Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Off-Topic/General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-14-2009, 08:28 AM   #1

I hope it happens (a move for us)IT HAPPENED finally

Well with the way things are around here real estate has become dirt cheap and we have found a decent sized parcel of land for next to nothing.

It is only 132x338 but a far cry larger than the postage stamp we are on now(40x136)

It is a scary move right now with my wife not working but we have to go for it and we are really hoping to get it.
No mortgage just a cash purchase then we'd have to try and sell our current home or rent it or just wave it bye-bye :oops: .

There is a house that comes along with the land but it is in need of repair (who'd figure at the low price of $14k :roll: ) and no garage but that just means we can fix it up the way we want and I can build the biggest garage I can (hoping for a 30x40-45 in 2-3 years(cash & codes being the decider))

Right now I hate the house we are in yes yes it is still home but it rubs me the wrong way like rubbing a pets fur backwards does to a pet.
Right now I have to deal with moving cars around to get in and out of a cramped yard and we have been here for so long its time for a change.
The other place is a little smaller than a football field but large enough to putt around on our toys and test them and have a little fun.
(I'll try not to tick off the neighbors)

I was telling the guys at work if I get it I might just be seen running around the yard like Julie Andrews in the movie "the sound of music"..............
ok I doubt I'd go that far but I will be smiling from ear to ear.

If it all goes thru I'll post pics of the rundown house(and property) that I'll have to fix up (but its worth it to me)

Old 02-14-2009, 09:33 AM   #2

Sounds like a big project, but a great opportunity.
Good luck.

Old 02-14-2009, 01:13 PM   #3

Sounds like a good deal, good luck.... I was sort of hoping the economy would do that to our realestate but it hasn't really dropped prices much here :S I bought a house in Saskatchewan around that price a couple years ago, but I decided not to move half way across the country so I sold it and used that plus other savings as a down payment on an apartment, now I have a mortgage :(

Anyways, good luck, and hopefully you have lots of fun with your toys there too.

Old 02-14-2009, 03:02 PM   #4

Its a good enough deal for us as we live close to the house and can run over there and work on it easily.

We were told another couple offered the asking price but they were in another state and when they came to see it realized that it wasnt close to move in ready condition.

It is in a neighboring city that has better police and other services.

The waiting for all the stuff to come together is killing us.We made an offer and the bank countered and we met them half way but we havnt heard back yet on our last offer.

There are other properties but this one is very close to what we are looking for all around.

Old 02-14-2009, 03:08 PM   #5

Good luck

Old 02-14-2009, 05:38 PM   #6

You're making the right move -- baby steps first, then giant leaps.

Luke, 11: 21

Old 02-14-2009, 06:41 PM   #7

Sounds like a smart move. My wife and i bought a place like that back in the mid 90's. Place was a dump, dead animals, garbage, old furniture, i worked on it a week before i would let my wife even look inside. Took about 6 months working nights and weekend before we moved in. Sold the place 4 years ago and bought a bigger place w/ mortgage payment and $6500 year taxes. Sure do miss the old place, no mortgage payment, low taxes....aah the good old days.

I have some picture if your interested.

Old 02-14-2009, 07:22 PM   #8

Wow TC that sounds really cool, I hope everything works out and ya get your new place!!
$14,000 I must live on the side of the world, here you couldn't dream of finding a lot with a building for less than $40,000.
Good Luck!!!

Old 02-14-2009, 07:28 PM   #9

You know we are picture hounds here.

This house is fairly cleaned up since there is a property management company looking after it so we were told and since the pile of garbage that was in the driveway 8 months ago is gone I believe them.
No heat in it so all the drywall has cracks in it from the extreme cold.

The one bad thing about that house is no dsl and I hate comcast so I might just be doing dialup for a while.

This weekend is going to be a long weekend waiting until next week to hear whats going on with it plus I got a flu bug or something YUCK.

Old 02-14-2009, 10:16 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamCheap
You know we are picture hounds here.
The before pictures are pre-digital. Added the garage and the steep pitch one story addition.

Old 02-14-2009, 10:32 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUG

Norman Bates.. "Mother, she's just a stranger. She's hungry, and it's raining out! "

Mother Bates...." "Mother, she's just a stranger"! As if men don't desire strangers! As if... ohh, I refuse to speak of disgusting things, because they disgust me! You understand, boy? Go on, go tell her she'll not be appeasing her ugly appetite with MY food... or my son! Or do I have tell her because you don't have the guts! Huh, boy? You have the guts, boy?"

Old 02-15-2009, 02:41 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan-Dad
Wow TC that sounds really cool, I hope everything works out and ya get your new place!!
$14,000 I must live on the side of the world, here you couldn't dream of finding a lot with a building for less than $40,000.
Good Luck!!!
Here you couldn't dream of finding a lot with a house for less then $350,000 (this is the bottom end). A mobile home, no lot, paying pad rentals, you may be able to swing for $40,000, an apartment I would say at least $98,000 but that is older, smaller, crappier ones...

Old 02-15-2009, 05:51 AM   #13

OMG Bug that was in rough shape but a very nice rescue.(thanks for the pictures)

Jim normally in that city you wouldnt find a house for less than $100k and it would be on a small lot on a slab empty lots would go for $35k and up.With the economy the way it is around here most anything is findable.

The house we are looking at is actually in much better condition than that one so I have hope thanks its not as big as that one you saved but it will do for us.

We have a few pics of the outside but I havnt put them on my computer yet.
We are supposed to go over there monday with some friends and go thru it so they can see it and I want to take a few more pictures.

Old 02-15-2009, 07:15 AM   #14

I know there's another world besides the one I live in, but $6,500 a year in TAXES ? ? ? ? ?

I don't guess it would do for me to travel too far out of East Tennessee.

I have a moderately nice little 2,000 sq ft brick and my taxes are a little less than $400 a year, and I am thinking vile and unspeakable thoughts about what I would like to do to the tax assessor.

In today's depressed housing economy, my house and .8 acre lot would likely sell for around $150K, but I'm not planning on selling, 'cause I gotta have someplace to live, and I like it here, so I guess they'll carry me out, one of these days . . .

Luke, 11: 21

Old 02-15-2009, 07:44 AM   #15

The taxes on that house we want when everything is going normal around here is right around.......................$2k OUCH

but that is about the same as our current postage stamp home and we have lost 2/3rds of our police and crime is rampant for some reason(DUH).

I just want the bigger yard and to NOT have to see the hookers walking down the road.