Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Off-Topic/General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-11-2010, 02:05 PM   #31

Can't believe nobody picked Easy Rider. It's got motorcycle, drugs, sex, and violence--all the ingredients for a great movie.

Old 06-11-2010, 02:21 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon
Can't believe nobody picked Easy Rider. It's got motorcycle, drugs, sex, and violence--all the ingredients for a great movie.
RIP Dennis. :(

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 06-11-2010, 03:32 PM   #33

I tried, and tried, and tried... I tried a few times but I just could not bring myself to watch that entire movie.

On a somewhat related note, I just got Telus TV (and internet), it is quite nice. And way cheaper then Shaw. The internet is around 14Mbps down, and twice as fast as Shaw up. The TV is using Microsoft Media Room, and has "PVR Anywhere". I'm only paying $25 a month for the first year (1 channel theme pack), and $65 a month after that. With Shaw I was paying $95 a month, and it didn't have any PVR. The Telus guide and everything else is also much nicer then the Shaw digital tv I had.

Old 06-11-2010, 08:23 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim
I tried, and tried, and tried... I tried a few times but I just could not bring myself to watch that entire movie.

On a somewhat related note, I just got Telus TV (and internet), it is quite nice. And way cheaper then Shaw. The internet is around 14Mbps down, and twice as fast as Shaw up. The TV is using Microsoft Media Room, and has "PVR Anywhere". I'm only paying $25 a month for the first year (1 channel theme pack), and $65 a month after that. With Shaw I was paying $95 a month, and it didn't have any PVR. The Telus guide and everything else is also much nicer then the Shaw digital tv I had.
I had a nightmare with Telus Internet service, it just wouldn't work properly for me. I haven't tried the TV service, but I've really had no reason to. I always found Shaw to be quite reasonable. My HD PVR is awesome, and you were paying more for your Shaw service than I with HD + Channels. It's a bit odd. I'm now bundled with phone (unlimited LD), internet and HD TV from Shaw and couldn't be happier.

Old 06-12-2010, 01:01 AM   #35

That $95 a month for internet and digital tv was before tax. My bill ended up being $104 ish. Not sure why you have a better deal? They would not offer me any promotions. Even when I told them to cancel my service because it was too much and I could get a far better deal from Telus. All they would say is well with Telus you have a contract. Although technically you don't have too, I only signed up for 3 years for the free pvr. Also, with the price difference, after only a few months I could pay to cancel Telus and still be ahead of what I'd have spent sticking with Shaw. I haven't seen yet, but my sister just moved, and Shaw billed her $10 to cancel her service. If I end up with a bill like that I'll definitely be on the phone with them.

I would have stuck with Shaw, if they could have been somewhat competitive with the pricing.

I wonder when you tried Telus internet? I think they've been upgrading a lot of their infrastructure lately. I've got 14Mbps for $10/month (and $10 for tv and then$5 for my extra channel pack). I could pay a little more I believe to get faster internet but 14 is good enough for me. Since I got Telus (granted it has only been a few days), my internet has been flawless. My parents have also used Telus for years.

My PVR and 2nd digital box are also HD, I just don't have an HDTV to take advantage of it. The digital guide on Telus seems a lot nicer, though maybe with your PVR it is different then it was with just the Shaw digital box. As far as service goes, with Shaw, one day my internet stopped working. Kind of, about 1 in 4 websites would load. When I phoned them they basically said they had no reports of outages so it wasn't their problem. Granted, the rest of the time the internet worked, I did have the tv go out a few times.

Either way though, the switch was strictly cost based. I am happy with it though

Old 06-15-2010, 11:45 PM   #36

Having had the service a few days now, I'd have to say I am really happy with the switch.

The guide is great, channel switching is fast, the pvr is great, and my internet is almost as fast as it was with Shaw. Telus just renamed it Optik TV, and it's using Microsoft's Media Room software. It can record up to 3 shows at a time, and play back on any of the boxes. The search feature is pretty handy too. I also believe the VOD prices are lower then they were with Shaw, but I don't quite remember because I don't often use that.

The best part of course is the money, I know you said you were paying less Turbo, not sure if you have promotions? but my sister was also spending as much as I was, with no PVR or HD. I will save enough money this year on TV/Internet to buy a new HD tv (plasma not LED).

Old 06-16-2010, 04:19 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim
Having had the service a few days now, I'd have to say I am really happy with the switch.

The guide is great, channel switching is fast, the pvr is great, and my internet is almost as fast as it was with Shaw. Telus just renamed it Optik TV, and it's using Microsoft's Media Room software. It can record up to 3 shows at a time, and play back on any of the boxes. The search feature is pretty handy too. I also believe the VOD prices are lower then they were with Shaw, but I don't quite remember because I don't often use that.

The best part of course is the money, I know you said you were paying less Turbo, not sure if you have promotions? but my sister was also spending as much as I was, with no PVR or HD. I will save enough money this year on TV/Internet to buy a new HD tv (plasma not LED).

Awesome... sounds like you're happy. I just personally had nightmares with Telus. I haven't tried their TV system but I've had no reason to. I do love the PVR as well, it's a cool toy.

With the phone, internet and HDTV service from Shaw, it's all bundled together and I rarely have outages and the phone service alone was $50 a month cheaper than Telus with more upgrades. Telus is very aggressive with their promotions to bring you over but once it's done the bill keeps going up I found.

I'm really not judging your choice, it's what you're happy with and I hope you continue to be!

Old 06-16-2010, 03:58 PM   #38

I understand, a lot of people dislike Telus from previous experiences. I've never had a home phone, and don't require one so I can't comment on those. I did have a Telus cell phone many years ago, I recall the reception being good, but expensive. Apparently the Minerva tv service Telus was operating is not on par with this new "Optik" service (media room).

I agree Telus is aggressive with their promotions. If I didn't add the additional channel pack, I would be at $20 a month for 1 year for tv and internet, with a free hd pvr rental and free first month. So in year one I would only spend $220. With Shaw, I did have a few more channels I believe, but ones I didn't want, and no HD PVR, my internet was about 5Mbps faster. I was spending $95 a month. So in the same 12 month span I would spend $1140. My only additional cost is I purchased my second digital box (which I didn't have with Shaw), which also works with the PVR, for $150, rather then renting it for $10 a month. So in year one (everything is pre-tax), I'm spending $370. That means I'm saving $770 and getting a better service (my service, not comparing your Shaw service).

The way I see it, even if I don't like it, after year one I'll save enough to cancel Telus. The cancellation fee I believe is $10 a month, so if I cancel with 2 years remaining, it would be $240. Take that off my savings and I still save $530. I figured I had to give it a try, it was either that or cancel Shaw TV and just watch stuff online. I think that would have still cost me more.

I was told for year 2 and 3, my bill (including my channel pack) would be $65 / month, $30 less then my Shaw bill.

Oh I did forget the channel pack in the above calculations, so I think it would add another $66 to year one, and $72 to year 2 and 3.

I know my parents on the other hand, aren't in an area serviced my Telus TV (Optik). They do have the internet, but I think it is the 3Mbps profile, however I am unsure. The quality of it there isn't spectacular, but we believe there is wiring issues between the road and the house, and possibly in the house for the phone lines. It does work, it just needs resetting sometimes.

And I suppose I should throw in a movie pick here too...

Con Air... I really like this movie for some reason.

Old 06-18-2010, 03:28 AM   #39

Air America is a really good movie too.

Old 07-02-2010, 12:50 PM   #40

I understand, a lot of people dislike Telus from previous experiences.

Telus= the devil

Internet service providers have reciprocity agreements across the country excepting Telus. On a recent road trip a Telus pay phone wanted $2 for me to make a collect call.

An interesting show, though somewhat scary, is: GasLand. Fairly constantly being shown on HBO, and "up" at all the usual places.

I am happy to say I am TV free. I went to pay the bills at month end last summer and realized that the TV had not been turned on for 3 months, so I canceled the cable. I currently download any shows I want to watch, from around the world, commercial free.

Old 07-10-2010, 02:35 AM   #41

"The Arrow" by CBC is a good Dan Ackroyd movie.

Old 07-10-2010, 02:47 AM   #42

Was that the film about the Avro Arrow? I only caught the tail end of that movie, and I'd like to see the rest.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 07-10-2010, 04:45 AM   #43

Yes, I've got it on DVD if you'd like to borrow it sometime.

Old 07-14-2010, 01:00 PM   #44

Smokey and The Bandit
Caddyshack
The Cannonball Run
and
DeathRace 2000

Old 07-14-2010, 01:42 PM   #45

Re: The Arrow.............again "up" in all the usual places and there is a companion CBC documentary along with it.

The CBC goes to great lengths to dispel the theory the cancellation of the Arrow was a "Conservative thing", or that if was a french-English "thing" (the airplanes the DND ended up with were built by Canadair in Montreal). I think as Canadians we can accurately guess that it was one, or both of the reasons. It is interesting that ex AVROW employees were sucked up by worldwide leaders in the aviation/space sector.