Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2016, 09:53 PM   #1

The 35 dollar Mikuni VM26

Is the 35 dollar "Mikuni" that you guys are buying a Knockoff? Because I'm seeing Mikuni VM26's for like 90 bucks ish. I do see the 35 dollar one on Ebay but the pics show it saying Mikuni on it too. Just doing my homework and learning all I can. I asked this question in another thread, with no luck. But serves me right for trying to hijack the mans thread .

Old 11-06-2016, 10:10 PM   #2

I have not purchased one myself but yes, in another post I read that it is a knock off, but a very good one.

Old 11-06-2016, 10:46 PM   #3

Gotcha! Thank you! I guess it's so good they even put Mikuni on it.

Old 11-06-2016, 11:24 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsride View Post
Is the 35 dollar "Mikuni" that you guys are buying a Knockoff? Because I'm seeing Mikuni VM26's for like 90 bucks ish. I do see the 35 dollar one on Ebay but the pics show it saying Mikuni on it too. Just doing my homework and learning all I can. I asked this question in another thread, with no luck. But serves me right for trying to hijack the mans thread .
This big price differential is because there are two variations of the VM-26 Mikuni carburetor. The $30 dollar ones have a butterfly choke, and are made in the thousands for 4 wheelers. The $85 dollar ones are made for higher class motorcycles that don't want a choke butterfly, instead use an enrichment circuit for starting. The choke butterfly is a restriction in the carburetor, and reduces air flow somewhat. That's why there is such a price difference between the two. Yes, they are both Mikuni's, just made for different markets.

Old 11-06-2016, 11:31 PM   #5

The real Mikuni VM26 doesn't use a butterfly choke but the knock offs are still pretty good. They are also stamped Japan-TA but probably come from China and made for Chinese bikes.

The real ones use a valve choke if I remember right. It's a brass pin that goes into the carb and changes the fuel/air ratio for cold starting.