Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Everything Else
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-06-2018, 10:46 AM   #1

Magneto damage

Picked up a used Manco 6150 Helix kart, GY6 150cc. The previous owner ran 2 screws into the cooling fan right into the magneto. Replaced it, got the kart running but I don't think the electric choke is working. Wondering if when the magneto got hit with the screws would anything have happened to the resistor for the electric choke. I read somewhere the resistor limits voltage to the choke in the event of a voltage surge. Don't want to buy a choke assembly without knowing if the resistor is good.

Thanks in advance

Old 02-06-2018, 11:30 AM   #2

What is the symptom that leads you to suspect the choke isn't working?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 02-06-2018, 11:38 AM   #3

There are numerous YouTube videos showing how to test the enricher to verify the needle is extending.

Old 02-06-2018, 11:41 AM   #4

I replaced the spark plug, adjusted the valves, new air filter, oil change, coil, CDI module and checked the intake manifold for cracks. None found, but kart would stall coming to a stop. Mixture screw made no difference. I disassembled the carb, soaked it in a dip tank overnight, rinsed it out and blew it out with compressed air. Reassembled but still no change with the mixture screw. Thinking the plunger isn't extending into the enrichment port in the carb allowing excess fuel to dump into the carb. Exhaust smells rich too.

Old 02-06-2018, 01:04 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heapmann View Post
Exhaust smells rich too.
Deficient petcock diaphragm . . allowing fuel to bypass carb via vacuum line?

Old 02-06-2018, 11:43 AM   #6

I've watched the YouTube videos regarding the plunger operation but I also read if the resistor took a hit it could fry the new choke assembly. That's my worry.

Thanks

Old 02-06-2018, 02:54 PM   #7

Replaced the petcock also, noticed it was leaking when I did the carb work. Didn't help.

Thanks

Old 02-06-2018, 03:48 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heapmann View Post
previous owner ran 2 screws into the cooling fan right into the magneto
Any chance the crankshaft-flywheel woodruff key was sheared . . which would throw off the pickup-coil ignition timing a bit?

Insert a probe into sparkplug hole to determine when the piston is at top-dead-center . . then observe if the flywheel T-mark is aligned with the case indicator.

Old 02-06-2018, 09:01 PM   #9

The key for the magneto wasn't sheared but the key for the starter clutch was. The nut came loose somehow and the clutch just spun on the crankshaft when trying to start the kart. Used a puller to remove the clutch and replaced the key. High speed circuit is fine in the carb, it's the idle circuit that is troublesome.

Thanks

Old 02-07-2018, 11:00 AM   #10

When you soaked the carb overnight, did you unscrew the slow jet or leave it in place?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 02-07-2018, 01:51 PM   #11

Yes, every jet was removed. Ran a bread tie wire through each jet hole, made sure I could see light through every jet. I think I'll pick up a voltmeter and test the resistor. I need one anyway. More than likely the by-starter or choke is dumping fuel into the enrichment port when warm. If the resistor tests good it would almost certainly indicate a failed electric choke. Appreciate the help and suggestions from everyone. I'll update once the issue is resolved.

Thanks

Old 02-07-2018, 05:48 PM   #12

Upon further review, I don't think my kart has a bystarter resistor. Went through the factory manuals, didn't see one for mine. The bystarter is powered by a "run/hot" circuit from the stator. Gonna pick one up & try it. Thanks again for all of the suggestions. If you have any more thoughts please submit them!

Thank you

Old 02-09-2018, 02:02 PM   #13

Update on the bystarter or electric choke. Set up the choke with a 12V power supply and watched to see if the pintle would extend. After about 3 minutes the pintle extended as it should have. Looks like there is still a blockage in the old carb. Sometimes the only option with these carbs is to replace them. The kart sat a good while before I bought it. Issues like this are to be expected.

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pintle_extended.jpg (97.9 KB, 166 views)
File Type: jpg pintle_retracted.jpg (94.8 KB, 170 views)

Old 02-13-2018, 12:39 PM   #14

Too many cobwebs in my head, so I'm struggling to remember how the enrichment circuit works. I thought the enrichment circuit was deactivated once the device warms up and extends, thereby sealing the needle to the seat; is that your understanding?

Old 02-16-2018, 08:47 PM   #15

Yes, that's exactly how it works. There is a wax pack in the connector above the pintle. As the wax is heated it pushes the pintle into the enrichment port closing off the excess fuel needed for cold starts. It also brings the fast idle down with the decrease in fuel. My initial thought was the bystarter wasn't heating, keeping the pintle retracted and allowing excess fuel into the carb causing a rough idle and stall. The pintle is working though so the rough idle and stalling leads me back to a blockage in the carb or something causing the poor performance.