Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Everything Else
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-03-2010, 09:57 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by katoranger
One more thing. You might be able to get it registered in tater land. Look up the japanese mini trucks.
Once again, thank you for the good lead, Allen. I can only find used mini trucks listed on the web; do you know of anyone selling new ones?

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 02-03-2010, 10:21 PM   #17

I'm not sure how it works on your side of the border, but we can import vehicles into Canada (from countries other than the US) that are at least 15 years old, and they won't need to comply with the Canada Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (CMVSS). As a result, we are currently seeing importers bring 200 right hand drive vehicles per month into BC, mostly from Japan (not sure of the volume into other Provinces).

A high number of these vehicles are tiny four wheel drive cab-over flat deck trucks with diesel engines. I think they're interesting, but I don't want right hand drive.

This is a by-product of the Japanese laws concerning vehicle mileage (not meaning economy). Once a vehicle hits a certain number (I think it's around 20000km, which takes a long time to accumulate in Japan), either the car must receive a new engine, or the entire car must be sold off-shore. As a result, container loads of vehicles are being shipped to Canada for low prices (as are containers of engines). As a bonus, Japanese Domestic Market (JDM) vehicles are often higher performance than the US or Canadian counterparts.

Forum members, please feel free to correct me as necessary.

BTW, we can import new US vehicles into Canada, and I don't think that there is an age restriction anymore (it used to be two years, IIRC).

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 02-04-2010, 05:12 AM   #18

Yeah those mini trucks are interesting but only if they can be registered for the road, I have seen it stated in sales ads that they can NOT be registered for the road.
Things may have changed since I looked into them but even so I'm sure there is a work around.

some of the small SUV's I can find/think of.
chevy tracker
geo tracker
suzuki vitara
suzuki sidekick
suzuki grand vitara
suzuki samurai
suzuki X90 (still want one of these)
KIA sportage
toyota rav4 (should be a good vehicle)
Isuzu amigo (looks like a slightly bigger tracker)
Daihatsu Rocky

I prefer the tracker over the UTV still.

Old 02-04-2010, 08:17 AM   #19

The mini trucks are not registerable in GA. Only for farm use. I have seen alot of left hand drive ones too.

I believe that the mileage limit is alittle higher, but that is pretty much the case for Japan. Gives us lots of good used engines for our cars here.

I wanted a mini truck. It would be great for my use, but could not find a loophole to be able to street use it.

I could in South Dakota. You can register it as an ATV and drive it on any road with a speed limit of 55 or less.

As for new small SUVs. I don't think anything super small exists anymore.

Old 02-04-2010, 08:25 AM   #20

We are also getting a pile of those little trucks in Ontario. I don't want RHD either, but if the prices were more reasonable, I'd put up with it.
They are currently about $5k to buy one. Too much, IMO.

I believe the reason that so many of the jap vehicles get exported/parted, is that their vehicle licensing (tax) system is not very favourable to older vehicles, so it makes financial sense to buy new, instead of keeping your old car/truck.

Old 02-04-2010, 08:36 AM   #21

They sell for about $5k here too. We don't seem to get the diesels though. I would probably go for one if it was diesel. Get my Dad to register it in SD for me.

Allen

Old 02-04-2010, 09:12 AM   #22

I wonder how close one of those mini-trucks is to a suzuki samurai and if the body could be put on a samurai chassis and titled as an assembled vehicle.
Its a long shot but might work but only really worth doing if you can get the parts cheap enough.(a lot of work)

I kind of thought the mini-vans were interesting also.

Actually just getting a used tracker (stopped making them in 04) and turning the rear cargo are into a mini truck bed would be very easy.

I made a secure box area for mine, its great to be able to lock things up safe and secure.

Old 02-04-2010, 12:45 PM   #23

I don't know what the laws in ID say, but some states do allow road use to a certain extent.

I saw one seller in IL that said they could get 2010 Suzukis. I will see if I can find it back.

I would like to be able to use one to commute in. I usually on drive about 45mph. I seen in MN that the are allowed in certain areas too. Would be perfect for my Dad to use for his maintenance truck. Never leaves town or over 30mph.

Old 02-04-2010, 12:48 PM   #24

Here is a useful link.

http://www.iihs.org/laws/minitrucks.aspx

Old 02-04-2010, 01:26 PM   #25

Quote:
Thank you for the great link, Allen. It appears that Idaho classifies these vehicles as UTVs; therefore, they are very limited for street use in Idaho.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 02-04-2010, 02:27 PM   #26

Spud, what is your plan for the vehicle?

It is tough to find a vehicle to suit specific purposes. Most of us end up buying something to cover possible needs. Like the giant SUV to occasionally haul large items or tow a trailer.

I figured out that I am better with 3 cars. I always have a backup then. Two are older. Ya know. Cash for Clunkers. I paid cash for 2 clunkers and then we have a newer van that we all fit in and has the nicities and I can trust to make it cross country. Of course its financed, but only 2 more years. In order to make sure we can keep it running longer all the little short trips are done with the clunkers.

So far my $750 ranger has lasted 6 months and 7000 miles with no major issues. It hauls tractors, bikes, home depot runs, scrap metal and gets me to work everyday. Only one payment, cheap tag, cheap insurance.

The used trackers are probably a better buy than any of the current products. Less cost up front. Make it the way you want it.

Old 02-04-2010, 02:36 PM   #27

Those Suzuki Sidekicks/Geo Trackers are great. My buddy has one and I really liek it. Very simple and fun vehicle. I don't like the seating position, and the non-adjustable steering wheel sits at an odd angle for me.

Many/most Samurais have been beat to $hit, tough to find a good one, and they ride really poorly, IMHO, over about 50. Almost unsafe.

A local farmer whose house I drive by. He has a beat up looking minitruck, I think a Mistubishi? I think it might be dead, I've not seen it move. Sure looks like a fun project though...

Old 02-04-2010, 03:32 PM   #28

Hmmm thats funny my tracker is fully loaded and has tilt wheel, cruise, A/C, 4wd, 4-speed auto, power windows, power locks W-remote key entry, power mirrors, delayed wipers, power steering, power brakes, aluminum rims W-full size spare, auto on lights, CD player and I added remote start and a 700 watt power invertor.
$13,400 brand new and much better than a UTV overall.(< IMO)

It will cruise the highway at 80mph or so (it will go faster than that) and feels fine-solid but the cruise control gives it fits trying to keep up at that rate.
There is wind noise but not so much that it bothers me and I'm sensitive to those types of noises.

I want a removable hardtop but they are expensive and getting harder to find.

Old 02-04-2010, 04:02 PM   #29

My buddy has a 1992 LSi. It does not have any of those options. Remember I said I like the Tracker, my ride complaints are with the Saumrai. I like that one too, just for low speed off road and around town though. I thought the LSi was comfortable enough, but the non adjustable steering well angle is set for a fat guy, too high and at too steep an angle for me.

Old 02-04-2010, 04:23 PM   #30

Quote:
Spud, what is your plan for the vehicle?...
I am interested in a reliable vehicle with good gas mileage, easy maintenance, and some cargo capacity. The small SUVs really appeal to me; I am disappointed that the current models keep getting bigger, and bigger. :(

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220