Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Street
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-20-2008, 11:52 PM   #1

Out the crate?

Hi Everyone,

This may be an overly simplified question but I got my LF200 today and the delivery is perfect. All was there and no issues. Guy even got it up and into my garage with little effort.

SO now my question is what did everyone do to get the bike up and out of the crate and what did you use to lift the bike up to mount the front wheel?

I am guessing just a forklift but I wanted to double check so I could imitate and not reinvent the wheel. ... No pun intended.

Also should I put in any grease ?

Thanks!!!

Old 02-21-2008, 09:00 AM   #2

Well

Well, what fun would that be to have you learn how to do this by telling you the easy way ?

As reluctant as I am to do this , because I had to learn this four times now, each one slightly different , I wil go ahead and help you out , a little .

Unbolt as much of the steel frame as possible it came in, unbolt the bike from the frame, all the way . Lift the motor part of the cycle onto an ATV jack or simular aperatous with brute force from the tripple tree area , manuvering the bike over to the jack out of the crate area mostly if not all the way , jack up the motor , the front end will rise . Jack until your at a comfy height to your front axel level on the rim when you are slidng it into the forks. DONE !
Then go to the rear and do the same to instal the mono-shock .
Smart men or women would have a friend help them for all this, but I did it alone 4 times so far .

With a name like TWEAK I would have thought you would have already figured this out late at night with the green boogy woogy people that haunt the South and stair into your window at night ?

Later hope this helps, but that was very hard for me to do this fellas .

Kelly5150

Old 02-21-2008, 10:06 AM   #3

A motorcycle jack is recommended but not required, I simply lifted the bike onto a 5 gallon paint bucket and it worked just fine... As for grease, yes grease everything most bikes don't come with any lube...

Old 02-21-2008, 10:22 AM   #4

Someone had suspended their bike, an enduro, from straps from their garage ceiling. If you look through some of the earlier galleries, you might find the photos--I don't remember the member's name, however.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 02-21-2008, 10:25 AM   #5

ok, here it is...member's name was 'alchemy'

http://chinariders.net/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=1778

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 02-21-2008, 11:04 AM   #6

The cheapest solution since you have a garage is to use a pair of the ratcheting straps attached to the triple trees and the other end on the rafters of the garage. Only lift it high enough to get the wheel on it or to put a bucket or stand under it to work on it from there.

See above post for pictures.

I use come along jacks and loader tractors.

Allen

Old 02-21-2008, 12:26 PM   #7

My bike came in a crate which was bolted together. I unbolted everything to gain access to the bike. Then I picked up the front of the bike (it's not that heavy) and my wife slid a crate under the skid plate. (A five gallon bucket would have been better but I didn't have one). It's not a big deal.

Old 02-21-2008, 12:57 PM   #8

this is probobly not the best method but...
I was by myself too
I unbolted and removed the entire "cage" leaving the bike on the crate bottom
then I unbolted the fork
all the while I had to hold the bike with one hand
then I put it up on the center stand and put about a thirty pound wieght on the grab rail (which I had handy before hand)
that made the bike stay on the back tire allowing me to put the front tire on
(then I took the front tire off as I forgot to put the fender on as is was still stored on the back tire)
Then back on with the tire
I could then just roll the bike off from the crate base

I did this to two bikes in the same day
stupid to not ask for help? yeah
but I bet we've all been there

if I had to do it again I would get help or use the strap idea but I had none around and was anxious to put it together
it's cold here in Buffalo but I just took them both out for a spin (just down the street a couple of times) and life is good

Old 02-21-2008, 01:52 PM   #9

After three bikes (all street), I always unbolt the front fork from the crate and used the center stand and ask my girlfriend or who ever is standing around to apply pressure to the rear of the bike while on the center stand so it will lift the front forks up and I can attach the front wheel.

btw, I'm glad you received your new bike in one piece.

Hope that helps,

Almon

Old 02-21-2008, 02:38 PM   #10

Good tip to Almon. Should work for the streetbikes. Dirt doesn't have a center stand.

Not everyone has a garage or something to lift with.

Another suggestion is to hire a couple of football players to hold the bike up in the air while you spend 3 hours bolting everything on.

Allen

Old 02-22-2008, 02:51 AM   #11

Thanks for all the great tips. I was really curious as to see what the easiest way was. I ended up putting the motorcycle jack underneath the front and lifted it at an angle right top of it after unbolting the crate around it. It balanced on its frame and tilted back while I put the wheel on. I then rolled it right off.

Alot of good ideas and information out of this.

Tommorrow i am going to tighten/loctite things, oil change, and hook up the battery.

Old 02-22-2008, 08:35 AM   #12

I like the

I like the football player idea Katoranger .
My deviation to that plan would be Cheerleaders, not football players .
Pretty silly of most of us here to think everyone actually has a garage ?
But where do they keep thier bikes if they don't ? Out in the rain on the street ? Thats a terrble thing to do to a bike. Maybe they are lucky enough to have a house to park it in the front room . That would be nice biker behavoiur .
Why does everyone use Lock-tight ? Has nobody here ever tried lockwashers or what ? I don't use any locktight on any of my bikes, with no problems whatsoever , Harley or the Norton or my dirt bikes . Shaker washers and lockwashers are much nicer to work with and you don't have all that crud all over your bolts everytime you take them off . I am guessing none of you have airpcraft backrounds ?
Use good Moly based grease on your stuff too Tweak , it is nice and slippery and lasts a long time , especially on pivit points you won't be taking on and off much or ever .

Later Tweak , good luck and happy motoring ,

Kelly5150 out

Old 02-22-2008, 09:54 AM   #13

I like you idea kelly. a whole squad of scantily clad college cheerleaders....okay just went into fantasy mode here. hehe

uh and I am one of the unfortunates who has to keep their bike out in the weather under a cover. it breaks my heart, but I have no choice.

Old 02-22-2008, 05:27 PM   #14

Hee hee hee

Hee hee hee

Kelly5150 out

Old 02-24-2008, 11:19 AM   #15

Thanks for the help everyone!!!

The bike is up and running. I started off just going to do the oil change, then i pulled the air box and swapped the new air filter replacement.

I went for the quick first ride yesterday and for the money I think this is a great deal.

Thanks for everyone across multiple sites in helping me decide to buy this and all of the helpful hints.

Tweak