Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2020, 07:12 PM   #1

Head Scratching 250cc commando atv NO SPARK!?

Hey all, I have a 250cc liquid cooled atv with no spark. I checked the ground at the coil and it's fine. There are 2 other wires that are connected to the coil.

I believe this atv has a DC CDI. It is double the size of the AC cdi boxes I've seen. It has a blue 6 pin connector housing with 5 leads inside. It does not have 2 separate connectors the the AC ones it just has one big blue plastic connector.

I believe the Stator and the CDI are working fine based on the voltage I pick up at the two wires supplying the ignition coil.

Here are the readings I found on the two wires supplying the coil:

- Black & red wire, Contant 12.95v DC as soon as I turn the ignition on

- Black & white wire, 0.12 - 0.23v randomly AC while I'm turning the engine over ( it seems like this is a pulse wire to tell the coil when to fire.)

Since I thought these readings were correct (at least I think but please correct me if there's something wrong) I moved on to measure the ignition coil resistance.

- Resistance between the 2 hook ups on the coil for DC & AC wires: 4.2 Ohms

Resistance from either the hook up (didn't seem to matter which one) to the spark plug boot: 20.2 K Ohms.

I thought these were within reason as well. But the ATV still will not spark.

I appreciate any help, I've been fiddling with this atv for 3 weekends now and I just want to get back on the trails.

Regards, Jack
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1595113812500496610343031783938.jpg (88.2 KB, 200 views)

Old 07-18-2020, 07:30 PM   #2

no spark

check your kill switches... first... see cdi pics for ground... if you have a dc cdi... then the key just shuts the power off to not let the dc cdi power up... so check the cdi first.. lots of youtube videos for this... and google image for the cdi of your choice.. dc .. ac..

Old 07-19-2020, 03:59 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLASHLIGHTBOY View Post
... so check the cdi first.. lots of youtube videos for this... and google image for the cdi of your choice.. dc ...
https://theauctioncompany.auctionser...%2F%3Fpage%3D8 said it's a Qianjiang (LAW)
which Keeway ATV250 had a similar CDI https://www.mcservice.se/produkter/k...1n0gt000/4174/ the shop manual: https://www.manualslib.com/products/...0-9002268.html

Tags
chinese atv, electrical, no spark, problems