Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-28-2017, 08:54 PM   #1

Cheap Phone Mounts

I love finding quick and effective ways to do things. I was trying to figure out how to mount our phones on the bikes in a sturdy way without spending a lot of green. I had already bought a couple of Ram Quick-Grip cradles for the phones and they were close to list, about 15 bucks. Besides that, I needed a way to actually mount them to the bike.

I cant take credit for the next idea. I am at best the guy that got chocolate in the peanut butter. So my friend Richie showed me this video:

I already had the cradle instead of the case, and the cradle has some sturdy mount points already designed in. All I really had to do was drill holes in the clamp handle and screw on the cradle. It is surprisingly stable laterally and clamps securely on the bar pad. And the 3" clamp was $2. For the OE Hawk pad, 2" or smaller would probably bite well.

I know it is backwards from the video. Elizabeth was worried about getting stabbed in the chest with the unused handle and its a fair point. So I mounted it on the backside of the handle. Despite the rounding, it is very secure to the handle. I will likely secure the tail end of the other handle to something solid in the triple tree cluster so it will not wobble about too much. I hope the pad is firm enough to keep the mount steady and not thrash it about. Though you cannot see them in the picture, there are fingers that are bolted into the cradle that keep the phone from slipping out. It really is a very secure cradle that my friends have used on offroad trips before and nobody has had a phone go flying so I am confident it will work well.

Old 04-28-2017, 10:35 PM   #2

I like this idea. Does it turn at all with the foam or does that clamp hold it pretty solid?

Old 04-29-2017, 07:19 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadan View Post
I like this idea. Does it turn at all with the foam or does that clamp hold it pretty solid?
It does turn with the foam, I think if I had a smaller clamp it would grip tighter. But I feel like it will secure well when I zip down the other end with a tie. I will test it before going on the trail, easy enough to make changes if it is not sturdy.

Old 04-29-2017, 01:14 PM   #4

Added power to this, I was wanting something that was a bit more sheltered and this is about the best I can do for mounting. Should work!

Old 04-29-2017, 03:11 PM   #5

I dont have first hand experience with this on but a friend of mine uses it on a Harley and loves it. The reviews are mixed but thats typical. Price is good. https://www.amazon.com/Cell-Buckle-M.../dp/B0087EOTUI

Previously owned / operated MOTO Xtreme selling American Lifan / Check out my friends at www.armattanquads.com

"Imagination is more important that knowledge" Albert Einstein

Old 04-29-2017, 05:09 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by emptyschmitz View Post
It does turn with the foam, I think if I had a smaller clamp it would grip tighter. But I feel like it will secure well when I zip down the other end with a tie. I will test it before going on the trail, easy enough to make changes if it is not sturdy.
I wonder how well a section of radiator hose sliced up to fit in the jaws for a little extra material would work? Maybe all it needs is a little more material to squeeze into.

Old 04-30-2017, 12:50 PM   #7

Here's my cheapy..

Was $13, on Amazon. Looks sketchy as hell, but works great even with larger phones (I use a 6s plus)

Roam Universal Premium Bike Phone Mount for Motorcycle - Bike Handlebars, Adjustable, Fits iPhone 6s | 6s Plus, iPhone 7 | 7 Plus, Galaxy S7, S6, S5, Holds Phones Up To 3.5" Wide https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LWDCSIZ..._kwHbzbT2XFCTJ

Rides a 2016 Bashan 18C with Blue PlastiDip, piped and jetted, USB charger, real-time digital volt meter, faux carbon fiber handguards, 5 COB led headlight upgrade, auxiliary led light bars, and an MSR shift lever with new grips, T6 aluminum handlebars anodized in blue, polished handlebar brace, decals, HD Unibear chain and spoke covers waiting on the always-full mod shelf......

Old 04-30-2017, 01:32 PM   #8

I have this.

https://www.amazon.com/Bike-Mount-Ho...6e1fc753055947

I'm thinking about trying this.

https://www.amazon.com/Roam-Universa...be29471f132774

Old 04-30-2017, 03:56 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWeld View Post
Here's my cheapy..

Was $13, on Amazon. Looks sketchy as hell, but works great even with larger phones (I use a 6s plus)

Roam Universal Premium Bike Phone Mount for Motorcycle - Bike Handlebars, Adjustable, Fits iPhone 6s | 6s Plus, iPhone 7 | 7 Plus, Galaxy S7, S6, S5, Holds Phones Up To 3.5" Wide https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LWDCSIZ..._kwHbzbT2XFCTJ
Any info about the mirrors?

Old 04-30-2017, 07:56 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
Any info about the mirrors?
Under $13

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B014ERE6NQ...4c880eef2605ff