Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-15-2015, 12:28 AM   #1

Head Scratching 2011 Youth TaoTao ATA125-D Issues

I'm attempting to get this ATV working/running. It has the Forward/Neutral/Reverse shifter, and has been sitting in my garage for the last few years dead with multiple problems (due to battery and gunked up carburetor). I'm trying to get it to work by purchasing new replacement parts and learning on-the-fly mechanics (thru forums and youtube). So far, what I've done is, replaced the carburetor and filter, replaced fuel lines and filters, cleaned up the gas tank, drained and replaced the oil (15w-40), replaced the spark plug (NGK, and gets blue spark), replaced the battery and other tweaks (i.e. chain tension, tire alignment).

Following what I see of a common issue, I had opened the wrong cap, and put oil in it. I took off the side, and cleaned it up...then putting in oil on the correct side (after draining of course).

So...got the ATV started. I believe that I tuned the idling, but not sure about the mixture valve (the screw under the idle screw on the carburetor)...to leave it or turn it clockwise/counter-clockwise...not sure what I'm listening for?

Anyways, first issue...I can smell something, and see smoke (very little and light, more clear than white). It's coming from the front of the engine...in layman terms - the small block in front of where the carburetor is screwed into. Pardon my lack of terminology (among other things). I still need to check the oil dipstick to make sure that I didn't put too much into it, but....if anyone has any ideas if it could be something else?? I can't remember how the engine sounded before, but it seems to run a little rougher.

The second issue that I'm running into is that, when I shift from Neutral to Forward (or Reverse) - the ATV goes right into motion. I actually have to hold down the brakes to shift or else it will start moving without even pressing the gas lever. If I'm on a slight incline, and move the shifter from Neutral to Forward - the ATV will stay in the one spot (without gas'ing it), but can feel it trying to go forward. Hitting the gas just makes it even faster, of course. What do I need to check or fix?

I apologize for this being so long. I'm VERY new at this, not mechanically-inclined (yet), and desperately need some guidance. I really appreciate anyone's help (thank you upfront).

Old 08-15-2015, 06:37 AM   #2

Photos photos photos.

I did a little research and you have the Honda 110cc horizontal clone engine fully automatic.

You accidentally put oil in the flywheel view port hole. Not a problem just clean it all out.

When you put it in gear it should try to move forward, you need to hold the brake until ready to go, this is normal. If it seems like it is trying to move forward with too much power then your idle is set too high. Idle should be 1300-1500rpm when in neutral .

The smoke coming from the front of the engine. 1 Oil burning off from where you put it in the wrong hole. 2 Exhaust manifold leak. 3 Oil spilt on the front of the motor or motor just dirty from sitting for a long period of time. When cold, start the engine and immediately put your hand down by the exhaust manifold and feel and listen for a leak (dont get burned). If you find a leak first try tightening the two manifold bolts. If that doesn't stop an exhaust leak then you need to purchase a new exhaust manifold gasket. They cost like .35 cents on Ebay.

Your transmission is fully automatic, there is no adjustment. (i have the same motor in my scooter)

Running rough is either your new carb is not adjusted correctly or you have an air leak from installing the new carb. Make sure you used all the correct gaskets for your new carb. Should be a rubber O-ring gasket at the carb/manifold pipe connection and it needs to be installed in the correct direction and a paper gasket at the manifold pipe engine connection. There are 100's of YouTube videos on how to correctly adjust the carb. It can be tricky but now is the perfect time to learn. You also need to watch some videos on how to check your spark plug for running too rich or too lean.

I think you almost have it figured out, sounds like you have done all the right things. You just need a little fine tuning now.

Forgot to mention you need to check/adjust your valves. Relatively easy just watch all the YouTube videos.

/

Last edited by Adjuster; 08-15-2015 at 02:57 PM.

Tags
125, ata-125, chinese, tao, taotao