Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Off-Topic/General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2010, 08:26 AM   #1

Japanese Mini-trucks

Does anyone have any experience with them? I'll be moving in a month and we'll need a second vehicle in the winter for me to drive to work (~50KM). I don't want to spend the $$$ running the explorer. I've been looking seriously into these:

Diesel, with a hydraulic dump, and 4WD to boot.

"The beatings will continue until moral improves"

Old 08-16-2010, 08:38 AM   #2

Haven't used one personally, but looked hard at them myself, for the same reasons. For the amount of driving I do, one of these is still high on the list for my next vehicle.
There are several in use by the maintenance department (university campus) at work. I've never seen one broken down at the roadside and they drive them in all weather.
'Course, our winters are probably a bit milder :wink:
Bill

Old 08-16-2010, 08:43 AM   #3

I wanted to get one, but I cannot tag it here. The ones in the US are not dually and typically gas versions.

They use them as farm vehicles and maintenance on private property. Technically not legal for US roads.

When I stayed at the timeshare with my parents they were using them for maintenance.

It is about like buying a grey market tractor or a china bike.

Oh, If my Dad becomes a South Dakota resident I will have him register one for me. South Dakota will tag anything.

Allen

Old 08-16-2010, 09:06 AM   #4

I think you can register them in Oklahoma for use on secondary roads. Cant register them in Texas though. They do seem to be a great little vehicle though. Alot are sold around here for farm use and deer leases. Tilt beds, 4WD, sissor lifts, you name it, they have them on those little things.

Old 08-16-2010, 09:29 AM   #5

No problem plating them for the street here.

I'm really curious about whether the 'stated' fuel mileage of the gas versions is 45-55MPG. I spoke to the owner of the truck pictured above and he said it was getting ~30MPG. Most mini-trucks are 0.66L gas engines; the truck pictured above is a 2.2L diesel.

I'm very curious to see if the diesel has more power than the gas; especially given the displacement different.

Old 08-16-2010, 10:49 AM   #6

I think that the 2.2L will easily go highway speeds. It must be alittle larger truck. The wheels are six lug and the wheelbase is longer.

The typical kei trucks have the 660 gas engines. I hear about 40-45mpg is typical with running them at 50mph. They were designed for in town speeds.

Most of my miles are between 40-50mph on secondary roads. No way I would get on the freeway with it.

Old 08-16-2010, 11:02 AM   #7

I went ahead and emailed the tree company to see how it's been holding up. I also asked what kind of fuel mileage it's been getting. As a fellow ISA Arborist, I'm kinda curious how it holds up to tree work, even though lately I've just been hauling logs and not doing any residential work. If he responds, I'll post what he says.

Old 08-16-2010, 11:32 AM   #8

I like them too.

I don't see them on the roads here that I can recall but they are used on the farms.

Old 08-16-2010, 11:46 AM   #9

They are everywhere in BC. I have a friend up North who used to import and sell them, but I don't think he actually used them.

I'm waiting for Transport Canada to say no more RHD vehicles. I'm not sure if they would Grandfather the existing registered units or not. That said, I have seen the odd mini truck like the one in your photo that is LHD. Apparently they were made for the Middle Eastern market.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 08-16-2010, 11:50 AM   #10

I would think that the rural mail carriers would be all over them. Great mileage, 4x4, RHD. They have automatic models too.

I looked at it as an alternative to a scooter.

Allen

Old 08-16-2010, 12:03 PM   #11

Frostbite,

The tree guy already responded. He didn't say much other then it was a little underpowered for his needs, but other then that, it's been a good truck. He was asking $7200 which I'm guessing you already knew that. I was thinking that you just happen to drive by that truck and took a picture of it and I didn't realize that the picture you posted was from a listing, so I'm not telling you anything you probably don't already know......opps!

Anyway, it's made by Mazda so it should pretty reliable and also you would have dealer support. He had mentioned that it was a little underpowered, but then again he's useing it for tree work which means he's chipping trees into that box. Granted that's a small chipper box and you could probably only get a small tree in there, but even a small tree can weigh up to a couple thousand lbs, plus he might be hauling a small chipper.

Anyway, that's all I could come up with. Good luck.

Old 08-16-2010, 12:15 PM   #12

Thanks lego, I suspect it would be a bit light for a tree service as most of his work is probably cutting down problem trees and carting them away.

Old 08-16-2010, 12:31 PM   #13

The 2.2L mazda diesel is common and easy to get parts for. 30mpg sounds about right. Maybe alittle better with light loads.

If it is not already turboed those parts are bolt on I think.

Allen

Old 08-16-2010, 01:40 PM   #14

Common? Did something North American run the 2.2L? I know the Ranger ran a Mazda diesel but it was a Perkins. I believe this engine is a bit newer than that.

My biggest and only fear with the truck is that it would be an 'orphan' from a parts perspective. There is quite a bit of parts support for the gas mini's; the diesel's are almost unheard of in these parts.

Old 08-16-2010, 01:47 PM   #15

The Ranger used a Perkins for a year or two but also ran a Mazda for a year or two. IIRC one was turbo, the other was NA.

Both are virtually impossible to get parts for.

I saw a Ranger Diesel on CL last year cheap but researched getting support for the Mazda diesel and it looked dismal so I passed.

YMMV.