Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2010, 11:45 AM   #31

So that port in the side of the head intersects the exhaust port? I'm guessing that the theory is to blast a little oxygen into the port to further burn any unburned hydrocarbons.

I had an AIR system in an old Chev Monza when I was a kid, and it was very similar. It also went into the scrap pile.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 11-10-2010, 12:57 PM   #32

You got it!
Being from the PRK, it was a nifty device for smog that's been around on cars forever.
In the early days, the big pump you had to drive would rob (yet more) HP from an already choked off, carburated motor.

Now....the pumps don't really effect performance either way but they do make for less unburnt HC's exhausting into the atmosphere by injecting fresh O2 into the exhaust....that hits the cat and reburns what's left behind. Mind you....this is for carburated systems. The drawback is that extra heat to reburn the HC's also created a biproduct that really effected the L.A. area....Nox.

Fuel injection systems still have cats but they don't have to burn as hot to reignite what little HC's are left behind because of superior fuel metering and timing controls, so the air pump isn't needed and lowering the overall combustion heat has also decreased the Nox that was creating a whole new mess.

If I can swing the Q XP here soon, (Gotta sell the Hensim 150DB and my Husky) I'm not sure if I'll leave it on or not. I may keep it all 'reversable' but stashed in the shed. The PRK is going to start smogging bikes here soon. I'd like to set it up like your XF but swap it back to do a smog test for a day.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 11-10-2010, 02:06 PM   #33

The blocked-off T-fitting sticking up off the exhaust header can't be doing anything to enhance engine performance. I hesitate to remark, but I think the remaining tumor detracts slightly from the appearance of your beautiful motorcycle. :( Perhaps you might consider cutting off the T-fitting flush with the exhaust header, and sealing the hole with a spot weld.

Is the exhaust header from the Suzuki DR200SE afflicted with this tumor? If not, you might consider buying a used, DR200SE exhaust header. The DR200SE exhaust header is stainless steel.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 11-10-2010, 03:02 PM   #34

Spud,
My 2009 XF200 doesn't have the SAI port on the head pipe, It's in the block so I don't have the tumor.
I just posted that photo with the tumor in case someone had an earlier model.

My XF200 with SAI port blocked off. Just got back from a run up to Deal's Gap and all is ok. Not scientific but I think the new muffler helps because I can now pull a hill in fifth gear instead of needing to down shift to fourth. Plug looked fine.

Old 11-10-2010, 03:16 PM   #35

Bar End Mirror View Photo

Photo taken from the rider's view.

It has a fish eye (?) type mirror so you get a good view right behind you.
I am amazed that I get a much better rear view than the stock mirrors.

I'll try to get another photo with a car behind me. Need one of those helmet or glasses cam to keep from dropping my camera.

Old 11-10-2010, 03:36 PM   #36

I'm glad your exhaust header is not afflicted with the unsightly tumor, Bar! Your new mirror affords an excellent view to the rear! Please forgive me, but I encourage you to be careful when snapping photos while riding. We enjoy having you with us on these forums, and we certainly hope you continue to enjoy good health!

P.S. I'm starting to sound like my father!

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 11-10-2010, 06:42 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
Thanks for showing us WA's lock idea in action. We have the same lock on our gate, except is has letters that are easy for the kids to remember.

The bar end mirror looks great. 8)
Weldangrind,
Thanks.
As you probably know but in case others don't, the lock comes with letter and number wheels. I swapped the letter wheels with all number wheels.

Old 11-11-2010, 12:43 AM   #38

O.k....o.k..... I've read both forum posts.....but I'm aging!
Without the cam change....what was your final setup for the 20 HP?

Carb clip on the 4th notch.
Stock air box over the Uni or K&N
No air injection
Turbine Core 2 (very popular here)
127.5 Main jet

Did i miss anything? I want to get this right!

It looks like that 2009 Q-XP will soon be in my future! ....and Mrs. 2LZ will be now manning (womaning?) my Lifanoid! ....and like you, I can't leave anything alone. :oops:

2009 Q Link XP 200

Old 11-11-2010, 03:30 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LZ
...and Mrs. 2LZ will be now manning (womaning?) my Lifanoid!
Personing?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 11-11-2010, 08:19 AM   #40

2LZ,
I didn't do the dyno run on mychinamoto,com that I referenced if you are asking me.
However, I think that you have the right setup for the 20HP run.

From post #40 at
http://www.supermotojunkie.com/showthread.php?104933-My-XF200(update-with-dyno-results)&highlight=xf200

"I went ahead and swapped back in the stock airbox to see what the differences were....as I had suspected there was NO gain going to the K&N...I even tried rejetting and it wanted the exact same jet to make the power....there was a very slight gain in the low end moving the needle clip to the lowest position(furthest from the top)...it also feels much smoother in the mid range/transitional areas....It seems like this is the optimal setup for power/driveability...I would like to try some different springs for the CV slide diaphram...may be some low/mid range gains there....but I have to find some light springs...

Stock airbox
127.5 main jet
Needle clip on lowest slot"

From post #32
"So I got bored today and decided to strap the XF to my dyno...(video uploading now)...I am not 100% on the numbers yet...but I did get to adjust fuel to find optimal jetting...first runs were on the 132.5 jet...was about 19.4hp...switched down to the 127.5...hit 20hp!!....decided to keep leaning it out....went down to a 125jet and hit 19.2hp ....back to the 127.5....back up to 20hp!...seems to be perfect with that jetting...I couldnt get my sniffer to pick up but it looks like its happy there!.....

"

I did not see if he did a base unmodified run on his dyno to get the stock rear wheel HP. I'll ask him.

The XF/XP engine looks to be a tough bird and again 20 rear wheel HP is some kind of juice from 200CCs.

Old 11-11-2010, 11:32 AM   #41

Very impressive, and it's nice to see real data like that rather than, 'It felt faster'

Old 11-11-2010, 11:40 AM   #42

Excellent! Thanks!....and sorry to get you mixed up. Seems all you super-moto guys look alike! 8O :oops:

I think concerning the air injection, I'll make a little plate and put it between the pump and the motor to make it 'look' like it's still functioning. That way, if I have to smog it, just change back to the stock pipe, jetting and pull the little plate.
I had to sell a car and took a HUGE loss when I was younger because all the smog devicing was gone and I'd done some irreversable mods. Don't want to have to do that again. Gotta love the PRK. :roll: :evil:

Going to see my CB guy today. I don't want to access the cash until after the first of the year (taxes). I'll give him some $$ to hold an orange one for me.

Total bike addict. Dangit. :x

2009 Q Link XP 200

Old 11-11-2010, 11:53 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDoc
Very impressive, and it's nice to see real data like that rather than, 'It felt faster'
You don’t trust the notorious “butt dyno,” Doc? 8O
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LZ
...Going to see my CB guy today...I'll give him some $$ to hold an orange one for me. ...
You’re off to a very good start by choosing the fastest color, 2LZ!

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 11-11-2010, 05:03 PM   #44

2LZ,
I thought about just pulling the small hose that powers the SAI off the Y fitting, tying the hose off with a zip tie to keep it out of the way, and putting a rubber or plastic cap on the open end of the y fitting to prevent a vacuum leak. So to reactivate the SAI, just pull the cap off and reconnect the hose.

But since I already has a box of parts off the XF that I can reinstall to get it back to stock, I thought what the heck and pulled the pump and hoses off.

Old 11-11-2010, 11:12 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnone
2LZ,
I thought about just pulling the small hose that powers the SAI off the Y fitting, tying the hose off with a zip tie to keep it out of the way, and putting a rubber or plastic cap on the open end of the y fitting to prevent a vacuum leak. So to reactivate the SAI, just pull the cap off and reconnect the hose.

But since I already has a box of parts off the XF that I can reinstall to get it back to stock, I thought what the heck and pulled the pump and hoses off.
That would work.... My main concern of course....is the morons who run our state. The "Save the Pollywog, screw the jobs" folks.
I did the plating thing to past pumps I've had with success....because I knew when the registration showed up....it has a huge 'stop sign' on it that says, you must bring your smog cert to DMV to get your registration.
I've also done the BB in the vacuum line and left it plugged in to appear it's there and working. Then pull the BB when you go to test.

I will say this....as a big a pain as the smog laws are here.....it really has cleaned up the air, especially in So Cal, in the last 20 years. For reals..........

2009 Q Link XP 200