Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Media/Reviews/Classifieds/Sponsors > Video and Pics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-12-2019, 10:08 AM   #1

California street legal 2 stroke?

Old 01-12-2019, 10:27 AM   #2

Wow! How did that happen in California!

Old 01-12-2019, 12:56 PM   #3

It's older than 2002, I believe it is exempt from the current laws. I could be wrong, but it is a guess.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 01-20-2019, 07:53 AM   #4

So...who's going to get the buried "treasure" piston???

Old 05-28-2019, 09:42 PM   #5

He did it again

So it needs to be a home built bike huh
Playing the game!
Another street legal 2T?

Old 05-28-2019, 11:28 PM   #6

Years ago, in the mid-90s, when I still lived in California, a friend had a 2T CR250 that he picked up for cheap because the bike's owner hadn't paid the off-road sticker in years. My friend went to the local Dept. of Motor Vehicles office in Oxnard, Cal. to see if he could clear up the title. The woman there offered him the opportunity to register it as a street legal bike, as California was still allowing converted dirt bikes to become street legal at that time. Technically, one needed all the street legal bits and bobs, as well as going to an authorized dealer who would check off on the bike meeting at least the minimum of being street legal, including the lights staying on when the engine was off. Well, the DMV employee allowed my friend to bypass all of that, and handed him a license plate and street registration. Years went by, and around 2000 I remember being slightly north in Santa Barbara, Cal. and saw a couple riding two up on a plated two-stroke CR250. I never spoke to them about the bike, but it made me wonder if it happened to be the plated CR250 my friend had. In theory, any leftover legally converted dirt bike could still be registered in California is my guess, provided the owner kept up with registration or put the bike on 'non-operation' status (keeps it in limbo from a registration point of view). Disclaimer--I did not watch either video, but if one can find an old converted bike in a barn in California, then one could theoretically get it registered for the street. Another loophole for anyone with a 49 state bike who owns it for a certain period of time, and moves into California can legally register said bike in California. I am fairly certain, however, that ATVs and UTVs legally registered for the road in certain states can NEVER be registered for the street in California under the same circumstances.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 05-29-2019, 02:36 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by culcune View Post
Years ago, in the mid-90s, when I still lived in California, a friend had a 2T CR250 that he picked up for cheap because the bike's owner hadn't paid the off-road sticker in years. My friend went to the local Dept. of Motor Vehicles office in Oxnard, Cal. to see if he could clear up the title. The woman there offered him the opportunity to register it as a street legal bike, as California was still allowing converted dirt bikes to become street legal at that time. Technically, one needed all the street legal bits and bobs, as well as going to an authorized dealer who would check off on the bike meeting at least the minimum of being street legal, including the lights staying on when the engine was off. Well, the DMV employee allowed my friend to bypass all of that, and handed him a license plate and street registration. Years went by, and around 2000 I remember being slightly north in Santa Barbara, Cal. and saw a couple riding two up on a plated two-stroke CR250. I never spoke to them about the bike, but it made me wonder if it happened to be the plated CR250 my friend had. In theory, any leftover legally converted dirt bike could still be registered in California is my guess, provided the owner kept up with registration or put the bike on 'non-operation' status (keeps it in limbo from a registration point of view). Disclaimer--I did not watch either video, but if one can find an old converted bike in a barn in California, then one could theoretically get it registered for the street. Another loophole for anyone with a 49 state bike who owns it for a certain period of time, and moves into California can legally register said bike in California. I am fairly certain, however, that ATVs and UTVs legally registered for the road in certain states can NEVER be registered for the street in California under the same circumstances.
Well he is in CA and has 2 street legal 2T dirt bikes now - I think he was smart n played the game better
The second is a 'Homebuilt bike" on paper but reality it has a new frame and light added.

Old 05-29-2019, 10:24 AM   #8

Excellent! Being a person who works for the over-regulated, bloated, bureaucracy, here in CA, this is a guy is my hero!

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350