Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-11-2012, 09:10 PM   #1

Limited Beast leaking fuel

Hey my GF had had this 2010 limited beast for around 3 years, (one of the first owned in canada -- long before the auction had them!)

And it ran great, idled great. I started having problems with ignition cutting out. So after finding tons of shorts in the harness I ended up rewiring the whole machine. I also converted to a larger Battery that hangs just behind the rear shock.

Anyways fast forward half a summer, machine ran great, then all of a sudden it wouldn't start. Then I got it to start and it revved super high, then died. I couldn't get it to idle but it WOULD stay running (rough) if you gave it throttle.

Then I noticed tons of fuel leaking out of the carbs intake (where air filter attaches). This would mean either the flaot is sticking, or the needle is not seating. I ended up getting a free carb from a friend from a 09 beast 200, swapped the entire carb on, and SAME ISSUE.

Pulled the carbs apart, there is nothing blocking the needs (I can blow thru them just fine). And my GFs is SUPER clean, since the machine only has like 8 hours on it (if that).

So now I'm stumped, sorry for the LONG thread, any ideas???

Old 03-12-2012, 12:18 AM   #2

Welcome!

The stock carbs suck. Buy a 30mm Mikuni on eBay for $40 delivered, change the jets to a 25 slow and 110 main and have a nice day.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 03-12-2012, 02:10 AM   #3

I just don't get why the machine would act up all of a sudden?

I am soooo stressed out with the problem, I'm considering just parting it out or sellingas is lol!

Old 03-12-2012, 10:43 AM   #4

Not sure, but a new 30mm Mikuni will make you happy.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 03-13-2012, 12:48 PM   #5

Just ordered a mikuni. I hope it comes with the thrittle cable. It looks like it does though. Also grabbed the $7 filter too lol.

I have been thinking about a way to modify the filter to another location. On the limited the battery box is BEHIND the rear shock, so tons of dust, dirt and water all splashes straight off the wheels onto the filter.

I'll admit though the limited is a FAR better built machine than the original beast. The frame is ALOT better built. The over all machine weighs probably >50 lbs.

Old 03-13-2012, 11:10 PM   #6

I used an old Reliance water container as donor plastic on my daughter's 150 Monster quad. The filter stays nice and dry, thanks to the blue shield.

Old 03-28-2012, 11:19 PM   #7

Ok So I got my new mikuni carb tonight, so I went and threw it on.

IT DID THE SAME THING.

I am so confused. When I put the new carb on when the machine is NOT running as soon as I hook up the fuel line gas runs out all the vents on the carb and out the air cleaner spot.

So I don't get it.... I have tried adjusting the floats, still nothing. Any ideas?????

Stock carb -- leaks
2nd stock carb -- leaked
New mikuni -- leaked.

Anyone????

Old 03-29-2012, 01:00 AM   #8

Weird. Let's take it one step at a time. Tell us about how you set the float level.

Old 03-29-2012, 12:50 PM   #9

Ok on the first carb, when it first started overfilling, we pulled the carb apart and made sure the needle was seating properly. Then tried adjusting the float a bit so it wouldn't go as high (by bending the tab a little bit).

And it still over flowed the same.

So I tried a completely different carb, and it did the same thing. Then the new mikuni the same too lol. If it was the floats wouldn't each one be different?

Is there a specific way to set them?

Old 03-29-2012, 03:07 PM   #10

My method for adjusting the floats on a 30mm Mikuni is to remove the bowl and turn the carb upside down. With the carb sitting on a flat and level surface, the parting line of the plastic float should be parallel with the float bowl surface. Bend the tab as necessary.

Old 03-29-2012, 03:44 PM   #11

The only thing I saw was that the pilot jet is open....even when the floats are closed... So the fuel can just keep going up thru the pilot jet until it overfills thru the intake.

I'm so stumped since one day the original just stopped working right. Never had an issue before.

Old 03-29-2012, 03:56 PM   #12

Please explain. When you say pilot jet, do you mean float needle and seat? The pilot jet is a mixture screw that helps to transition from idle to main; it's located on the underside of the carb, near the intake tube.

Old 04-01-2012, 03:02 PM   #13

So figured it out. And let me tell you, I feel like a completee idiot!

First let me start by saying (to make myself feel better) that I removed the carb last year already, so I guess didn't remember 100% how it went mack together.

I had the fuel line hooked to the overflow valve on the BOTTOM of the carb. So lesson learned lol do not take it apart until you can put it back together, so you remember how it went back together.

At least it runs again lol!

Old 04-01-2012, 10:34 PM   #14

Ok so now I have a new issue, which I think is carb related.

Its no longer leaking fuel. BUT when idling it is like "putt putt putt VROOOOOOOOOOM PUTT PUTT PUTT"

Not touching anything. It keep jumping up then almost dying them jumping up.

Anyone have this issue?
Its on the new mikuni carb with stock jetting.

Old 04-02-2012, 12:50 AM   #15

Perhaps it's a vacuum leak. Try spraying some WD-40 around where the intake tube meets the head. If the rpm changes, that's it.