Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-09-2020, 10:15 PM   #1

Defective electrical components FROM THE FACTORY

I’ve noticed something with all my Chinabikes: Stators, CDIs, & coils are notorious for going bad on them.

I just ordered 2 CDIs and 2 stators for my Tao Bull 150. I already had determined it needed a new stator and I also have learned by experience that sometimes when you buy replacement Chinese parts, they are defective *from the factory*.
I received my 2 stators today, and tested them both via a multimeter, and sure enough, one was good and one was bad, straight from the factory.

Do any of you have the same experience with Chinese electrical components?

I had a mechanic that sold Tao Tao products tell me once “Yeah, Tao makes good Honda clone motors and their frames are getting better every year, but they just seem to always have electrical component reliability issues.”

Old 04-10-2020, 01:57 AM   #2

I have noticed a similar trend. Someone with better knowledge of the supply chain can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe whoever is making these components, they sell them to everyone in the business. Like the $5 CDI box on Tao's website is probably supplied by a company selling them to everyone in the business. And if we can buy them for $5, how much can they really be putting into them? My understanding is that most of these machines are assembled with ready components and adapted to fit rather than the QC we're used to seeing on things like automotive products.

2018 Tao Bull 200 red
2018 Tao Bull 200 green
2018 Tao New T-Force graffiti
2018 Tao New T-Force blue

Old 04-10-2020, 07:57 AM   #3

Exactly. The good news is, if you can test your electrical components out of the box (which you can with all of them except the CDI), then VMC Chinese parts will send you out a new one to replace it as long as you tell them that you got a defective part. Their service has been great, I just wish that these "OEM" Chinese parts would put a few more bucks into them. I'd pay it, if I knew the QC would make these components last even 3-5 years. I don't expect Japanese quality, but man, I've had to replace a CDI or a stator every 1-2 years. I've never had to replace the electrical components on my Japanese bikes.

Old 04-10-2020, 11:01 AM   #4

Parts

I have a lot of good luck and hardly ever have those parts go.... if anything over the years... maybe a bad cdi.. but that is over 10 years of selling... I guess I have had good luck... must people load up the electrical with lights... or heavy cranking …

Old 04-10-2020, 02:25 PM   #5

That's good to hear. I don't have any extra electricals to load up my stator, but we do have significant temperature swings throughout the year here, which makes for a tough row to hoe for the expansion and contraction of electrical components.