Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-03-2018, 06:34 PM   #1

How do I square up the rear axle to the frame

as you can see in this picture the rear axle is not square to the frame it is about 1/2" to 3/4" off I tried to loosen all for bolts like I was going to adjust the chain but I can only get it to move so much. Any ideas???
Attachment 12509

Last edited by PANDEMIC; 02-01-2019 at 09:35 AM.

Old 04-03-2018, 07:24 PM   #2

Not sure what bike you have ,but I have had several China atv’s with rear axles welded crooked just like your picture or some even worse .Cut and paste was the only fix .

Old 04-04-2018, 11:37 AM   #3

Agreed. I tried to find an old example pic, but they were all stored in PB. If you remove your swingarm and place a long bolt through the pivot hole, you'll quickly reveal if it is crooked.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 04-04-2018, 12:08 PM   #4

I was once instructed to use a tie-down strap to pull the axle straight, prior to tightening. It worked well for about a week and the axle made its way back sideways. I readjusted the chain and left it crooked. It didn't make it ride sideways or weird so I quit sweating about it.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 04-04-2018, 12:37 PM   #5

2LZ- thanks I remembered reading something like that on here I just couldn't find it again. But don't worry too much it won't cause tires to wear wrong?
also any tips on checking toe in on front wheels?

Old 04-04-2018, 12:40 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
Agreed. I tried to find an old example pic, but they were all stored in PB. If you remove your swingarm and place a long bolt through the pivot hole, you'll quickly reveal if it is crooked.
Pivot hole on frame or swingarm? I assume the frame. But I try not to assume things tends to make an ass out of people. lol

Old 04-05-2018, 11:12 AM   #7

The hole in the swingarm. In other words, completely remove the swingarm from the quad and then place a long bolt through the hole, which will show you just how far out of whack the welding can be. You'll see how the bolt should be perpendicular to the sides of the swingarm, but it is not.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 04-05-2018, 12:23 PM   #8

I have had a few that were so bad the chain flew off every 10 feet or less ,very frustrating .

Old 04-05-2018, 07:05 PM   #9

can I buy a better swing arm??

Old 04-05-2018, 08:48 PM   #10

I think that would be a crapshoot .It has never been hard to cut and reweld them properly ,I would be afraid of getting something shipped in that is just as messed up as the one you are starting with .

Old 04-06-2018, 11:44 AM   #11

I've given some thought to transplanting a quality swingarm onto my quad, like maybe from a Yamaha Blaster. Not sure how much fab work it would take, but it would be straight and it would have superior chain adjusters.

Old 04-06-2018, 01:15 PM   #12

chain adjustment

Hello.... search ... CHAIN ADJUSTMENT... ON PAGE 2 is my post to adjust the chain... and then TIGHTEN THE BOLTS GOOD so they do not come loose... it fixes this.. spread within 1/2 inch front to back on both sides... you can use a 1 inch ratchet strap to help adjust...