller had purchased it at a garage sale 2 years ago in its current condition, w/no title. He said it would fire up if gas were introduced into the carb. Gas cap is locked and of course there were no keys. Ignition switch is still there, but the lock cylinder is missing. I was originally going to strip the front wheel, forks & controls for a Honda CB 400T dual sport project.

After closer inspection, I decided to resurrect it, since the motor was clean without the usual seepage between the cyl. head & cylinder or accumulated grime usually found on thrashed out trail bikes. Also, the Odometer only shows 79.4 miles and is functional. I checked the oil and it appears new, still viscous and honey colored. To ensure it's not stolen, I ran the vin# through the NICB database and another db as well and it's never been reported stolen or had an insurance claim filed on it.

THE GOOD:Appears to be very low mileage with excellent compression. All electronics appear functional. I was able to test this by hooking up a 12v Li-ion jump start battery to it and testing the starter, blinkers, headlight (taillight assy. broken, needs to be replaced) volt meter, horn & gear position indicator). Frame & forks are straight & brakes are functional.

THE BAD:Gas cap is locked. A screwdriver will turn the lock cylinder from 12 o'clock position to about the 4 o'clock position, but cap won't release. Any ideas on how to unlock short of drilling out the cylinder, which I'll do as a last resort. Next, due to the length of time this bike sat, I pulled the carb to clean out the inevitable varnish. It appears to be a poorly made copy of a fairly common KeiHin carb found on any number of small displacement Jap bikes. The casting is rough, the needle doesn't appear to be adjustable and the choke linkage on mine is damaged, but can still be operated by hand without the cable. I saw on VMC parts catalog a Mikuni upgrade carb for about $50. Does any one have experience with this carb and is it worth the $$$?

The rest is all cosmetic and maintenance stuff, new rear tube, rim strip and a new rim strip for the front wheel (If you look closely at the left side pic, you can see an end of the old rim strip sicking out from the bead on the front tire),and plastic body panels, which I won't replace, since I can fab up a pair of triangular panels for the sides.

Any input & tips, as well as experiences with this machine or its other branded siblings will be appreciated. This one does have the SOHC Honda CB125 engine clone made by the Loncin factory.

Thanx in advance. I'll upload pics shortly. Must resize as they're currently too large.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Maxfine 150 L side before resize.jpg (69.2 KB, 402 views)
File Type: jpg Maxfine 150 R side before resize.jpg (126.3 KB, 505 views)
File Type: jpg Odometer detail resize.jpg (59.5 KB, 330 views)

Old 06-09-2021, 05:19 AM   #2

Chinese bike's old school odometer is in kilometer (1 km is about 5/8 mile).

Old 06-09-2021, 11:11 AM   #3

Looks a lot like my Xgjao 150.

I use a PZ27 carb $19 on amazon https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I forget what size jets I'm running. But do get a set. $11 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PQ6K84T/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Old 06-09-2021, 11:17 AM   #4

I found the jet information: "The PZ27 is working well on the 150 with the 105 main jet and the 42 pilot. I also have a foam air filter on it. I have the needle set at the third spot from the bottom."

Old 06-09-2021, 12:26 PM   #5

Wisemanimal, WELCOME! Nice example of those 150's I used to see all the time...seem to have disappeared though...lol. Why in the world didn't the rest of 'China Bike' manufacturers follow this primo example of an American import...Speedometer in Miles Per Hour, a Voltmeter, Tach and gear-shift indicator! WOW...good find!

Old 06-09-2021, 12:31 PM   #6

Drill that cap and replace it with something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Ghost-thorn-Y...%2C222&sr=8-10
or this
https://www.amazon.com/Cover-Filler-..._t2_B08CC21T26
And if you can make something like this work...here is an ignition switch with cap.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B085RS5HDP...NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Last edited by stewbrash; 06-09-2021 at 01:55 PM.

Old 06-09-2021, 02:09 PM   #7

I'm not super crazy about the graphics, but I like the clean gas tank without the pieces of plastic bolted to it like most of the 250cc dual sports have.

Good find!
Mods so far- Brozz swingarm, 21" front rim (Bridgestone Tw302 rear/Dunlop D606 front tires), Digital gauge cluster, pz30b pumper carb, after market hand guards, aftermarket brake and clutch levers, round fold away mirrors, Fly handlebars shortened slightly, 13t front sprocket
2009 Q-link Legacy 250
1982 Suzuki GS1100ES - "Jolene"

Old 06-09-2021, 04:45 PM   #8

I agree on the "flame" graphics and they'll be going away soon, and then I'll paint the tank & headlight cowl Satin black. I can fab a cover for the battery holder and some plain black triangular side panels.

Old 06-09-2021, 05:07 PM   #9

Thanx for the carb info. I pulled the 24 mm carb off to clean the inevitable varnish, of which everything was coated. The choke cable was missing and the linkage is damaged, so I'd already decided to replace the carb with the PZ27 and already bought a 2 stage foam filter. The jetting info will be helpful, since I live at 2500' elevation and will be riding between that and about 4000'. What altitude is it where you ride?

Old 06-09-2021, 06:58 PM   #10

Is that the original paint scheme sure looks like it? I would keep that and call it "original chinese". Got a funk about it I like.

Old 06-10-2021, 02:24 AM   #11

Those are the original graphics & paint. I could live with red tank & fenders, but those cheezy flame graphics have gotta' go! I'd also like to put a low mount front fender on it, since the majority of use will be on the street (once registered). I'm thinking Satin black on the tank & fenders w/red racing stripes. I found this pic online of a MF 150 in its original "funk". Lol!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Maxfine 150.jpg (68.8 KB, 314 views)

Last edited by Wisemanimal; 06-10-2021 at 02:32 AM. Reason: pic attachment