Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Off-Topic/General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2010, 11:03 AM   #61

I just got Netflix a few weeks ago. In Canada they don't mail out dvd's, they only stream videos. It streams to my Xbox and computer, and for $8 a month with unlimited movies, it seems like a good deal. There is a lot of movies they don't have however, but there is also a very large selection and it suggests movies based on what you watch and how you rate them.

Some more suggestions,

Down Periscope is a good one.
Fracture with Anthony Hopkins is also good.
The Illusionist with Edward Norton.
Multiplicity with Michael Keaton.
Office Space...

Old 11-22-2010, 11:24 AM   #62

I've been thinking about Netflix, but I haven't sorted out the logistics yet. I guess we could buy the wireless device for the Xbox and stream directly to the tv, or we could connect a PC to the tv and do it that way. I've considered putting together a PC for that purpose, because it could also be a cheap Blu-ray, DivX and game system (not that we need another game system).

I built a micro ATX earlier this year, and used a black cube instead of a conventional tower. That would be perfect in the family room. Does anybody have any suggestions about how else we might stream Netflix to the tv? I'd love to get rid of cable.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 11-22-2010, 11:32 AM   #63

You could use a PS3, it has bluray, I believe wifi, and will also stream netflix. Or you could use the xbox, I don't know the physical layout there, but you could hook it up with a cable or wifi, I'm just to cheap to buy the microsoft wifi card. Wii also has netflix, and built in wifi, no bluray though. Or you could use a laptop / netbook with a hookup for the tv..

On a related note, I am still happy with my Telus TV / Internet, tv with 1 additional channel pack, hd pvr, and internet for about $30 a month.

Old 11-22-2010, 12:04 PM   #64

I just checked this morning, and we still can't get Telus TV in our area, yet my buddy down the street can. :?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 11-22-2010, 01:22 PM   #65

Your cheapest route would be to go wireless adaptor on the xbox.

The PS3 works but mine doesn't stream wirelessly well, I have a long cable I plug into.

I'm not sure if the new Apple TV's support netflix, as they are really small and are only 100 bucks or so.

I'd suggest a wireless N router as well. If you are only running G any good content stuff might stutter a little.

Wired is always better though. So if you can somehow get a long cat 5 cable from your router into your xbox you'll be happier with the results.

Old 11-22-2010, 04:22 PM   #66

You might want to call Telus to check, I've read reports of the website telling people it wasn't available in their area, and then on the phone they said it was...

If you want that, that is...

One other thing to remember with netflix is every time you watch something you are using some of your alloted monthly bandwidth... I don't know what the limits are with your provider (guessing you are with shaw?).. I don't think it is a major concern but something to be aware of... Telus has a limit, I forget what it is, but every time I check my usage it is at 0 so I guess I don't have to worry about it.

Old 11-22-2010, 10:07 PM   #67

We don't have a PS3, just an Xbox and Wii at this time, so maybe the wireless adapter is the way to go.

Thanks for the tip on calling Telus. Yes, at the price you're paying, I'd like to try it.

I think I've got a Cat 5 crimper around here, so maybe I'll run some cable. We'll see what Telus says first.

Old 11-22-2010, 10:19 PM   #68

If you don't I do, and somewhere under 1000ft of cable (it was very cheap at home depot)...

The wii has built in wifi and can use netflix, that sounds like your easiest setup if you've got a wireless router already...

The Wii won't do HD though, as far as I know it isn't capable of it.

The price I am paying is a promo price and set to go up after 1 year, I think then I will be paying around $50-60 if I recall correctly. That is for both the tv and internet service though. The internet is a bit slower then Shaw, it's around 13-15mbits/s. If you do get Telus, you can have them set your xbox up as a second "set top box" so you can access the pvr with it. The only issue with that is they charge you something like $8 a month to use your own hardware (vs renting a second box for $10 a month I believe, I purchased my second box, looking back that was a mistake I really only need the one). They also have to do some wiring changes so you may have different options for connectivity after they're done.

My router (provided by telus, includes wifi / modem) is installed in my room. I believe it is plugged in to the coax jack and an adsl jack. My 2nd set top box is connected to it. And then in living room my main set top box / pvr is plugged in via the coax jack. My xbox is connected with a cat5 cable to the back of the pvr and it connects to the internet that way. Nice and simple... The installer didn't mention I could do this though, he had me run a cable around the room, I guess he didn't know you could do that, I found it online.

About the PS3, I only mentioned it because you were considering setting up another computer to use as a media player / blu ray player and I don't think the ps3 would be too far off price wise as an alternative. Not too familiar with them though.

I do like the netflix user interface on the xbox better then the wii, but prefer the computer interface. They all work though.