Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-24-2015, 01:56 AM   #3091

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishman10 View Post
My brand new jc whitney trunk had a crappy flimsey mounting plate which it wouldnt stay latched too!! ,,so i got the old one (same size} out from my old zong and mounted it and it works and latches down down perfect and the mount plate it definately made better at the latch point.
That's good info, Fish. Perhaps the JC Whitney trunks aren't the value they were a couple of years ago.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 04-24-2015, 02:10 AM   #3092

Grin Ride Report and a question

I picked up my RX3 from CSC last week, then spent 4 days camping along the 1 taking it back to Oakland. My hat goes off to the helpful and knowledgeable folks I met at CSC. I feel like I am in good hands for the coming years of maintenance and mishap on this great bike

This bike is a freaking dream machine.The 250 cranks out enough power to go 65 on the freeway which is all I need, although it does get pretty buzzy. I just got an Airhawk so maybe that along with some handguards with threaded inserts will improve the comfort.

It's so easy to mount luggage securely on this bike due to the great engine guards. Notice the backpack mounted to the front engine guard in the photo above; it's much better to ride with weight forward and low like that than with big aluminum cases.

A question: I'm looking at handguards now and wondering about how to get big bar adapters on 1" bars. All the adapters I have been able to find are 1 1/8" adapters :ear:

Old 04-24-2015, 02:30 AM   #3093

That sounds like a terrific adventure!

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 04-24-2015, 02:38 AM   #3094

Quote:
Originally Posted by paisleyrider View Post
I picked up my RX3 from CSC last week, then spent 4 days camping along the 1 taking it back to Oakland. My hat goes off to the helpful and knowledgeable folks I met at CSC. I feel like I am in good hands for the coming years of maintenance and mishap on this great bike

This bike is a freaking dream machine.The 250 cranks out enough power to go 65 on the freeway which is all I need, although it does get pretty buzzy. I just got an Airhawk so maybe that along with some handguards with threaded inserts will improve the comfort.

It's so easy to mount luggage securely on this bike due to the great engine guards. Notice the backpack mounted to the front engine guard in the photo above; it's much better to ride with weight forward and low like that than with big aluminum cases.

A question: I'm looking at handguards now and wondering about how to get big bar adapters on 1" bars. All the adapters I have been able to find are 1 1/8" adapters :ear:
Thanks for posting the nice report.

The handlebars are 1-inch, so you can use the standard, big bar adapters.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Last edited by SpudRider; 09-20-2015 at 03:32 AM.

Old 04-24-2015, 04:30 AM   #3095

Spud, Steve told me they bars are 1" at the triple clamp and they taper to 7/8. I tried to order Nexgen handguards from HDB and they refused to sell to me because neither their 7/8 or 9/8 adapters would fit if 1" adapters dont exist the best option I can see is 9/8 with some sugru or other filler to fill the gap.

Weld, it was a transformative experience. I feel like I went from zero to hero in the span of a few days, from dropping my bike twice in the lot at CSC to ending the trip alive with 600 on the odometer. Camping on the beach under the stars... perfection. wish my gopro was funcionando but there's more to come.

Old 04-24-2015, 06:28 AM   #3096

Quote:
Spud, Steve told me they bars are 1" at the triple clamp and they taper to 7/8. I tried to order Nexgen handguards from HDB and they refused to sell to me because neither their 7/8 or 9/8 adapters would fit if 1" adapters dont exist the best option I can see is 9/8 with some sugru or other filler to fill the gap.

Weld, it was a transformative experience. I feel like I went from zero to hero in the span of a few days, from dropping my bike twice in the lot at CSC to ending the trip alive with 600 on the odometer. Camping on the beach under the stars... perfection. wish my gopro was funcionando but there's more to come.
Just to be certain, I measured my handlebars at the triple clamps; they are 1-1/8 inch in diameter.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 04-24-2015, 09:00 AM   #3097

handguards

I also want some handguards ,,has any one found any that look ,good and ptotect,,,Theres no way of matching the color ,,mines also the weird orange/sunflower yellow,,,so i was figuring black or carbon fiber finish.. Thanks

Old 04-24-2015, 09:26 AM   #3098

Quote:

HDB didn't have a problem selling me the Next Gen handguards. Money is money, I guess. They don't work. I'm going to wind up ordering their bars. I just have to determine what bend I'd like. I got the blue, and it matches the bike quite well. I'll make them work.

Old 04-24-2015, 12:04 PM   #3099

Thanks for measuring Spud, I'm happy to be wrong

Tony, which part of the NexGen handguards did not work? Is the windscreen getting in the way? Seemed like that was the tightest tolerance when I was visualizing install.

Old 04-24-2015, 12:26 PM   #3100

Quote:
Tony, which part of the NexGen handguards did not work? Is the windscreen getting in the way? Seemed like that was the tightest tolerance when I was visualizing install.
I didn't even get to the windshield. The bar clamps would not fit around the plastic that surrounds the key. Raising the bar might help a bit. I may do that anyway, if I'm going to do any standing on the pegs. I really like HDB. I've had them on other bikes. They work great.

Old 04-24-2015, 01:45 PM   #3101

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishman10 View Post
I also want some handguards ,,has any one found any that look ,good and ptotect,,,Theres no way of matching the color ,,mines also the weird orange/sunflower yellow,,,so i was figuring black or carbon fiber finish.. Thanks
I've got Tusk D-Flex Handguards mounted on the 1-1/8" handlebars of my Honda CRF250X. In the next few days I will check to see if they also fit the RX3. If so, I will be also be ordering a pair for the RX3 as well.

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p...x%20handguards

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p...x%20handguards

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Last edited by SpudRider; 04-24-2015 at 02:20 PM.

Old 04-24-2015, 01:55 PM   #3102

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider View Post
I've got Tusk D-Flex Handguards mounted on the 1-1/8" handlebars of my Honda CRF250X. In the next few days I will check to see if they also fit the RX3. If so, I will be also be ordering a pair for the RX3 as well.
I'm really looking forward to hearing if these work. How would you rate handguard install for someone new to doing maintenance?

Old 04-24-2015, 02:05 PM   #3103

It certainly would be nice to have a bolt-on hand guard solution. At first I thought all I wanted was something to keep the HippoHands off the levers, but I'll eventually be doing some more serious adventuring on unpaved roads and will need brush and drop protection. Might as well get 'er done.

I'm also thinking the small turn signals so close to the headlight may not be visible to other drivers. The Freightliner Cascadia turn signals can not be seen at all from the front when the headlights are on. Since I've noticed it on my Cascadia I've seen the same phenomenon on many other vehicles. LED turn/clearance lights recessed in brush guards would be an excellent solution when the Hippo Hands are not being used.

Old 04-24-2015, 02:13 PM   #3104

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldqwerty View Post
It certainly would be nice to have a bolt-on hand guard solution. At first I thought all I wanted was something to keep the HippoHands off the levers, but I'll eventually be doing some more serious adventuring on unpaved roads and will need brush and drop protection. Might as well get 'er done.

I'm also thinking the small turn signals so close to the headlight may not be visible to other drivers. The Freightliner Cascadia turn signals can not be seen at all from the front when the headlights are on. Since I've noticed it on my Cascadia I've seen the same phenomenon on many other vehicles. LED turn/clearance lights recessed in brush guards would be an excellent solution when the Hippo Hands are not being used.
These Tusk D-Flex Handguards use the same mounting hardware as mine, but include turn signals. If my Tusk handguards without turn signals fit, these handguards with turn signals will also fit.

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p...turn%20signals

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 04-24-2015, 02:44 PM   #3105

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodlandsprite View Post
I'm really looking forward to hearing if these work. How would you rate handguard install for someone new to doing maintenance?
I might get a chance to do the test fit today. The handguard installation is not difficult, especially if you see photographs of the handguards installed on the same motorcycle as yours.

I will also be ordering the Tusk Grip Heater Kit.

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p...erm=1246950001

These grips heaters work great. I have them installed on both my Zongshen ZS200GY-2, and my Honda XR650L.

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220