Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Off-Topic/General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-23-2009, 10:51 PM   #16

I was thinking that toyota must have been in terrible condition to get 5mpg. The IH I drove with a NA 7.3 diesel loaded did about 8mpg. Now the 460 ford got about 7mpg.

I really think I will see a good improvement with the tires inflated. I would have a bed cover, but its alot of hassle to remove it to haul stuff.

If I can get it to 30mpg I will be happy.

Allen

Old 06-24-2009, 03:18 AM   #17

My dad owned a mid 80's 4cyl Ranger..think it was an '86. It got crap for gas mileage, he still bitches about it today! Was the last Ford he's ever owned and that is all he drove before that. Could have been a Monday morning build, as he was constantly fixing something on it. I was only just a kid when he had it but I still remember that thing farting and puking in the driveway on him!

Now he has his '94 Half Ton Chev with 400,000km on it and won't get rid of it...

If you get 30MPG out of that Ranger do share and I'll send you a big THUMBS up Mr. Green.

Old 06-24-2009, 11:49 AM   #18

We will see. I think I can get it to 25 for sure.

Allen

Old 06-25-2009, 06:23 PM   #19

Cal. Got the IAC it didn't help. Actually it idles at 1500rpm now.

My temp guages stays pretty cool all the time. I am thinking that the ECT might be faulty.

Allen

Old 06-25-2009, 07:15 PM   #20

Is the "check engine" light on?
Have you tried a code reader? Are there any codes pending?

If there are no codes showing/pending (because you must remember that auto manufacturers have attempted to make their vehicles "idiot proof", it's far cheaper to charge the customer for electronic mumbo jumbo, than train mechanics) you must step into the basics. Thermostats in Ford trucks (Rangers) seem to last only a year, or two, replace your thermostat with one of the proper temperature (this is the first step, and the cheapest, in trying to regain mileage), next take a compression test of all the cylinders to check on the engine's general condition. I happen to know that sometimes the gasket between the intake manifold and the plenum chamber takes a shit, not really detectable with a vacuum gauge, and sometimes spraying oil on the seam does nothing (because the part of the gasket that takes a shit is at the back, where you can't get at it properly). A real bitch to get off, if everything else looks ok, it is worth a look.

Old 06-25-2009, 09:15 PM   #21

No check engine light. I am thinking that I should change the thermostat. I read that they like to run hotter. Someone may have put a 180 in there.

Still working on pulling codes. I sprayed carb cleaner around the vacuum lines and the intake manifold. No change.

I also had the battery disconnected all afternoon to reset the computer.

I really think it may be temp related. Considering that is has been about 95 degrees here and the thing only get about a 1/4 of the way of the temp guage.

Allen

Old 06-25-2009, 09:41 PM   #22

only get about a 1/4 of the way of the temp gauge

Mine runs at about 1/2, but the gauges in these trucks aren't accurate. If you run the thing at factory temp the damn rad let's go, the plastic tank, over time (and heat) develops a crack. When you get it out you will see it was designed to fail. It's a Ford, you don't buy parts, you rent them.

I sprayed carb cleaner around the vacuum lines and the intake manifold

It's the gasket joint between the intake, and the plenum (that alloy casting that the throttle body hangs off of), sometimes there is no detecting a gasket failure there, you just dig out the $300 worth of snap-off tools, undo the bolts, and lift it up to see (I *think* the gasket is worth a couple of bucks).

Everything else on these vehicles is "wired" to tell you if it is fubared, other than mechanical failure.

Old 06-25-2009, 09:46 PM   #23

I really wouldn't surprise me to find a 180 thermostat in there. Going to drain alittle fluid and take a look and probably just pop a new one in there while its apart.

Wouldn't the truck get really lean if that gasket has failed?

As far as renting them. A GM is worse.

At least the parts are cheap.

Allen

Old 06-25-2009, 10:47 PM   #24

Wouldn't the truck get really lean if that gasket has failed?

Only one cylinder would get lean, causing the computer to *think* the IAC isn't open enough (there is no single cylinder monitoring, the computer "sees" the engine as a whole), and/or the fuel gets turned up to compensate for a low/rough idle situation. It is a really "dumb" system. I would guess the EGR could be acting up (because the symptom would be the same for a stuck open EGR, but there is an electronic feed back (to the computer) for the EGR system. I have seen these gaskets fail, in Fords, at anything in excess of 100,000 km. The individual intake runners start just inside the throttle valve, so a vacuum leak at the gasket is far enough away from where the runners start for the other cylinders not to affect them much.

Old 06-25-2009, 11:01 PM   #25

Interesting, Well the plugs I pulled from the truck all looked fine. None indicated a lean condition. All of them about the same.

Allen

Old 06-26-2009, 02:28 AM   #26

sounds to me like your coolant temp sensor could be going bad . i have been turning wrenches for almost 20 years and also work at autozone . the coolant temp sensor tells the computer that your truck is always cold causing it to go into a "flood " mode trying to crank the truck up . when the engine is warm all the other sensors are telling the computer it is warm but the cts keeps telling it it is cold causing it to pour more fuel . can also cause very crappy fuel mileage .

Old 06-26-2009, 05:53 AM   #27

Do the thermostat first, before going anywhere else first, see how that goes, it's the easiest (and cheapest) thing to try.

Old 06-26-2009, 10:02 AM   #28

Yep. I was planning to pick a thermostat up today and get that in there. The ECT sensor is not very expensive either.

Since I plan to keep and use this truck I don't mind spending alittle to get it right.

Still have less than a china bike in it.

Allen

Old 06-27-2009, 06:27 PM   #29

Well Thursday after I picked up the atv I stopped to buy some batteries and came out to the ranger and it wouldn't start. Nothing when I hit the switch.

Pulled a screwdriver from the toolbox and jump the solenoid and it fired right up. Drove home and parked it. Didn't use it until today I go to start it up and nothing again. This time the screwdriver didn't work.

Seems the battery may be drained. Put the charger on it and will check it later.

Still have to fix the stalling/hard start issues.

Allen

Old 06-27-2009, 07:57 PM   #30

Low therm in it will cause it to run a little bad and bad gas milage but I doubt It would cause the hard start issue.