Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Off-Topic/General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-25-2023, 06:47 AM   #1

Cqr250

Hello guys,

I'm planning to buy a CQR250 in China. It is powered by a CG250 type engine with cam chain, a PZ30 carburetor, and uses Honda based CDI and voltage regulator. It also has a USD adjustable fork. I can get it for 680 usd directly in China plus maybe 200 bucks of shipping fees.

Here is the picture of the motorbike :

My questions are : Is it worth paying 40 bucks more to get a Zongshen engine instead of a Saimo ? And does anyone has one on this forum ? How about quality, problems, etc ?

I'm also hesitating with what I think is the local version of the HAWK 250 that is sold here for a bit less than 500 bucks :

Please let me know if you know anything about the CQR250.

Thanks,
Antoine

Old 11-25-2023, 08:06 PM   #2

Looks like a hawk to me

Old 11-25-2023, 09:05 PM   #3

The bike in the first pic, I see USD forks, not the bikes in the second picture. They do seem to be Hawks with some minor differences...rotors...rear brake plunger thingie. Those are the ones I noticed so far.

You can NOT go wrong with a Hawk 250 for less then $500. Hell, buy 3 of them!

"If there were more bloody noses, there would be less wars." - Hagbard Celine

"Someday, after mastering the waves, the winds, the tides and gravity, we shall harness for God the energies of love and then, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire." - Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Old 11-26-2023, 04:42 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdano711 View Post
The bike in the first pic, I see USD forks, not the bikes in the second picture. They do seem to be Hawks with some minor differences...rotors...rear brake plunger thingie. Those are the ones I noticed so far.

You can NOT go wrong with a Hawk 250 for less then $500. Hell, buy 3 of them!

500$ seems to be the factory price in China, excluding shipping to Cambodia where I live, without the registration price, so it might cost me a bit more than a thousand in final.

The CQR isn't a hawk, it has a 250cc engine with camchain (Made by Saimo or Zongshen, and there is even a version with a 4 valves liquid cooled engine), not counterbalanced (so it might produce a few more HP), a different frame, different fork, different seat, has a linkage system under the shock absorber... It share a few features but we can't say it is the same bike.

I'm interested into this HAWK250, it seems to be based on the Honda XR 150 (Made in China by Sundiro BTW) but with a bigger engine and a rear disc brake. It looks comfortable.

For me it's pretty easy to order stuff directly China (from Taobao.com), and I noticed parts for both bikes are DIRT CHEAP.

According to your experience, what are the mines points of the Hawk 250 ?

Last edited by Antou1; 11-26-2023 at 04:47 AM. Reason: Adding more informations and pictures

Old 11-26-2023, 07:40 AM   #5

The CQR 250 is an Enduro and the Hawk is a dual sport. Hawk has a little more rake than the CQR (steering angle, degrees), so steering is more relaxed. But CQR has stiffer front end with beefy triple tree holding those forks. This, combined with steeper rake will be much more nimble and competent in rough road conditions and while playing off road. CQR will make up to 5 more horsepower. The seat on the CQR will be taller, but it is a flatter seat which allows you to move forward or back depending on conditions. You are planted on the Hawk farther forward wrt the foot pegs and held there by the pocket in the more comfortable seat.

CQR looks great. You may find a 300cc version, making more than 25hp with similar ride characteristics. That is what I would get if I could. It would cost at least $1000 more, but twice the overall performance in all conditions!!

Last edited by Thumper; 11-26-2023 at 06:02 PM.

Old 11-26-2023, 08:06 AM   #6

Ignore the word "Enduro" on the red SRX tank or upper plastic. That is not really an Enduro. It is more of a dual sport frame (and seat), and doesn't have the stiffer front forks and triple tree clamps that you usually find on an Enduro.

ALSO, look closely at the swingarm. The SRX has a lighter box style construction with a loose plate on the back for chain tensioning (rear axel positioning). This is common on bikes like Raven, Hawk, Storm (I own a Storm). The solid slot style with adjustment in FRONT of the axel is much tougher and easier to work with. You will find that type of swingarm on bikes like the Lifan KPR 250, Templars, etc

Last edited by Thumper; 12-01-2023 at 10:44 AM.